HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Texas power companies aut...

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 08:10 PM

Texas power companies automatically raised the temperature of customers' smart thermostats

in the middle of a heatwave

Texas power companies heated up some customers' homes last week by remotely controlling their smart thermostats, KHOU 11 reported on Thursday.

Some residents in the state, which is facing a heat wave that's straining its power grid, told KHOU 11 that they had awoken sweating and shocked that their homes had gotten as hot as 78 degrees without them changing the temperature.

It turns out that they had unknowingly enrolled their thermostats in an energy conservation promotion called "Smart Savers Texas," run by a company called EnergyHub, in partnership with power companies. The program gives EnergyHub permission to adjust participants' smart thermostats remotely during times of peak energy demand, in exchange for entry into a sweepstakes.

"During a demand response event, Smart Savers Texas increases the temperature on participating thermostats by up to four degrees to reduce energy consumption and relieve stress on the grid," Erika Diamond, EnergyHub's vice president of customer solutions, told Insider, adding that "the ability to reduce energy consumption is critical to managing the grid, in Texas and nationwide."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-power-companies-automatically-raised-192827153.html

4 replies, 923 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas power companies automatically raised the temperature of customers' smart thermostats (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 20 OP
Salviati Jun 20 #1
Earth-shine Jun 20 #2
MagickMuffin Jun 20 #3
PortTack Jun 20 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Response to Salviati (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 08:45 PM

2. It might say 78 on the thermostat, but other parts of their living quarters could be much higher.

The settings and temp display on my thermostat reflect only the immediate area of the house where it is installed. Other parts of the house can be significantly hot or colder.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Salviati (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 08:56 PM

3. "looks to me like an instance of whiny,

entitled idiots meeting lazy journalists."

WOW, that's some kind of hatred brewing in that statement.

I am neither one, but a Texan just trying to survive. But hey, you be you. Glad to know how to feel about others.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 10:02 PM

4. Work around..Set a table below the thermostat place a lamp on table with 100 watt incandescent

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread