HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Drawbridge Stuck Open For...

Mon Nov 22, 2021, 01:34 AM

Drawbridge Stuck Open For Almost Two Days in Seattle

Now here's another reason why we need an infrastructure overhaul in this country. Not only is this scenario happening in every state of the union, it's not getting better. A legislator would have to have no love or pride in country to oppose it.

via Jalopnik:

Drawbridge Stuck Open For Almost Two Days in Seattle
Burned out transformer keeps vehicles from crossing University Bridge

The estimated repair time was initially a “few hours” for a stuck open Seattle drawbridge over the Lake Washington Ship Canal. A few hours stretched to nearly 48 hours until the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) finally reopened the University Bridge. Over 35,000 vehicles have to find another way over the waterway to northern Seattle.

SDOT later discovered that the transformer in control of the span’s braking mechanism burned out. Maintenance crews had to physically examine every inch to wire on the bridge to locate the source of the short circuit. SDOT was testing the drawbridge’s operations by Sunday morning, and the bridge was soon open to traffic again. However, it is still unclear to authorities what caused the electrical failure on the University Bridge.

The University Bridge has been plagued with issues over the past decade. When the high temperature exceeds 90 degrees, the steel leaves of the draw span are watered down to prevent the leaves from expanding and grinding against each other while opening and closing. The century-old bridge shows other signs of severe age and fatigue, from aging draw gearing to cracked concrete supports. The City of Seattle is currently spending $27 million less than the SDOT’s estimate of $34 million that the department feels should be spent on bridge maintenance.

More here:
https://jalopnik.com/drawbridge-stuck-open-for-almost-two-days-in-seattle-1848097716

3 replies, 910 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drawbridge Stuck Open For Almost Two Days in Seattle (Original post)
JohnnyRingo Nov 22 OP
nolabear Nov 22 #1
LeftInTX Nov 22 #2
captain queeg Nov 22 #3

Response to JohnnyRingo (Original post)

Mon Nov 22, 2021, 01:50 AM

1. They're constantly working on the bridges here.

We joked that the bridge was closed because the bridge was open and it wouldn’t open till it was closed, but seriously, there’s a lifespan issue that’s really coming due in the city. Meanwhile light rail is going like gangbusters though, and will be amazing!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 22, 2021, 02:01 AM

2. I bet that was the bridge we drove over when we went downtown

1963-1965

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 22, 2021, 02:01 AM

3. I used to work on "moveable bridges"

The bascule type shown here is very common. Along with vertical lift spans they are by far the most common. I think the vertical lifts are probably over all; easier to fix. There are a few other types around. I’m not sure the proper term for the rotating, or turn table bridge. I know there’s one down in Oregon and I thinks there’s on in Washington. Washington also has some unique floating spans. I imagine there’s some other stuff out there. Lots of factors affect the decision. I know of a couple that just have a removable deck. You have to have a crane come out to lift it. My understanding is that water traffic came before roads and if water traffic was still possible the road/bridge would have to accommodate it. Those of you around Portland have seen this. They try to arrange the river traffic during off hours as much as possible, but sometimes the I-5 spans are lifted during high traffic hours and it’s a mess.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread