HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » From The Good News Networ...

Sat Jun 19, 2021, 10:11 AM

From The Good News Network: Happy Juneteenth day... June 19

...Happy Juneteenth day, historically known as Emancipation Day, commemorating the day African Americans first heard about the end of slavery 155 years ago today—after it was announced by Union Army general Gordon Granger, proclaiming freedom for slaves in Texas.

Originating in Galveston, Juneteenth is celebrated annually on June 19 across the South and other parts of the U.S since 1866.

President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation declared an end to slavery in the Confederate States four years earlier, but was still legal and practiced in two Union border states – until 1865, when ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution abolished chattel slavery nationwide. Interestingly, Indian Territories that had sided with the South, especially the Choctaw, were the last to release those enslaved. (1866)

Photos but no more text at link https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/events060619/

1 replies, 231 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply From The Good News Network: Happy Juneteenth day... June 19 (Original post)
abqtommy Jun 19 OP
Dream Girl Jun 19 #1

Response to abqtommy (Original post)

Sat Jun 19, 2021, 12:25 PM

1. I first read this are "food network " and was shocked cause I don't consider those folks as particul

Woke.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread