HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "You're Gonna Have a Fuck...

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 06:50 AM

"You're Gonna Have a Fucking War": Mark Milley's Fight to Stop Trump from Striking Iran

Inside the extraordinary final-days conflict between the former President and his chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

By Susan B. Glasser
July 15, 2021

The last time that General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, spoke with President Donald Trump was on January 3, 2021. The subject of the Sunday-afternoon meeting, at the White House, was Iran’s nuclear program. For the past several months, Milley had been engaged in an alarmed effort to insure that Trump did not embark on a military conflict with Iran as part of his quixotic campaign to overturn the results of the 2020 election and remain in power. The chairman secretly feared that Trump would insist on launching a strike on Iranian interests that could set off a full-blown war.

There were two “nightmare scenarios,” Milley told associates, for the period after the November 3rd election, which resulted in Trump’s defeat but not his concession: one was that Trump would try “to use the military on the streets of America to prevent the legitimate, peaceful transfer of power.” The other was an external crisis involving Iran. It was not public at the time, but Milley believed that the nation had come close—“very close”—to conflict with the Islamic Republic. This dangerous post-election period, Milley said, was all because of Trump’s “Hitler”-like embrace of the “Big Lie” that the election had been stolen from him; Milley feared it was Trump’s “Reichstag moment,” in which, like Adolf Hitler in 1933, he would manufacture a crisis in order to swoop in and rescue the nation from it.

Meadows, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in the hopes of getting the country safely through to Joe Biden’s Inauguration. The chairman, a burly four-star Army general who had been appointed to the post by Trump in 2019, referred to these meetings with his staff as the “land the plane” calls—as in, “both engines are out, the landing gear are stuck, we’re in an emergency situation. Our job is to land this plane safely and to do a peaceful transfer of power the 20th of January.”

This extraordinary confrontation between the nation’s top military official and the Commander-in-Chief had been building throughout 2020. Before the election, Milley had drafted a plan for how to handle the perilous period leading up to the Inauguration. He outlined four goals: first, to make sure that the U.S. didn’t unnecessarily go to war overseas; second, to make sure that U.S. troops were not used on the streets of America against the American people, for the purpose of keeping Trump in power; third, to maintain the military’s integrity; and, lastly, to maintain his own integrity. He referred back to them often in conversations with others.

snip

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-bidens-washington/youre-gonna-have-a-fucking-war-mark-milleys-fight-to-stop-trump-from-striking-iran

22 replies, 3348 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply "You're Gonna Have a Fucking War": Mark Milley's Fight to Stop Trump from Striking Iran (Original post)
catbyte Jul 2021 OP
yardwork Jul 2021 #1
Demsrule86 Jul 2021 #2
Thrill Jul 2021 #3
wnylib Jul 2021 #19
lagomorph777 Jul 2021 #22
Paladin Jul 2021 #4
jimfields33 Jul 2021 #6
Tarc Jul 2021 #7
colsohlibgal Jul 2021 #5
bullwinkle428 Jul 2021 #8
gab13by13 Jul 2021 #9
Pepsidog Jul 2021 #10
KS Toronado Jul 2021 #12
Saoirse9 Jul 2021 #11
lindysalsagal Jul 2021 #13
Wednesdays Jul 2021 #14
colorado_ufo Jul 2021 #16
ZenDem Jul 2021 #15
BobTheSubgenius Jul 2021 #17
SKKY Jul 2021 #18
Tree Lady Jul 2021 #20
lagomorph777 Jul 2021 #21

Response to catbyte (Original post)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 06:55 AM

1. We are very fortunate that this man was in charge of the military.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to yardwork (Reply #1)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 06:59 AM

2. Yes we are. He is our times General Butler who

Saved us from the businessman’s plot in the 1930,s

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:09 AM

3. Sounds like Miley saved the country from Trump

Destroying it Domestically and Abroad. Wow

Reply to this post

Response to Thrill (Reply #3)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 10:36 AM

19. Trump's mistake was in not setting up

the military in advance to be supportive of him. Maybe he assumed that his authority as commander-in-chief was enough.

He never intended to leave office once he got in. It offered him everything he wanted - money schemes, power, attention and adoration, international contacts and power. Michael Cohen said in his testimony before Congress that Trump never intended to leave. Too many people did not believe him.

He set up the stolen election scenario long before election day when polls showed him lagging.

He schemed with his inner circle to arrange the Jan 6 rally and attack on the Capitol.

But he failed to ensure that he had military backing to carry off the insurrection.

There are others who would like to do what Trump failed at. They will have learned from his mistake. I hope there are not any of them already in the military.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:15 AM

4. Biden ought to award Milley with a Medal Of Freedom.

Preferably this afternoon.

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #4)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:41 AM

6. Is he the general who walked with trump to the church?

I’m glad he stopped trump on this, but he’s hardly an innocent party.

Reply to this post

Response to jimfields33 (Reply #6)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:42 AM

7. I believe he addresses that in the book, and deeply regrets it

He's not perfect, I'm glad he was in the position that he was to thwart the orange fascist.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:35 AM

5. I'm Glad He's Who He Is

My guess is that Fat Orange Blob is intimidated big time by this guy, he’d mop the floor with that pathetic Hitler fan.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:43 AM

8. We need to encourage Mark Milley to get in front of the cameras as

much as possible, and give detailed accounts of all he went through.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:49 AM

9. I'm sure that General Mattis

had similar confrontations with MF45, although he couldn't stop MF45 from abandoning our ally the Kurds, something that caused Mattis to resign. Mattis needed to speak out more, needs to speak out now, about the mad man former president.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:53 AM

10. As remarkable as all this reporting is I fear that many Americans are numb and

disinterested. I fear outrage fatigue has set in long ago regarding Trump’s traitorous behavior that nothing shocks us anymore. Conversely, I hope that the Republican effort to suppress the votes in Republican state legislatures is fueling real outrage and motivates Democrats to go to extraordinary efforts to vote in both 2022 and 2024. I can trade lack of Trump outrage with outrage by Democrats and Independents at voter suppression efforts that motivates Republicans being voted out of existence.

Reply to this post

Response to Pepsidog (Reply #10)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 08:02 AM

12. I'm with you 100%

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 07:57 AM

11. We owe him so much

He saved the country. With lots of other people, but he recognized very clearly TFG's evil and the threat it posed.

We should thank him again and again.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 08:11 AM

13. I kept telling myself that he couldn't corrupt everyone. Now, we know who the hero was.

And the GQP will start undermining him in 3...2...1...There goes GQP military bias.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 09:17 AM

14. Just imagine if Lord Globula won a second term

He would have sent people like Milley packing, and replaced them with sycophants.

Reply to this post

Response to Wednesdays (Reply #14)

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 09:31 AM

16. Exactly, like he was doing in the Pentagon.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 09:29 AM

15. This is chilling...

I keep thinking that I could hear nothing else that could convince me more that Cpt Shitstain tried, and came terrifyingly close, to destroying this country.

And then...I hear something else.

What this does, besides giving me chills, is confirm my suspicion...there are good, strong people in all walks of life. Some of them might not be 100% good, but good enough to know what's right.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 09:34 AM

17. You can thank whoever or whatever you thank that, through some wretched turn of fate,

William Boykin wasn't in Milley's position at the time.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 09:36 AM

18. There needs to be a hearing on this. And he needs to be compelled to testify...

...in an open forum and with all 3 of C-SPAN's cameras focused on his every word.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 11:05 AM

20. The thing that chills me is if we don't find a way

To stop the voter bills and suppression he could win again. If people like my neighbor a retired engineer from San Francisco think that Biden is undoing all the "good" huh? That Trump did, they are going to vote for him again.

Too many lies and misinformation out there that many people firmly believe.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 16, 2021, 11:11 AM

21. Better than a shooting war.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread