HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Is partisan news becoming...

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:07 PM

Is partisan news becoming more of a problem or has it always been this way?

The older I get the more irritated I am becoming with partisan news sources. In other words, your Fox News, MSNBC, Breitbart, Huffington Post, etc. News outlets with a clear agenda, if you will. Now, I would argue right wing media is far more dishonest and destructive than left wing media. However, as I try to take a step back and see things objectively, the more I see just nonstop finger pointing, hypocrisy, propaganda, and flat out lies from partisan media.

Iím sure we are all well versed in the right wing bullshit machine so I donít feel I need to provide any examples from Fox or The Daily Wire. But I do also see similar problems with left wing news. I see headlines from Salon, The Huffington Post, or The Daily Beast doing a lot of what right wing outlets do. They take peopleís quotes out of context, they attack Republicans and conservatives for things they defend Democrats and liberals for doing, they manipulate polling data to fit their narratives, they ignore stories that are too inconvenient to talk about, and they just generally tell their readers what they want to hear. It seems like half of articles and videos from CNN and MSNBC are just attacks on Fox News and vice versa.

The headlines I am bombarded with everyday, whether from right wing or left wing sources, just seem manipulative and like partisan propaganda. There was a time, in my teens and 20s where I was into it. It felt like watching Kieth Olbermann and supporting him was a counter balance to Fox News. But these days, it all just feels petty and dishonest. I am aware that news has never been 100% objective and a lot of the petty pardon squabbling and theatrics are nothing new. History just tends to forget about unimportant political attacks and day to day grandstanding. The question I have been asking myself is whether itís getting worse, with partisan news becoming more and more like propaganda, or if itís always been this way and now I am just starting to notice?

16 replies, 639 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is partisan news becoming more of a problem or has it always been this way? (Original post)
Dr. Jack Sep 2021 OP
msongs Sep 2021 #1
Dr. Jack Sep 2021 #2
FoxNewsSucks Sep 2021 #5
Binkie The Clown Sep 2021 #3
FoxNewsSucks Sep 2021 #7
thucythucy Sep 2021 #12
Dr. Jack Sep 2021 #10
Skittles Sep 2021 #4
Dr. Jack Sep 2021 #9
Hoyt Sep 2021 #6
dweller Sep 2021 #8
leftyladyfrommo Sep 2021 #13
Shermann Sep 2021 #11
Steelrolled Sep 2021 #14
Sympthsical Sep 2021 #15
Nictuku Sep 2021 #16

Response to Dr. Jack (Original post)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:12 PM

1. fox was a sewer 20 yrs ago nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:16 PM

2. Very true

I do notice that people tend to think of the current times they live in as being the worst time and look back on decades prior as somehow better. But was Bill Oíreilly really a better person than Tucker Carlson? Was George W Bush really drastically better than Donald Trump? Knowing how that era ended in retrospect does make it seem less threatening and less bad. But was it? Or is it just the same old bullshit repackaged but not really much different?

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:22 PM

5. It was started that way by design.

I think it's gotten even worse since then. So has rightwing Hate Radio. About 2004 they all went over a cliff, and then the teabag era brought another exponential worsening.

Roger Ailes tried to get Nixon to let him create an "official" news channel to counter the "librul media". Nixon said no. Years later, he pitched the idea to Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch not only said hell yes, he put about $50 million a year into it for about 10 years until it started to turn a profit.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:19 PM

3. The HBO series Deadwood was supposedly reasonably historically accurate...

... And it was made clear that the newspapers of the time were blatantly partisan. I remember researching that subject after I watched the series years ago and discovered that yes indeed. News outlets in the 1700s and 1800s were extremely partisan, perhaps even more so than today.

Read this, through the section on "The Press and the Party System":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_newspapers#Partisan_newspapers

Reply to this post

Response to Binkie The Clown (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:24 PM

7. I think that's always been the case

The difference is, in the past there were multiple outlets. Even small towns had a morning paper and an evening paper. Usually they were politically opposite. So one could get different perspectives.

Now, everything but republiconism has been nearly silenced. Free speech doesn't do much good if there isn't a media outlet to print or air it.

Reply to this post

Response to FoxNewsSucks (Reply #7)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:45 PM

12. Like they say in journalism school:

It's a free press if you own one.

Reply to this post

Response to Binkie The Clown (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:32 PM

10. Interesting

The period in history that I like to study is WW2 and I have leaned the same issues we see today where around back then too. We often like to see things like Lend Lease and the total mobilization of the US economy as things that all Americans supported. But in reality, Republicans opposed FDR at every turn and rarely voted in large numbers for most of his proposals with Republican leaning news papers screaming about the Democrats being communists.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:21 PM

4. I hear you

just the facts news seems to be scarce these days

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #4)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:28 PM

9. I've been reading a lot more just AP and Reuters articles lately

Iím aware no source of news is perfect or without bias but those seem far more neutral. In the end, I donít want to be manipulated, even by my own side. Iím a Democrat through and through but I donít want the Democrats telling me how to think or feel either. I just want information that is as objective as possible and to make up my own mind.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:24 PM

6. Has any of the partisan propaganda changed your mind on things? Probably not. I suspect most

Democrats are the same, not as gullible as we often fear.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:26 PM

8. Cronkite is dead

And with him the truth in media, the last I trusted was Rather

✌🏻

Reply to this post

Response to dweller (Reply #8)

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 05:01 PM

13. Dead and rolling over in his grave. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 04:36 PM

11. Unbiased news is practically impossible

You can watch C-SPAN which is basically watching a webcam set up in Washington. That's unbiased, but there is no conceptualization. So it is like trying to understand how Microsoft Windows works by studying the assembly code. Most people don't have the time or ability for all that. So we need other people purposed with cooking down all this raw information. Is this development good or bad? A threat or harmless? Newsworthy or fluff? That mix of objective and subjective characterizations requires a degree of bias.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 05:19 PM

14. Back in my day

we had three networks, and the news coverage seemed pretty similar. There were probably biases but you wouldn't be aware of them.

With newspapers, I think bias was more subtle. I didn't know whether my paper was conservative or liberal, and I didn't really care. I think it was considered conservative, but they definitely would print syndicated liberal editorial columns. Those might have been an older version of "click bait" trying to get their readers worked up.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 05:33 PM

15. Look at the whipping story this week

Untrue. But Twitter and outrage got ahead of everyone.

The photos and videos were right there. Right. There. And it's like no one checked them. I checked them and knew he didn't hit the guy. They just saw two with a skewed perspective and went to town on it.

People are still repeating it, despite the guy who actually took the photos saying it didn't happen.

It reminds me of that incident where some paper somewhere took a picture of a Florida beach bemoaning how crowded it was during Covid. Then another picture surfaced, and it showed the people were nowhere near each other. Forced perspective made it look all smashed together. Same with these pics. The angle made them look closer than they were.

But noooooo. Fit a narrative. Not even cable news checked.

I've harped on this in a few posts already, but it's totally fucking crazy to me it became a national, oft-repeated story, and no one looked. If they did look, but then they still kept going with it, then they lied.

I almost always fall on the side of, "It's not that they're biased. It's that they're lazy." So many stories are generally, "What happened on Twitter today," because they're easy to do. Also, "journalists" will speak to the same small circle of sources, especially on political stories. The DC/Media closeness is a huge problem. It narrows possible narratives. Every time I see that correspondent's dinner, I think, "This should not be happening. These people should not be friends."

Right now, people are taking Sydney Powell seriously, which, jesus.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 26, 2021, 06:46 PM

16. World News Tonight with David Muir

This is the closest current news program that reminds me of Walter Cronkite. I don't get the same feeling with this as I do with any of the MSNBC news programs.

It is only a half hour, and he pretty much just covers the topics of the day. It is not detailed reporting (not on a 30 minute news program) I don't 'feel' any right or left bias, but since I'm a tree hugging liberal myself, maybe I am biased and just don't see their bias.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread