HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Off-duty N.J. officer fat...

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:40 AM

Off-duty N.J. officer fatally struck pedestrian, put body in car, prosecutor says

A New Jersey police officer is accused of fatally striking a pedestrian, taking the man's body home to discuss what to do, and then returning to the scene with the dead man in his back seat, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Newark officer Louis Santiago, 25, his passenger, and his mother are charged in the Nov. 1 incident, acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore Stephens II said in a written statement.

Santiago, who was off-duty, allegedly struck Damian Dymka, a 29-year-old nurse, while he was walking around 3 a.m. on the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway.

Neither Santiago nor his passenger, Albert Guzman, called 911 or rendered aid to Dymka after he was struck, the prosecutorís office said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/-duty-nj-officer-fatally-struck-pedestrian-put-body-car-prosecutor-say-rcna6713?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

5 replies, 833 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Off-duty N.J. officer fatally struck pedestrian, put body in car, prosecutor says (Original post)
RandySF Thursday OP
No Vested Interest Thursday #1
NJCher Thursday #2
Skittles Thursday #3
left-of-center2012 Thursday #4
Demovictory9 Thursday #5

Response to RandySF (Original post)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:42 AM

1. OMG...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 03:04 AM

2. I wonder

Last edited Thu Nov 25, 2021, 09:52 AM - Edit history (2)

If dymkaís vehicle had broken down? I donít think I have ever seen a person walking along the Parkway in all the years Iíve traveled it.

This is a horrible story made all the worse by its connections to law enforcement. It certainly shows that Santiagoís first impulse was to cover up. The motherís inclinations were the same, which certainly says something about the integrity of the son.

When they called the father, a police lieutenant, he told them there wasnít a prayer in hell they would get away with it.

------------

on edit: I just learned from another story that this happened not far from where I used to live. In fact, when I lived in that town, I used to take that exit to get home.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/nj-cop-fatally-struck-nurse-brought-body-home-to-mom-prosecutor/ar-AAR5T0n?cvid=89a15fb1b277477490b6389a3c6ac696&ocid=winp1taskbar

Garfield is far enough that the nurse could not have been walking to and from work. I am still curious as to where his car is.

This link does not tell why Dymka was walking on the parkway, but it does have a picture of Santiago.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 03:14 AM

3. WTF

this is not how a normal human being behaves, let alone a first responder

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 05:35 AM

4. Just when I think I have heard everything ...

This comes along and proves me wrong.

It would be bad enough if one person did this,
but three people being that stupid and insensitive blows my mind.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 07:58 AM

5. worse person: Hit-and-run suspect tore phone from victim's hands so he couldn't call for help

https://www.wusa9.com/article/features/producers-picks/manassas-hit-and-run-driver-took-phone-from-victim-so-he-couldnt-call-911/65-8656adf5-404a-465d-bab5-fcd6a96619ea

The crash happened Nov. 15 on Centreville Road near Connor Drive. According to Prince William County Police, Manzanares was walking along the side of the road when Contreras hit him in her car. They say she pulled over in the median, walked over to him and took the cell phone Manzares was using to try and call for help out of his hands and tossed it away. Police say she then drove off, leaving him in the road where he later died. Contreras was captured by police a few blocks away on Burlington Court.

"If she hadn't thrown the phone, he'd be alive," the victim's grieving widow, Ana Irma Castellon de Manzanares, said. "If she had supported him, he would have been in the hospital. If he had been in the hospital, heíd still be alive. We need justice."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread