HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On This Day: Astronauts l...

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 10:51 PM

On This Day: Astronauts lift off after historic moon landing

TOP NEWS JULY 21, 2021 / 3:00 AM

On July 21, 1969, U.S. astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, lifted off from the moon in the Apollo 11 lunar module Eagle and docked with the command module Columbia piloted by Michael Collins.
By UPI Staff

July 21 (UPI) -- On this date in history:

In 1861, the first major military engagement of the Civil War occurred at Bull Run Creek, Va.

In 1918, a German U-boat fired on the town of Orleans, Mass., on Cape Cod peninsula, damaging a tug boat and sinking four barges, and severely injuring one man. It was the only place in the United States to receive an enemy attack during World War I.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/2021/07/21/On-This-Day-Astronauts-lift-off-after-historic-moon-landing/7071626729520/

1 replies, 283 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply On This Day: Astronauts lift off after historic moon landing (Original post)
turbinetree Jul 21 OP
LastLiberal in PalmSprings Jul 21 #1

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 11:28 PM

1. Nixon had a speech prepared in the event the Eagle couldn't take off after landing.

Text of William Safireís speech for President Richard Nixon, in the event of a disaster besetting Apollo 11.

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

These two men are laying down their lives in mankindís most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

more

Their final conversation might have gone like this:

Armstrong: I thought you had the matches.

Aldrin: I thought you had the matches.

One final bit of trivia: Buzz Aldrin's father was such an asshole he criticized his son for not being the first man to set foot on the moon. And you thought your father was hard to please!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread