HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I'm a Frito-Lay Factory W...

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:25 AM

I'm a Frito-Lay Factory Worker. I Work 12-Hour Days, 7 Days a Week

Hundreds of Frito-Lay workers are on day nine of a strike at a production plant in Topeka, Kansas that makes Fritos, Tostitos, Doritos, Cheetos, and Funyuns.

In recent days, the appalling working conditions at Frito-Lay have gone viral on Twitter—fueling a national conversation about the leverage low-wage workers have at this particular moment to demand more from large corporations after years of stagnant wages, few opportunities, and a deadly pandemic.

Many of the 850 workers at the facility say they work 84 hours a week with no days off. Workers are nominally supposed to work eight-hour shifts, but because of shortages, workers are often forced to add on an extra four hours before or after their shifts. Workers call these extended shifts "suicides," because they say the schedule kills you over time. Some workers haven't had a single day off in five months, including Saturdays and Sundays.

The grassy lawn outside the factory has transformed into a picket line, drawing crowds of hundreds of workers and union members from around Kansas. The struggle at Frito-Lay is a reminder that the eight hour workday–"eight hours for work, eight hours for rest and eight hours for what you will"—that workers won in bloody labor battles of the late 19th century can no longer be taken for granted.

In its latest contract offer, Frito-Lay has said it would raise wages by four percent over the next two years and put a cap at 60 hours a week. Frito-Lay workers who are unionized with Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Local 218 say that's not enough, and are demanding an end to forced overtime.

Motherboard spoke to Mark McCarter, a 59-year-old palletizer and union steward at Frito-Lay, who has worked at the Topeka facility for 37 years, about his job and why he's striking. - Lauren Kaori Gurley

I've worked at the Frito-Lay factory in Topeka, Kansas since I was 19, straight out of high school. I'm a palletizer. I run huge robots that are probably 15 or 20 feet tall and they transport product that comes from the production floor that's already been packaged—Fritos, Doritos, Tostitos, all the Cheetos.

After 37 years, I still get forced to work 12 hours a day, seven days a week. Seven years ago, my wife passed away and I spent a lot of time in grief counseling, and I told the company, I don't want to work 12 hours a day seven days a week. I ended up getting FMLA [Family Medical Leave Act unpaid leave], but they're still having me do it sometimes. You come in at 7 a.m. and not only do you work eight hours, but when you get off at 3 p.m., they suicide (force you to work a double shift) you and have you come back at 3am. There's 850 employees and it's true for half or three quarters of them.

This job wears you down, it tires you, and makes you mentally exhausted. It plays with your mind. Some of these guys who work 12 hours a day everyday are destroying their marriages. They're destroying their families. My wife passed away and I don't have a wife to go home to to say, 'Hey babe I'm only working eight hours tomorrow," but a lot of these guys come in with the understanding that they'll be here for eight hours but then they got to call their wives and kids and say, "Guess what? It's not eight hours. It's 12 hours and then I have to go back to work at 3am."

Frito-Lay has been told they need to fix this but unfortunately, when they bring in new people, they force the same schedule on them and they quit. Frito-Lay has waited so long to replace workers, and now Frito Lay has a horrible reputation in town so a lot of people won't work here.

This used to be a bomb place to work. We had picnics together. We'd go to Worlds of Fun [an amusement park] together. We had community, lunch served, Christmas ham, Thanksgiving turkey. We'd do all that. These days we do absolutely nothing for employees. We work them; we send them home. It's demoralizing and it's truly nuts how a Fortune 500 company can get away with this kind of foolishness.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbmwy/im-a-frito-lay-factory-worker-i-work-12-hour-days-7-days-a-week

86 replies, 9478 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 86 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm a Frito-Lay Factory Worker. I Work 12-Hour Days, 7 Days a Week (Original post)
demmiblue Jul 17 OP
Lemon Lyman Jul 17 #1
panader0 Jul 17 #12
jaxexpat Jul 17 #15
Boomerproud Jul 17 #38
SharonAnn Jul 17 #76
Hekate Jul 17 #61
NullTuples Jul 17 #65
Crowman2009 Jul 17 #19
Tiger8 Jul 18 #77
Klaralven Jul 17 #2
oldsoftie Jul 17 #8
Beatlelvr Jul 17 #36
tblue37 Jul 17 #43
Klaralven Jul 17 #55
oldsoftie Jul 17 #60
11 Bravo Jul 17 #66
Celerity Jul 17 #74
oldsoftie Jul 18 #83
Ferrets are Cool Jul 17 #32
Kingofalldems Jul 17 #45
Klaralven Jul 17 #56
Kingofalldems Jul 17 #57
Klaralven Jul 17 #58
Shrike47 Jul 17 #64
Sherman A1 Jul 17 #3
wnylib Jul 17 #20
KS Toronado Jul 17 #4
Locrian Jul 17 #21
KS Toronado Jul 17 #23
Locrian Jul 17 #24
leftieNanner Jul 17 #62
Locrian Jul 17 #63
malaise Jul 17 #27
samplegirl Jul 17 #5
Siwsan Jul 17 #6
oldsoftie Jul 17 #7
samplegirl Jul 17 #10
gab13by13 Jul 17 #9
Tree Lady Jul 17 #47
mac2766 Jul 17 #11
panader0 Jul 17 #13
twodogsbarking Jul 17 #35
WVreaper Jul 17 #14
MuseRider Jul 17 #16
superpatriotman Jul 17 #17
FakeNoose Jul 17 #18
Chin music Jul 17 #73
FakeNoose Jul 17 #75
DownriverDem Jul 17 #22
Roy Rolling Jul 17 #25
lapucelle Jul 17 #28
Roy Rolling Jul 17 #33
LiberalArkie Jul 17 #37
The Jungle 1 Jul 17 #26
stopdiggin Jul 17 #42
Norbert Jul 17 #29
PatrickforB Jul 17 #30
Ferrets are Cool Jul 17 #31
Bev54 Jul 17 #34
gab13by13 Jul 17 #39
Jon King Jul 17 #41
Bev54 Jul 17 #44
smirkymonkey Jul 18 #80
Bev54 Jul 19 #84
Bev54 Jul 19 #85
Jon King Jul 17 #40
ProfessorGAC Jul 17 #54
Sin Jul 18 #81
TigressDem Jul 17 #46
Aristus Jul 17 #48
Blue Owl Jul 17 #49
milestogo Jul 17 #50
lindysalsagal Jul 17 #51
BGBD Jul 17 #52
Chin music Jul 17 #53
FakeNoose Jul 17 #71
Chin music Jul 17 #72
Chin music Jul 17 #59
live love laugh Jul 17 #68
Chin music Jul 17 #69
Skittles Jul 17 #67
turbinetree Jul 17 #70
Aussie105 Jul 18 #78
moonscape Jul 18 #79
DemocraticPatriot Jul 18 #82
librechik Jul 19 #86

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:43 AM

1. UGH

These forking monopolies. Frito-Lay owns a majority of the chip market. Nestle owns chocolate & water. So on and so forth. There’s no competition so these forkers run over anybody in their path.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Lemon Lyman (Reply #1)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:16 AM

12. Fork the forkers!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:32 AM

15. I had some striking workers moonlighting on one of my construction sites 25 years ago.

I found them at lunch break discussing their next moves regarding their union's positioning. Some were ready to capitulate, One guy was sure the ownership would come around. I asked him why the owner would budge an inch? He and a couple others stuttered out some lame slogans they learned about worker's rights and how labor had the leverage. I asked them how that was true since the owner was hiring replacement workers while these guys were out on strike. He was delivering product right past the picket lines as if they didn't exist and was not missing his delivery commitments.
I offered this to them. You guys don't stand a prayer in hell of getting your grievances met so long as the owner is sleeping comfortably in his bed at home every night. Which of you will picket in front of his house 24 hours a day? his kid's houses? other company officer's houses? They told me that was illegal.
Not a single one of those guys ever went back to work at that aluminum mill. All their jobs were filled by temporaries and they, every union member, to a man, were black-listed by the remaining local manufactories. Because to win required risking more than they were willing to risk.

A sympathetic community is certainly helpful for union efforts but it MUST be solid. At the minimum, every shopkeeper, vendor, server, utility worker, clerk and pastor MUST be on board. Ownership MUST experience discomfort equivalent to that which knocks them off their position. These days it's difficult since so many companies are multinational and can simply move their facilities to another state or country to gain leverage. Worker victory is possible ONLY when ownership finds ALL avenues blocked. This requires international solidarity.

When examined from the point of view of ownership, ALL efforts to fracture and factionalize workers are well placed. It is the actual goal of current "emperors of industry" that this trend toward social radicalization and disintegration continues. It is short-sighted and ultimately self-destructive but, hey, consider the source. I'm afraid that, in the ruling classes, "the Donald" is more the rule than the exception.

Reply to this post

Response to jaxexpat (Reply #15)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:23 AM

38. Great post and so spot-on.

So many people are living the life you're writing about.

Reply to this post

Response to Boomerproud (Reply #38)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:21 PM

76. The owners are probably some conglomerate who live elsewhere. They just want $$$.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 04:19 PM

61. Excellent post

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:24 PM

65. When I was a kid, my grandpa

made a point of letting us know he always chose union companies over nonunion. He said it was an investment in the future.

All these years later our country is proving him right.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:49 AM

19. It use to be that every state or large city had their own food or beverage companies.

Not many lately.

Reply to this post

Response to Crowman2009 (Reply #19)

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 12:21 AM

77. Reagan cut the Red Tape to make it easier...

....to eliminate your competitors.

Wall St back firms spent trillions buying up local companies or maybe just open their own......then use billions more, to undercut that local market to run the remaining local companies out of business.

Not just food and beverage companies, but manufacturing too, and most grocery, retail and department stores. Go into any city, and get Starbucks, then shop for clothes at Target, for your work out at Planet Fitness - Wall Street will get a cut of everything you spent.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:50 AM

2. Nothing that Frito-Lay produces is actually good for you

Reply to this post

Response to Klaralven (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:11 AM

8. Corn isnt exactly BAD for you. Fritos is just corn.

Corn & salt.
Now those OTHERS; thats where you get the added shit for flavoring.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #8)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:16 AM

36. Don't forget

They're deep fried.

Reply to this post

Response to Beatlelvr (Reply #36)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 11:07 AM

43. And excess salt is terrible for you.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #8)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:29 PM

55. I Ounce Package of Fritos

Reply to this post

Response to Klaralven (Reply #55)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 04:08 PM

60. Those arent plain Fritos. BBQ flavored adds a lot of crap

And as in anything else, moderation is the key. Eat too many Avocados & you'll gain weight.
A "serving" of regular fritos is 36 chips; not a tiny amount. And about 140 calories. Its not going to harm you. Your genetics are more important if you dont overdue it. My long time vegan brother has almost the same LDL/HDL levels as I do. We both exercise; he eats GREAT. Me; just ok.
I'm not going to stress out over snack chips especially plain ol corn chips.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #60)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:32 PM

66. Yeah, BBQ flavoring definitely jacks up the sodium content.

And as you rightly point out, moderation is the actual key.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #60)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:52 PM

74. plain Fritos nutritional information

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #74)

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 12:56 PM

83. Low sat. fat, no suger, no cholesterol; not too bad.

Especially compared to other snacks!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:59 AM

32. This x 1000

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 11:46 AM

45. Really, what does that have to do with the OP?

Reply to this post

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #45)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:32 PM

56. If people stopped eating so much junk food, those workers wouldn't have to work 12-hour days.

They have probably had a surge in demand because of all the people at home during Covid snacking on junk food.

Reply to this post

Response to Klaralven (Reply #56)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:33 PM

57. Strange logic since the company can instantly handle that problem.

Hire.

Reply to this post

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #57)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:41 PM

58. They'd rather pay overtime than hire workers that they have to fire when demand goes back to normal

Reply to this post

Response to Kingofalldems (Reply #57)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:12 PM

64. In the article it is indicated that new hires quit when they discover the forced overtime.

Goodbye Fritos (WAY over salted), Lays, Doritos. I like Lays reduced salt potato chips but can’t buy from a company acting like this.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:52 AM

3. I loathe PepsiCo which owns Frito-Lay

In my years as a grocery store receiver I dealt with them each working day. It was common knowledge that if there was a problem in the back room for which I was responsible, the first place to look was Frito or Pepsi and you generally need look no farther.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #3)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:49 AM

20. My brother's FIL was a sales rep for

Frito Lay. He was not allowed to purchase any snacks that were not Frito Lay or any soda that was not a Pepsi product. If he did and was found out, he would lose his job.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:55 AM

4. Back in the late 80's, Boeing had everybody in tooling

working 12 hours 7 days a week for around 5 months. What the bean counters finally figured out was that
the reason for a typical 4 hour project now taking 8 hours was that employees were to tired to focus on
the chore at hand let alone the energy to do it. Cut us back to 40 hours and we got more accomplished.
Tired workers get less work done.

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #4)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:51 AM

21. indeed

Studies over and over again prove this. But their authoritarian business mind refused to believe it (science?!)

Set their hours to 40 and double their pay - I guarantee you'll have better productivity, happier workers, etc, than paying them the same (80hrs) and all the problems.

But they just cant do it....

* actually you would want something in between to make it long term sustainable but the general idea holds.

Reply to this post

Response to Locrian (Reply #21)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:58 AM

23. Probably on account of greed

Greedy people/corporations have a hard time giving. IMHO

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #23)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:02 AM

24. yes

and dogmatic belief that people are lazy They live a privileged life and think *they* are the hard workers.
There is no way they would think they cant just squeeze and squeeze people and get 'more'.

Whether it's hard or not - its a stupid business move, but they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I think we're going to see a big existential crises in business management - as their greed and general ignorance collide.
The power dynamic is changing - and they cannot just continue on the same path. But they oh so want to keep doing nothing except demanding from others - since they really have no leadership capability. Stupid business decisions have consequences.

Reply to this post

Response to Locrian (Reply #24)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 04:37 PM

62. Jeff Bezos

has said this part out loud. He DOES think his warehouse workers are lazy and not willing to work hard. He treats them like crap and then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Plus the Amazon warehouse workers are never promoted. He just burns through them and figures he can always hire more.

Reply to this post

Response to leftieNanner (Reply #62)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:11 PM

63. cancer

Bezos and his ilk are a cancer. Their infinite growth, disregard for anyone else, self importance are the same mentality as a tumor. And our system rewards and encourages it.

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #4)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:19 AM

27. but Freedom (for billionaires)

Madness!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:56 AM

5. Sadly your not alone

because the majority of companies are profit pigs!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:57 AM

6. My late sister's husband was a delivery driver for Frito-Lay.

He retired in March of 2015.

His territory was in the Flint, MI area. He'd go in VERY early to load his truck and then off to the stores to stock the shelves. It was a long day. That hard work that resulted in him getting knee replacement, just before he retired, and he still has a whonky shoulder. However, he had great medical coverage and always seemed really satisfied with the company.

I know he and my sister lived a frugal but comfortable life and raised 3 kids on his salary My sister was a stay at home mom until the kids were in school. From what I understand, he also received a good retirement package.

It's always sad to hear about a company turning on the health and welfare of their employees.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:07 AM

7. Thats odd. We have a frito plant here & no problems

As far as I know, its a desirable place to work here. Jobs rarely come open.
I wonder if plant management is to blame. I didnt think it was even LEGAL to make people work with no days off indefinitely, not to mention those other complaints

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #7)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:12 AM

10. Our Frito plant

didn’t stay open long here in Ohio.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:12 AM

9. The International Union needs to negotiate a better contract.

Sadly what I saw as a Local Union rep was that we local union people battled the International union Reps as much if not more as we battled the company Reps during contract negotiations. The International Union sadly, in my case, was more concerned about union dues than holding out for a better contract.

When I worked, our union negotiated overtime; 8-12 hour's work time and a half, 12-16 hour's work double time. Work on Sunday's was time and a half. Work over 40 hours/week is time and a half. We got paid for many holidays and if we worked them we got holiday pay plus double time. We didn't work Labor Day, the company had to get our approval to work that day. Overtime was voluntary and the company couldn't change your schedule for the week.

Get a better contact.

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #9)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 12:09 PM

47. Some unions are weak

My husband worked for a very strong union in San Francisco driving Bart so when we moved up to WA he got a bus license and thought he would enjoy being a city driver in a town of 80,000 people.

The union was weak, people were looked upon as sissies if they took a break. He would be given shifts of 4am 2 hrs come back in 3 hrs then 2 more 3 times a day or a shift of 8 hrs straight with no lunch break and no bathroom breaks, although he was late a few times from stopping bus to go.

After 9 months of crazy schedules, where he found out the good schedules take 10 yrs to work up to and he was only going to work that many he quit. He tried talking to union reps and they said all the employees went along with the contracts and rules just accepted less happy to have better job in a area where jobs are not that easy.

It was hard for him to go from best union to that so he just did small jobs like driving a taxi until he fully retired.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:13 AM

11. Company? How about saying executives instead of company?

The questions that should be asked by the employees and everyone else is this...

How much money are the executives sucking away from the company? How much overtime are the executives working?

You see, we're not directing our attention in the right direction.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:19 AM

13. I'm so old I can remember when Fritos were ten cents a bag.

Reply to this post

Response to panader0 (Reply #13)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:10 AM

35. They were greasier too. We called them dime bags.

Heh heh.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:21 AM

14. Somebody told me..........

Any work done after 10 hrs is basically worthless. Economics have shown that it is more is advantageous to hire another worker. But when you have shittty employee reations, who would want to work for you? Frito-Lays first step is to start treating their employees better. Then maybe someone else might want to work for them.

This metric was used years ago in the mining industry. When you start having lots and lots of overtime by multiple employees, your need more employees. It is the people and the economics.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:32 AM

16. In this "right to work" state

I have been surprised to see the strikers get so much support. It has been a few days since I was by there. They are out and proud and seem happy but after all the rain the temps are going to get pretty sweaty. We are going to go by with some coolers and shaved ice, that is one thing they ask for. You go by there and all the cars are honking and giving them a thumbs up, I cannot remember the last time I saw this here but it seems they have the support of the community anyway. There were a lot of negotiations but nothing was ever really given to the workers that would make working there tolerable.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:34 AM

17. The Wall Street casino beast wants you to get back to work

How else will we beat earnings estimates?

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:37 AM

18. I confess that I can't stop buying Fritos and Cheetos

There's nothing like them on the market, and they're my favorite munchies. I hate that it's a monopoly, or it might as well be. But I've tried the competitor brands and I don't like them as much.

I'm sorry that this Topeka Kansas plant is run by assholes who mistreat their employees. There are national labor laws in place to prevent this mistreatment, so why aren't the laws being enforced for this particular plant? It seems the strike is justified, at least for these Topeka, Kansas workers. Frito-Lay plants in other states haven't struck in solidarity, have they?

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #18)

Response to Chin music (Reply #73)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:02 PM

75. They're great with beer too

Funny story: When I first joined DU after the 2016 election, I was calling TFG "Cheeto" because ... well just because. Because of that I felt like I had to boycott the Frito-Lay product.

Then after a couple of years I decided that "Cheeto" sounds too friendly, like a nickname you'd tease your college roommate with. Or whatever. It wasn't insulting enough.

So in the beginning of 2020 I started calling him "Chump." Everyone knows who I mean, and I don't think anyone would take that as a friendly nickname. I've been using Chump for about a year and a half, and now I can indulge my love for eating Cheetos without guilt.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 08:55 AM

22. Instead

we here in Michigan love our Better Made chips and other products! BetterMade.com

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:10 AM

25. One Word

Union

They need a union of workers. Workers can’t trust managers who get paid more when workers suffer more.

It’s capitalism—the part Republicans conveniently ignore.

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #28)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:01 AM

33. My bad

But I am a long-time union member. We have strict rules on hours, because of members killed from falling asleep at the wheel after long shifts.

Something doesn’t add up. With a strong union, at least exploited workers should be getting rich from the overtime. Apparently, that ain’t happening. LOL

Reply to this post

Response to Roy Rolling (Reply #33)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:21 AM

37. Union president probably got a new jet

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:12 AM

26. Thanks Reagan!

Reagan illegally breaking the air traffic controllers union was was the beginning of the down fall of unions. We should have all walked off the job. Problem was the union middle class voted for that scum.

Also FU trickle down.

I bet management is not working 12 hours 7 days.
I bet the union workers worked labor day last year!

Reply to this post

Response to The Jungle 1 (Reply #26)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 11:02 AM

42. and LOTS of union people

voted for you know who.

I've worked with some union folks that really knew their stuff - and I've also seen some real knuckle draggers. The best you can say is that overall - union membership makes for a better workplace and economy. On a case by case basis .... Sometimes people are going to disappoint you.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:26 AM

29. Growing up Cincinnati had about 5 manufacturers of potato chips

We are down to one now. The largest one, Husman's, was bought by Utz in 2019. This past Winter Utz shut down the Husman plant and after 101 years no more Husman's Potato Chips are made. Only Grippo's remain.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:57 AM

30. Good strike! Let's hope they can force a resolution.

The primacy of shareholder doctrine US corporations run under puts profits above ALL else - the workers, the consumers, the community and the environment. It has to stop. And the only way to make it stop is to force change through strikes. I'm not buying Fritos, Cheetos, Doritos or Tostitos until this is fixed.

Higher wages.
No forced overtime.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 09:58 AM

31. Where is the god-damned Labor Board????

Is it non-existent anymore?

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:07 AM

34. Are there no labour laws to protect the workers?

I am Canadian and that would never be tolerated, seriously that is worse than those in so called 3rd world countries.

Reply to this post

Response to Bev54 (Reply #34)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:24 AM

39. We had strong labor laws at one time long ago.

The 1935 Wagner Act was extremely pro worker, then the National Labor Relations Act of 1947 watered down the Wagner Act, then in 1953 the Landrum Griffith Act watered down the 1947 Act, and since that time labor rights have been diminished. The NLRB even if it had good members has its hands tied. Half of the work force in America believes that shareholders should be taken care of before workers.

I worked in Canada a lot, my first stop at the border I was questioned why Canadians couldn't do the work I was doing? I had to explain that my work was specialized and getting machines up and running more quickly would benefit Canadians. I needed to have my work papers in order and if the time limit expired I had to drive to the border to get new papers. One time I worked 18 hours and I had to have my time split up because I believe in Canada you weren't allowed to work more than 16 hours straight. If I remember right.

Reply to this post

Response to Bev54 (Reply #34)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:33 AM

41. Seriously, its not worse than 3rd world countries....

Kids make sneakers in third world countries for a dollar an hour....these are adults making $100000/year with overtime, paid health insurance, 2 weeks vacation, 3 breaks per shift, an hour lunch per shift.

The 84 hour weeks must stop....but please, this ain't comparable to a third world country.

Reply to this post

Response to Jon King (Reply #41)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 11:26 AM

44. Well I lived in Thailand

where many US products were made, including Nike and they work only 6 days a week as in most businesses, 8-10 hours a day, so yes I would say this i worse. Who the hell said they were making $100,000 per year??? You mean by working themselves into a grave? What good is that money going to do for them? The guy made just over $20.00 after 37 years and said most are less at $15. They should be making a livable wage with time off to actually live. There needs to be proper labour laws to stop this nonsense. This is a disgrace for the US.

Reply to this post

Response to Jon King (Reply #41)

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 05:35 AM

80. Only 2 weeks vacation is bullshit too.

This country sucks. 3rd world countries suck even more, but we are far behind other western industrialized nations.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #80)

Mon Jul 19, 2021, 11:42 AM

84. I agree, in Germany they start out with 4 weeks vacation

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #80)

Mon Jul 19, 2021, 11:42 AM

85. I agree, in Germany they start out with 4 - 6 weeks vacation

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 10:31 AM

40. The average salary there is $22/hour, $80,000-$100000/year

The reason they keep getting applicants is because with overtime the employees can make over $100000/year, with paid health insurance, and 2 weeks paid vacation.

Of course the 84 hour weeks must stop....but this certainly is not a 'third world country' situation as some suggest.

Reply to this post

Response to Jon King (Reply #40)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:27 PM

54. $22/Hr Is $80k/Year?

Ignoring overtime for a second, 52 weeks * 40 hours = 2,080 hours. Multiply that by $22/hr. and it's around $46,000.
Add a thousand hours of overtime per year at time & a half, and we get toward the $80k.
But, a thousand hours a year OT is a LOT! More than 19 hours a week, but more assuming 3 weeks vacation, or around 20.5 hours a week.
Working 60.5 hours a week, 49 weeks a year for $79,000 is actually pretty crummy.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #54)

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 07:36 AM

81. Happens a lot of places.

Niagara did this when I worked there for two years and ran palletizers. You had 12 hour shifts that was it unless there was a meeting then it was a 13 hour shift. They worked 2-3-2 so 2 on 2 off 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off. If your counterpart was off and no one wanted to cover you or they just didn't have any one else to run your machine you were on some times 14 to 19 day stretches. You have to work it or they point you six points and you were fired.
Warehouse's Like Ace and a few others are work till completion So you have 100k orders or more they have to be done before they let you go home or they will point you. So if others got fed up at hour 14 of the day and left then you were there 15-16 hours. On top of mandatory overtime so 6 days a week every week 14+ hour days or they would point and fire you.
It's worse now with less people working because of conditions and pay the days are long and the mandatory never ends. This leads to more accidents injury and that will lead to more people getting fired.
Most of these places operate with 60%+ turnover rate mention a union and any old points or problems you had will crop up and they will start your march toward the door. Just so you can lose any vacation time because generally it takes a year to get it and then you have to start over in a place just as terrible or worse then the one you were just at.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 11:51 AM

46. Shut them down. World can live without Fritos.

They can reopen when they can come up with a way to run their business in line with standard 40 hour a week shifts and stick to it.

Give the workers 1 year severance while they figure it out.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 12:10 PM

48. Sounds like they used to be a good company to work for.

I'm guessing what happened to them is the same thing that happened to a lot of corporations in the 60's, 70's, and 80's: some dipshit, wet behind the ears junior executive with an MBA from some cow college told the board of directors, "Hey! I know how we can make a lot more money for ourselves! Let's get rid of everything that made us a good company to work for, good wages, generous sick leave, paid time off, a safe workplace, and good employee relations, and then pocket all the money we'll save!"

Corporate America has been a Dickensian nightmare ever since...

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 01:59 PM

49. Republican labor dream scenario right there

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:05 PM

50. Frito-Lay makes Americans obese and diabetic.

Fat, salt, and sugar. Its pretty much all crap food.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:06 PM

51. Unions. The GQP is killing Unions, so you can be used as forced labor.

We have to fortify and protect Unions!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 02:21 PM

52. Quit

Hiring is through the roof right now, find a different job and quit. Unless they are going to roll heads and replace the upper management of the plant I wouldn't expect it to get much better. Best to find a soft landing and bail.

Reply to this post

Response to Chin music (Reply #53)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:38 PM

71. It seems to be a problem only at the Topeka plant

The Frito-Lay plants haven't struck in other states in solidarity. Those employees are happy with their $22/hr jobs, so why should they? The problems are isolated at this one plant in Kansas.

The US Dept. of Labor needs to look into this. The asshole managers at this plant aren't playing by the rules. I buy F-L products in Pennsylvania but I doubt that they are coming from this plant.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #71)

Response to Chin music (Reply #59)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:37 PM

68. And they keep reducing pkg. sizes while raising prices. nt

Reply to this post

Response to live love laugh (Reply #68)

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 05:37 PM

67. disgraceful

I work 12 hour night shifts and have worked up to eighteen nights straight but not in a PHYSICALLY taxing job - I can't even imagine

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 17, 2021, 07:27 PM

70. This is what happens when you have right wing courts siding with a corporations

ever since that asshole Reagan came into power....and then to top it all off you have right to work for less states being backed the same fucking federalist courts....

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 02:12 AM

78. I have a natural aversion for processed foods.

Last edited Sun Jul 18, 2021, 02:54 AM - Edit history (1)

And this lot, really takes the gold medal for processed food!

Honestly? High meat diet, high processed food diet, high in fat, sugar? The American diet!
Really good way to destroy your health and die young.

I guess this company hates both the workers and the consumers.

The motivation for treating workers badly as far as pay and working conditions go, is the same as that for taking a poor nutritional value, cheap product and dressing it up to be something it is not - the profit line.

Folks, look in the mirror. The problem is YOU!

Ask yourself how you developed those unhealthy eating habits, and how you can steer away from them.

Reply to this post

Response to Aussie105 (Reply #78)

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 03:13 AM

79. My aversion to processed foods has been

deliberately cultivated but I’ve been here for quite a while.

Disagree with only one item on your diet ‘no’ list: fat. Americans stopped eating healthy fats in favor of unhealthy ones, and in the crazy low-fat/non-fat craze upped consumption of carbs. Nothing wrong with plenty of healthy fat.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 18, 2021, 08:49 AM

82. Those are just insane hours...

So I guess Frito-Lay won't pay enough to get enough workers ??

They should just slow down. If they can't meet demand with production, wouldn't that force up the price of their products ??

I will avoid buying their products for the time being, in support of the striking workers.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 19, 2021, 01:48 PM

86. My hubby is in the same union and on the same work schedule

in Denver at the Oroweat (now Bimbo) factory.

There are no days off. Complaints and pay issues disappear into red tape. No one is really in charge.

It used to be better. The money is nice when it's not being toyed with in payroll.

But WTF.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread