HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Laurence Tribe on Lawrenc...

Thu Dec 16, 2021, 11:53 PM

Laurence Tribe on Lawrence,

Laurence Tribe is a bit smarter than I am. He won 35 Supreme Court cases.

Tribe stated that DOJ needs to be running parallel investigations along with the select committee. Tribe stated that there is enough evidence out their to investigate from Trump on down. Tribe says if DOJ doesn't act our democracy is doomed.

Tribe cited 2 laws that DOJ can charge Trump on down with. One carries a 20 year sentence and the other a 10 year sentence, with no possibility of ever holding office.

The good news is that Tribe gave the opinion that Garland was acting cautiously but Tribe surmised that he hopes with the latest trove of evidence coming out that he expects Garland to change his cautious ways.

17 replies, 2303 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to gab13by13 (Original post)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:11 AM

1. I always pay close attention to Laurence Tribe ...

I turn up the volume.. try to memorize every detail ....I listened closely tonight...I sense Garland has had a chat with him as well ..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:11 AM

2. Where is the FBI? The DOJ? When will they do anything other than charge low level thugs?

Reply to this post

Response to dem4decades (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:14 AM

4. I know where some are,

defending the office of the presidency for Trump in the defamation law suit with E. Jeanne Carroll.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:14 AM

3. Garland must be loathe to pursue this aggressively.

He has to be sensitive to accusations of partisan persecution.

Reply to this post

Response to Frasier Balzov (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:16 AM

5. Fiona Hill explained the flip side to your comment,

The greatest threat to our democracy is doing nothing.

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #5)

Response to Frasier Balzov (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:57 AM

9. Who gives a rat's ass.

No one could possibly come close to the level of partisanship the Trump Department of Injustice threw around.

No more Mr. Nice Guy. It's time to take the kid gloves off when it comes to King Con.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:20 AM

6. Tribe has a credible viewpoint. But, democracy will survive whether DOJ

sits on sideline or not.

Sorry.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:43 AM

8. not here.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 01:38 AM

12. I've been following politics for over 50 years and I've never been scared for our country until now

Reply to this post

Response to Poiuyt (Reply #12)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 01:55 AM

15. Me too.

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #10)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 01:24 AM

11. Some of those foot soldiers are facing 20 year felony sentences. Nt

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #10)

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 01:42 AM

13. Not doing anything re: Trump et al is as political as going after him

Garland is making a political statement, just not one that's good for America.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 01:47 AM

14. Opinion: A federal court has ruled that obstructing the electoral vote count is illegal. Trump shoul

From Prof Tribe

U.S. District Judge Dabney L. Friedrich ruled last week that an effort to interrupt the counting of the electoral votes can be a crime — even if no violence was contemplated.

Friedrich’s ruling came in the case against Ronald Sandlin and Nathaniel DeGrave, two men accused of storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. In doing so, she refused to throw out charges that they had “corruptly” obstructed an official proceeding before Congress by “entering and remaining in the United States Capitol without authority and committing an act of civil disorder, and engaging in disorderly and disruptive conduct.”

The judge made a critical finding that the counting of the electoral votes in the House is an “official proceeding.” Her logic is airtight: “There is a presiding officer, a process by which objections can be heard, debated, and ruled upon, and a decision — the certification of the results — that must be reached before the session can be adjourned. Indeed, the certificates of electoral results are akin to records or documents that are produced during judicial proceedings, and any objections to these certificates can be analogized to evidentiary objections.”.....

Former acting solicitor general Neal Katyal has been voicing this exact argument for some time. “Judge Friedrich’s decision means the prosecutors don’t have to show someone intended violence for it to be a crime,” he explains. “So long as the intent was to influence and disrupt the congressional function of counting the votes, that is sufficient — so long as it was done ‘corruptly.’ ” Katyal notes that the judge cited “a prior ruling by a conservative superstar jurist, Judge Laurence Silberman, [who] defined ‘corruptly’ to be doing something by unlawful means.”

Katyal argues: “So as long as the intent was to disrupt the count, it would suffice to be criminal, which of course makes a lot of sense given the grave stakes here.” What is true of these two defendants, he adds, “goes for others, including anyone in the White House who aided the disruption.” He concludes that “Judge Friedrich’s decision, at bottom, is a how-to manual, demonstrating how government officials, including President Trump, can be criminally indicted."

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 02:17 AM

16. Tribe doesn't have a great track record of predictions

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 17, 2021, 05:17 AM

17. I couldn't agree more!

Reply to this post