HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Opinion: Val Demings: 'Ma...

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 12:57 PM

Opinion: Val Demings: 'Marco Rubio is afraid of a tough fight. I am not.'

Opinion: Val Demings: ‘Marco Rubio is afraid of a tough fight. I am not.’
Opinion by
Jonathan Capehart
Columnist

Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), one of the House managers during the first impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, made it official on Wednesday. She’s going after the Senate seat now held by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). Her slick announcement video declares that she’ll “Never tire.” Demings, who for a time was under consideration to be Joe Biden’s running mate during the presidential campaign, slammed Rubio as someone who “prefers the same old tired ways of doing business.” And she didn’t let up when I talked to her Wednesday morning.

“We’re living in some very tough times. There are a lot of critical issues and I just believe we need bold, courageous leaders to deal with those issues,” Demings told me during a phone interview a few hours after launching her Senate bid. “Too many times, Marco Rubio did not show up. But when he did show up, he did not have enough courage to fight for Florida.”

Case in point: Rubio’s vote against the American Rescue Plan. Demings said, “When he had an opportunity to help Floridians during one of the toughest times in their lives, he chose to vote against stimulus checks. He chose to vote against covid relief for our schools and our small businesses.” She also expressed concern about Florida’s recently enacted law that increases voter suppression, its ban on transgender girls and women from competing in school sports, and a new “anti-rioting” law. “We can do better. That is not who we are as Floridians. It is not who we are as Americans.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/10/val-demings-marco-rubio-is-afraid-tough-fight-i-am-not/

3 replies, 281 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Opinion: Val Demings: 'Marco Rubio is afraid of a tough fight. I am not.' (Original post)
mcar Jun 10 OP
bahboo Jun 10 #1
mcar Jun 10 #2
BeyondGeography Jun 10 #3

Response to mcar (Original post)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 01:12 PM

1. I hope she makes him cry....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bahboo (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 01:24 PM

2. Me too