HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » if anyone needed a GoFund...

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 06:06 PM

if anyone needed a GoFundme, it was this woman (Example of impact of ending unemployment benefits)

glad this article sparked more donations to her gofundme

ĎA perfect storm of horribleí: A single mother, whose daughter has anorexia, lost her unemployment benefits ó now the rent is due

Michelle Gimlin lies on a carpeted floor beside her 23-year-old daughter who sleeps on a twin bed each night. She cannot afford another bed nor is there space for it in their cramped one-bedroom subsidized apartment located in Davis, Calif.

Thatís just one of the many sacrifices she makes for her 5-foot-6 daughter who weighs just 93 pounds.

Her daughter, whose name she asked not to be included to protect her privacy, has been struggling with severe anorexia for three years. Her health providers recommend that she eat 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day, but realistically Gimlin, 50, can only help her eat around 1,000, and that takes hours to accomplish.

Prior to the pandemic, Gimlin worked as a self-employed massage therapist, earning around $4,000 a month. She stopped working in March of 2020, fearing she could contract COVID-19 and spread it to her daughter who is especially vulnerable and cannot get vaccinated due to her medical condition. On top of that, she needs to be with her daughter 24/7 to care for her and ensure she eats.

--------------

But over Labor Day Weekend Gimlin along with some 7.5 million Americans were cut off from unemployment benefits since lawmakers did not extend them past their Sept. 6 expiration date.

Thatís left her and her daughter who, is legally blind as a result of her condition and cannot work, without any income.

ďItís a perfect storm of horrible,Ē Gimlin told MarketWatch. ďIím terrified and sometimes paralyzed with fear and stress. The stress is insurmountable.Ē

---------

I literally cannot leave my daughter alone. She has to eat six times a day and each meal takes hours and grocery shopping takes three hours ó itís really, really painful painfully slow.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/a4v6yg-help-eden-fight-anorexia

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/a-perfect-storm-of-horrible-a-single-mother-whose-daughter-has-anorexia-lost-her-unemployment-benefits-now-the-rent-is-due/ar-AAOqPIH?ocid=msedgntp

8 replies, 826 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply if anyone needed a GoFundme, it was this woman (Example of impact of ending unemployment benefits) (Original post)
Demovictory9 Sep 14 OP
MLAA Sep 14 #1
XanaDUer2 Sep 14 #2
Demovictory9 Sep 14 #3
XanaDUer2 Sep 14 #4
jimfields33 Sep 14 #6
Demovictory9 Sep 14 #7
jimfields33 Sep 14 #8
XanaDUer2 Sep 14 #5

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 06:27 PM

1. Heart breaking. Just made small donation.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 06:32 PM

2. The article has lots of nasty rw comments

of course,

Reply to this post

Response to XanaDUer2 (Reply #2)

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 06:39 PM

3. wow... it sure did. I hadn't read them until now.

Reply to this post

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 06:43 PM

4. yes, the usual claptrap

lazy, liars, get a job. This woman should be getting money to care for her sick daughter and stay home.

Hope the daughter has ssdi...or something

Reply to this post

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 07:51 PM

6. I will say that I'm surprised this is California

I literally thought itíd be Mississippi of Florida.

Reply to this post

Response to jimfields33 (Reply #6)

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 07:54 PM

7. the comments could be coming from any state but we have some a**holes here

Reply to this post

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #7)

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 07:57 PM

8. True. I actually meant the mom and daughter in the story.

I definitely should have been more clear. Iíll be more careful here on out.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 14, 2021, 07:38 PM

5. Kick nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread