HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Uber and Lyft drivers joi...

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 10:38 PM

Uber and Lyft drivers join day-long strike over working conditions

Workers for app companies call for better wages and protections for those seeking to unionize

Hundreds of Uber and Lyft drivers have joined other app-based workers across the US for a day-long strike to protest against poor working conditions and demand the right to organize.

The workers are calling for better wages and congressional support of the Pro Act, a bill that would provide protections for workers who attempt to unionize, including members of the gig economy. The bill has stalled indefinitely after passing in the US House in March.

“App-based workers are fed up with exploitation from big tech companies,” said Eve Aruguete a driver from Oakland and member of organizing group Rideshare Drivers United. “Misclassification is like concrete, keeping us underground. The Pro Act is the jackhammer that will break that concrete apart, allowing app-based workers to organize.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jul/21/uber-lyft-drivers-strike-app-based-work-gig-economy

1 replies, 266 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Uber and Lyft drivers join day-long strike over working conditions (Original post)
turbinetree Wednesday OP
UTUSN Wednesday #1

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 11:44 PM

1. Been riding Lyft 3 months since friend/designated died a year ago, and they have been smart/pros

Only one was a grouch. The rest a mix of full/part timers, students. Go-getters working extra jobs.

I don't know enough, so don't get the "working conditions" part - can work whatever/flexible hours they want. I don't know their wages. One told me a drunk barfed in the vehicle. Everybody sounded O.K. with it all.

For sure somebody will enlighten me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread