HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bipartisan bill aims to a...

Tue Jul 20, 2021, 08:13 AM

Bipartisan bill aims to assert Congress's power over arms sales, emergencies and military operations

[link:

The trio behind the measure, Sens. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), have been longtime proponents of giving Congress a more proactive role in such matters. In recent years, they joined forces to invoke Congress’s war powers and bring an end to U.S. participation in Yemen’s civil war — an effort that secured majority support, but not enough to overcome then-President Donald Trump’s veto.

The new legislation on offer, however, goes much further — and as such, is likely to inspire heated debate..

1 replies, 303 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bipartisan bill aims to assert Congress's power over arms sales, emergencies and military operations (Original post)
Nanjeanne Jul 20 OP
dsc Jul 20 #1

Response to Nanjeanne (Original post)

Tue Jul 20, 2021, 09:12 AM

1. We still have 4 of these AUMF's including one from 1957

The bill weighs in more specifically on existing war powers as well, by seeking to sunset four active AUMFs related to operations in the Middle East within 180 days of passage. While two of those AUMFs are noncontroversial — Democrats and most Republicans support repealing the 1991 authorization approving the deployment of troops to the Gulf War and the 1957 AUMF allowing presidents to use force to stop the spread of communism in the region — the others are not.

end of quote

That is wild. I had no idea we had an AUMF dating from Eisenhower still in effect.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread