HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The COVID-19 vaccines' ab...

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:18 PM

The COVID-19 vaccines' ability to keep people out of the hospital appears to be dropping slightly

The COVID-19 vaccines' ability to keep people out of the hospital appears to be dropping slightly, particularly for those 75 and older, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Monday during an advisory panel.

The CDC has previously estimated that 97% of people in the hospital being treated for COVID-19 are unvaccinated, but that data was collected before the spread of delta, a hyper-transmissible variant that many doctors have warned appears to be making people sicker.

The latest CDC analysis estimates that the ability of the COVID vaccines to keep a person out of the hospital is now between 75% to 95%.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-updates/coronavirus-delta-variant-latest-news/?id=79720727#79723614

8 replies, 1254 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The COVID-19 vaccines' ability to keep people out of the hospital appears to be dropping slightly (Original post)
TheProle Aug 2021 OP
targetpractice Aug 2021 #1
Johonny Aug 2021 #4
Hugh_Lebowski Aug 2021 #2
paleotn Aug 2021 #6
Fiendish Thingy Aug 2021 #3
Chin music Aug 2021 #5
paleotn Aug 2021 #7
ProfessorGAC Aug 2021 #8

Response to TheProle (Original post)

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:25 PM

1. I think vaccinated people are less likely to test...

... And, as a result... Breakthrough cases are way under reported.

I had COVID last year, know what it feels like, and am vaccinated... I had symptoms a couple of weeks ago... sore throat, strange taste in my mouth, coughing, constant sneezing... But, I didn't bother to get tested because whatever I had was mild.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-cdc-only-tracks-a-fraction-of-breakthrough-covid-19-infections-even-as-cases-surge

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to targetpractice (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:35 PM

4. I think this has some truth.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:26 PM

2. These are two different statistics being compared, but then I expect most M$M journalist's

grasp of 'math' to be suspect ...

"The CDC has previously estimated that 97% of people in the hospital being treated for COVID-19 are unvaccinated"

"The latest CDC analysis estimates that the ability of the COVID vaccines to keep a person out of the hospital is now between 75% to 95%."

Those two concepts ... are not the same, do not involve the same calculations, and cannot be compared as the flow of this article seems to suggest.

Mainstream media f***s up on stuff like this ALL THE TIME.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #2)

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:37 PM

6. Ugh. Just ugh.

Is there some statistical malpractice statute they can be charged under? If not, there ought to be. That's criminal.

Attention Journalism majors. If you're looking for some electives that might actually help in your future career pursuits, come on over to the math building. We don't bite. At least not hard.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:34 PM

3. Makes sense, since most of those 75 and over were vaccinated 6-8 months ago

And that is the estimate for when boosters are needed. Good thing booster officially roll out in a couple of weeks.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 05:45 PM

7. Possibly, but those stats don't show that.

They're comparing apples and oranges. Not to say the efficacy of current vaccines won't decline. They most certainly will, given our current level of vaccinations in the US and globally. We're inadvertently, or maybe purposefully, playing a game of find the sweet spot. That place where current variants feel just the right amount of evolutionary pressure to mutate around existing vaccines as quickly as possible.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 06:20 PM

8. Clickbait Headline On This Story

From the article:
However, the vaccine still remain highly effective at preventing serious illness, according to the briefing.

And, the reporting is typical of the last several weeks.
States with high vax rates are those likely to have the highest breakthrough rate. The higher the breakthrough rate, the more likely severe cases arise.
It's a statistical tautology that is regularly misreported.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread