HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Republicans want to move ...

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:06 AM

Republicans want to move forward from the January 6th insurrection.

But, it is not possible.

Once they see that they can get their way by the use of violence, they will return to violence again and again. It's not like January 6th was a one-time attack and it will never happen again.

The Congress has no choice but to get to the truth and to hold those accountable that attacked our Capitol and attempted to overturn an election.

There is no "moving forward". They are not capable of moving forward. They are a one-trick pony that must be defeated and must be held accountable.

The threat of violence is a big part of their plan to take over our government. It would be naive to think you could work with these people.

19 replies, 944 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to kentuck (Original post)

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:23 AM

1. There will be another attempt on a coup . ..

The forces for pro-Democracy will keep their eyes wide open. Republicans are liars, cheats, stealers, con artists with tons of money. I will in my lifetime never ever trust a Republican.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:28 AM

2. Move on. After they've admitted they've been spreading traitorous lies

Every Republican has to come out on TV and say they’ve been spreading lies they didn’t really believe and that Joe Biden obviously and decisively won the presidential election. Then they have to denounce Donald Trump and sever ties with him. Criminals of January 6 have to be punished including the instigators.Then we can move on, motherfuckers. No wait, they also have to denounce their snake oil cures for Covid

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:32 AM

3. When you are GOP there is no accountability for the big crimes.

Why should we start holding them accountable now? Just because we are going to lose our Constitution completely?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:45 AM

4. Sad to to say but most of the country has, too little too late nt

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:52 AM

5. Although we think the rightwingnut GOP are knuckleheads

I believe this situation isn't some haphazard plan. The more I'm seeing of this it sure looks well thought out and strategically planned. If Trump isn't made to pay for his crimes we leave the door wide open for more WW2 Nazi era style attacks on our Democracy. If somehow he is nailed and made to pay for his crimes we might just trigger some type of revolution. Not necessarily a violent revolution, but a revolution that will permanently destroy our Democracy and possibly destroy the union.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:56 AM

6. Yeah, move forward in their efforts to overthrow our government and destroy our Country

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 06:58 AM

7. They are a terminal cancer as long as they hold office

We cannot confront their illegality or sweep them from office until their support in the country softens. We don't need more anger or bitterness or martyrdom. Our greatest ally is the Cheney faction of Republicans. If we are lucky, in 2023 there will be fewer GQP relative to old time GOP in Congress, whether we hold majorities or not.

My guess is rule of law will strike at the head of the movement, abrade its incumbencies, weaken rank and file support, and give sanity room to reassert itself. Because of MAGA breadth and anger, I think rule of law will tread softly and allow seemingly minor points of law at key moments to carry the day. We don't need a crusade. We need to get the job done.

Democratic turnout is key, key, key, but so are voting rights. I think Democrats will outperform their past off-year and midterm turnout. But will it be enough to scatter the vermin? I take heart that we have our voters engaged. Voting could become a habit for large percentages of them. Once you are informed, you remain informed. We must educate voters.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:00 AM

8. Republicans are trying to prevent another Jan 6 ...

... by making it unnecessary. Through voter suppression and the installation of corrupt state election officials eager to disqualify results they don't like, their plan is to steal the next election before it gets to Jan 6.

And every part of this scheme they justify with TFG's Big Lie of a stolen election.

But if that scheme should still fall short, let there be no doubt that heavily armed White supremacists are eager to wage an insurrection greater than the last one.

American democracy remains in great peril, and must be defended with all hands on board.

Reply to this post

Response to Martin Eden (Reply #8)

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:03 AM

9. "American democracy remains in great peril..."

I would say it is in greater peril today than on January 7th, the day after the insurrection.

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:56 AM

15. I agree, today's peril is greater

Rather than recoiling from the atrocity of Jan 6, Republicans have doubled down on the Big Lie behind the insurrection.

They have used their time since then to actively undermine American democracy in their determination to regain Congress and the White House at any cost, oaths of office be damned.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:15 AM

10. I have been urging action for months here,

because the insurrection has only been growing since 1/6. No, it hasn't always been violent, but the insurrection did not stop on 1/6.

As many people have said, an attempted coup with no one held accountable, is practice.

I will be waiting for our DOJ to expedite the Bannon criminal referral because it won't be over when DOJ acts, Bannon will still appeal to the courts.

The coup 2.0 can happen the next time without violence and hoping that Marc Elias can stop it is foolish thinking on our part. The GQP is gerrymandering and passing laws that allow the GQP to decide who won elections instead of the people deciding and there are people like Clarence Thomas on the SC who have made statements declaring that the states right to run its election is absolute.

Democrats should have made S1 its top priority bill to pass, nothing else will matter without free and fair elections. The House did its job with Speaker Pelosi, the Senate has failed with Chuck Schumer. He finally acted the other day bringing up Manchin's voter/election bill for a vote which got zero Republican votes. Doing that should have sent a message to Manchin. It is a start but not what I would have done. I would have broken up S1 into pieces and called for votes on them rapid fire one after the other and when Republicans voted down every sensible bill I would have gone to Manchin and told him we are doing a carve out on the filibuster for S1 you are either for democracy or against it. I wish that Speaker Pelosi could trade places with Schumer for 3 months.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:29 AM

11. If running from responsibility were an Olympic event, R's would take the gold medal.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:29 AM

12. Shit we can even get

Matt Gaetz out of the picture. Just another black mark like so many in the past swept under the rug.

Reply to this post

Response to samplegirl (Reply #12)

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:52 AM

14. I don't know about that,

2 top notch federal prosecutors have been on Gaetz case for the past 3 months. I think there is enough evidence to indict Gaetz and that means that Garland will have a big decision to make whether or not to prosecute one of Trump's biggest ass kissers.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 07:46 AM

13. Sure they do

They planned it, financed it participated in it but did not get the desired outcome so now they are trying to hide it even though we all saw it with our own two eyes.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 09:09 AM

16. The word for advancing a political agenda through the threat of violence is...

..."terrorism".

By tacitly endorsing the January 6 attack, the GOP has become a terrorist organization. They will not abandon terrorism as long as it works for them.

Reply to this post

Response to Mister Ed (Reply #16)

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 09:35 AM

17. You speak the truth,

the GQP is a domestic terrorist organization.

Reply to this post

Response to Mister Ed (Reply #16)

Sun Oct 24, 2021, 05:44 AM

19. It is terrorism.

They should all rot in jail.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 23, 2021, 10:01 AM

18. Sure. Right after we move forward from Trump. Dump trump, then talk about moving forward.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread