HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Another smash and grab at...

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 11:30 PM

Another smash and grab at another Nordstrom in Canoga Park (Los Angeles)

https://abc7.com/smash-and-grab-topanga-mall-robbery-nordstrom-canoga-park/11268844/

CANOGA PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police and paramedics responded to the scene of a smash-and-grab robbery at the Nordstrom store in Westfield Topanga mall Wednesday.

Multiple police cruisers, as well as fire trucks and ambulances, were seen parked outside the Nordstrom store at the popular shopping complex in Canoga Park.
Just before 7 p.m. a group of men committed a smash-and-grab at the Nordstrom store and ran out with an unknown amount of goods. At least one of the suspects was described as wearing an orange wig.

A security guard was pepper-sprayed during the robbery.

8 replies, 997 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Another smash and grab at another Nordstrom in Canoga Park (Los Angeles) (Original post)
IcyPeas Wednesday OP
Demovictory9 Wednesday #1
Lucid Dreamer Thursday #2
Raine Thursday #3
Captain Zero Thursday #5
jcmaine72 Thursday #4
cinematicdiversions Thursday #6
PlanetBev Thursday #7
mnhtnbb Thursday #8

Response to IcyPeas (Original post)

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 11:52 PM

1. Been to that mall

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 12:17 AM

2. Change in Nordstrom's retail model is due, perhaps.

Get ALL the stock out of their showrooms. Put product in safes.

The show room would have pictures or mockups or video displays of said merchandise.

Customers point at what they want... pay for it... wait a couple of hours for delivery.

That worked for Service Merchandise back in the '90s.

Reply to this post

Response to Lucid Dreamer (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 01:04 AM

3. I remember those "catalog showrooms" besides Service Merchandise

there was a couple other companies that did it that way too. I bought several things from them.

Reply to this post

Response to Lucid Dreamer (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:03 AM

5. I always thought of Service Merchandise as Shopping in Russia

Of course before computerization they would send up a paper tag requesting the item the customer had seen and purchased in the showroom. Wait 30 minutes and sometimes the tag would come back, "Out of Stock". Haha. Lines got longer. People got frustrated and in my case I got to where I left and quit ever shopping there.

so thats why I called it 'Shopping in Russia' / Long lines/no product or different product.

I suppose now if an item was out of stock the computerization would catch it at the order desk and customer would be notified immediately. Whereupon they could leave of go looking for another item to order.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 01:37 AM

4. Gov. Newsom needs to tweak the law a little and lower the amount that constitutes felony theft

I don't know what it was before the law changed, but obviously $950 seems to be the sweet spot for shoplifters. Perhaps if it were lowered by half, or two-thirds?

At any rate, I hope the law can be adjusted within reason. We mustn't forget the lessons of the past year. There are deep-seated societal problems and inequities that also need to be addressed here. Those aren't problems that we can just incarcerate our way out of. Hopefully, some kind of sensible balance can be found between discouraging theft while eliminating the conditions within society that create a need for it.

Reply to this post

Response to jcmaine72 (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:47 AM

6. We need to incarcerate anyone who attacks workers at a store and robs it

This is not a high bar. They need to be in jail.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:52 AM

7. I guess we're next

Unless the flash mobs donít want to drive out to the Thousand Oaks Nordstrom.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 05:11 AM

8. I lived right down the street from there

in a townhouse development in Woodland Hills in the early '80's. Great neighborhood with a nice park right across the street. Could take Topanga Canyon over to the beach without having to deal with freeway traffic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread