HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » those who say free lunch ...

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 01:55 PM

those who say free lunch "spoils"(!!) children accept unlimited FREE parent volunteer time

schools COULD NOT FUNCTION without the virtually unlimited amount of time parents spend volunteering at schools doing everything from helping with reading, putting on events, running foundations, raising money, recess monitors, crossing guards, etc.

the schools would collapse without this massive input of FREE LABOR

it's time the School Board stopped being spoiled and started to Pay the Parents!!!!

https://sdw.waukesha.k12.wi.us/Page/193

9 replies, 555 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply those who say free lunch "spoils"(!!) children accept unlimited FREE parent volunteer time (Original post)
TomDaisy Aug 2021 OP
USAFRetired_Liberal Aug 2021 #1
MyOwnPeace Aug 2021 #2
USAFRetired_Liberal Aug 2021 #3
leftieNanner Aug 2021 #6
MyOwnPeace Aug 2021 #7
Panich52 Aug 2021 #4
leftieNanner Aug 2021 #5
struggle4progress Aug 2021 #8
TheRealNorth Aug 2021 #9

Response to TomDaisy (Original post)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 01:59 PM

1. One thing that I started to notice

Is that we are paying for teacher’s supplies now also….I had stuff on the school supply list that had nothing to do with what my daughter would use….it included stuff like printing paper, sharpies, dry erase markers, etc…stuff that usually teachers use….and I don’t blame the teachers for passing on the supplies that they need to parents because they shouldn’t have to pay for that stuff out of pocket….I do blame the school districts and boards though, like that stuff should be part of the budget, they are already getting a lot of money from us due to property taxes…why aren’t they paying for supplies

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to USAFRetired_Liberal (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 02:23 PM

2. THAT is outrageous!

As a retired teacher and principal I know how much of my own money went to help make things better in my classroom and schools. It is the district that should be supplying all of the necessary items needed for a classroom of kids and their teachers.

In my last job as a principal before I retired (2007) I had a sign on my office door:

"After we rebuild Iraq - can we rebuild our schools?"

Priorities.......

Reply to this post

Response to MyOwnPeace (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 02:39 PM

3. Yep it is

And like I said, I don’t blame the teachers because they shouldn’t have to pay out of their pockets for basic supplies…I blame the school district….

Reply to this post

Response to MyOwnPeace (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 02:59 PM

6. Bumper Sticker from the past

I look forward to the day when schools have all the money they need and the military has to hold a bake sale to build a bomber.

Reply to this post

Response to leftieNanner (Reply #6)

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 03:05 PM

7. Yes - always DID like that one!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 02:56 PM

4. Good nutrition

School lunches program started by the military because they wanted healthier draftees. Undernourishment is still a problem for many. LBJ's War on Poverty might have made the issue less critical if Nixon hadn't largely abandoned it—with every Repub since and even ignored by most Dems.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 02:58 PM

5. When my children were in elementary school

We were fortunate to live in a California community with fantastic schools. A large part of what made them fantastic was the fact that there were parent volunteers everywhere. When we bought our house, it was affordable and I was able to stay home and be one of those volunteers.

Now it's all much more expensive, so I'm not sure how things are. We moved away in 2009.

And even though it was a fairly prosperous area, there were still children who got free lunch.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 03:20 PM

8. "If children start expecting to eat, what will they want next? Protection from crazed gunslingers?

Schools free of large carnivores? Let's not start slipping down that slope!"

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 27, 2021, 04:02 PM

9. That's how they keep those property taxes low

Which is what a lot of voters in Waukesha really care about. (That, and keeping POC out of their private schools unless they are good at football).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread