HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How Tucker Carlson became...

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:13 AM

How Tucker Carlson became the voice of White grievance

Tucker Carlson huddled in a low-ceilinged dungeon that had served as a holding pen for Africans bound for enslavement in the United States. It was a July day in 2003 in Ghana, and Carlson stood alongside some of America’s most prominent civil rights leaders.

The conservative commentator, who at the time co-hosted the CNN show “Crossfire,” walked through the memorial, where a guide told how the shackled Africans who did not perish during the voyage were sold as human chattel in America.

The civil rights leaders prayed, cried and sang “We Shall Overcome.” They peered toward the sea from the Door of No Return. But Carlson seemed strangely detached, according to two of the civil rights leaders who were present.

“When we got to the castle and the dungeon, it had an emotional impact on all of us, as Africans in America,” said the Rev. Albert Sampson, a former associate of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Then there was what he called “the tragedy of Carlson.”

“He did not cry,” Sampson told The Washington Post in his first interview about the encounter. “He did not have any intellectual response. He didn’t give any verbal response. It was a total detachment from the reality of the event.”

When Carlson wrote an account of the trip several months later, he sounded derisive, describing how he thought a teary-eyed Sampson “was going to bite me” but instead put his arms on Carlson and said with a smile, “I love you, man.”

“Sampson was trying to make me feel guilty,” Carlson wrote in an account for Esquire. “It wasn’t obvious to me at the time. The idea that I’d be responsible for the sins (or, for that matter, share in the glory of the accomplishments) of dead people who happened to share my skin tone has always confused me. Racial solidarity wasn’t a working concept in my southern-California hometown.”

The part where he lies about his first grade teacher:

He attended the elite La Jolla Country Day School, where a woman entered his life whom he grew to detest. It was his first-grade teacher, whom he referred to in his book as Mrs. Raymond. He caricatured her as “a parody of earth-mother liberalism” who “wore long Indian-print skirts. . . . She had little interest in conventional academic topics, like reading and penmanship.” He recalled her sobbing theatrically at her desk, saying, “The world is so unfair! You don’t know that yet. But you’ll find out!”

Carlson said he just wanted liberals to “stop blubbering and teach us to read. . . . Mrs. Raymond never did teach us; my father had to hire a tutor to get me through phonics.” Thus, Carlson says, he began his sojourn as a conservative thinker, questioning the liberals who he said were all around him, exemplified by his first-grade teacher.

Which is all rather shocking to Marianna Raymond, 77, who remembers Carlson as “very precious and very, very polite and sweet,” and said she had no idea, until contacted recently by a Washington Post reporter, that her former student had ridiculed her as a key to understanding him.

Raymond said in an interview that she never sobbed at her desk, didn’t wear an Indian skirt and didn’t advocate her political views. She said that not only did she teach Carlson reading at La Jolla Country Day School — with a student body that was “very affluent and White” — but that she also was then hired to tutor him at his home.

“Oh my God,” she said, when informed of Carlson’s attack against her. “That is the most embellished, crazy thing I ever heard.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/tucker-carlson/2021/07/13/398fa720-dd9f-11eb-a501-0e69b5d012e5_story.html

7 replies, 564 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Tucker Carlson became the voice of White grievance (Original post)
demmiblue Jul 14 OP
Walleye Jul 14 #1
Omnipresent Jul 14 #2
UpInArms Jul 14 #3
Thomas Hurt Jul 14 #4
spanone Jul 14 #5
LetMyPeopleVote Jul 14 #6
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jul 14 #7

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:22 AM

1. He needed a tutor in elementary school? I wonder what his IQ actually is

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:28 AM

2. Poor Tucker...

He takes a swipe at Mrs Raymond.
What did she really do to hurt his feelings, so bad?

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:29 AM

3. I guess fucker Carlson has been an awful liar

his entire life

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:34 AM

4. "That is the most embellished, crazy thing I ever heard."

She was being nice, Fucker lied about this woman to spread political bigotry and make a buck.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:35 AM

5. How Tucker Carlson became the voice of White Racists....

fixed

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 10:54 AM

6. tucker is a sick puppy

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 14, 2021, 09:28 PM

7. Carlson suffers from massive butt hurt.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread