HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Two passengers on a cruis...

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:50 PM

Two passengers on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean have tested positive for Covid-19.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/italy-cruise-covid-test-scli-intl/index.html

(CNN) ó Two passengers on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean have tested positive for Covid-19.

The pair were traveling on the MSC Seaside cruise ship and disembarked with their families in Syracuse, Sicily, on Tuesday, MSC told CNN on Wednesday. The two passengers were asymptomatic.

The cruise had previously docked in Malta but the passengers were forbidden to disembark as the ship only made a "technical" call, according to the cruise operator, which would not disclose the nationality nor the total number of passengers on board.

All passengers traveling with MSC must have a Covid-19 test 96 hours before departure, another when they embark, and a third during the cruise. MSC does not require passengers to be vaccinated, but the rules apply to those who have been.

*snip*

27 replies, 1428 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Two passengers on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean have tested positive for Covid-19. (Original post)
Nevilledog Jun 9 OP
msongs Jun 9 #1
Nevilledog Jun 9 #2
Liberal In Texas Jun 10 #23
Raftergirl Jun 10 #25
Liberal In Texas Jun 10 #27
Deuxcents Jun 9 #3
brewens Jun 9 #4
Ms. Toad Jun 9 #10
brewens Jun 9 #12
Ms. Toad Jun 9 #14
Meowmee Jun 10 #16
WarGamer Jun 9 #5
SoCalDavidS Jun 10 #17
Crunchy Frog Jun 10 #20
sanatanadharma Jun 10 #24
JCMach1 Jun 10 #26
sheshe2 Jun 9 #6
bottomofthehill Jun 9 #7
sheshe2 Jun 9 #9
Hekate Jun 9 #8
Meowmee Jun 9 #11
BigmanPigman Jun 9 #13
BGBD Jun 9 #15
SoCalDavidS Jun 10 #18
BGBD Jun 10 #19
dawg day Jun 10 #21
malaise Jun 10 #22

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:57 PM

1. wouldnt get on that thing in a million years. looks like a floating mega mall...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:58 PM

2. Or the biggest petri dish

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 08:26 AM

23. Yes, unlike how crusing used to be with more elegant ships...like

the SS Norway formerly the ocean liner SS France and renamed Blue Lady before it was scrapped.
I sailed on her in the '80s and it was probably the closest I could get (aside from the QE2) to the glory days of trans-Atlantic travel.

[/img][/url]

These new ships look like Las Vegas hotel copies with a hull. I have no desire to every set foot on one of them.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal In Texas (Reply #23)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 11:38 AM

25. We sailed on the Norway in '89

on our honeymoon.

Reply to this post

Response to Raftergirl (Reply #25)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 02:33 PM

27. Nice.

I remember a few things clearly...

Wandering into a large room off the promenade where an honest-to-goodnes big band was belting out swing music. I had no idea they were a scheduled part of the entertainment....
Freddy Fender was one of the featured entertainers. He was put off the ship at the first port of call by the captain after getting drunk and harassing some of the female passengers...
He was replaced by Jim Stafford who I remember sitting next to and chatting with at one of the small cocktail lounges...
I got to see the ship's hospital after scraping open my forehead on a coral reef. I was amazed at how large the hospital was...
Back in the small bar on another evening I was chatting with a diver who was along on the trip to inspect parts of the ship underwater when the ship was stopped at one of the ports for visits by the passengers. He was absolutely livid because he had been down that day in a bow thruster when someone started it up. And none of the crew admitted doing it....
Good times.

Hope you have good memories of your honeymoon cruise.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:03 PM

3. I'm not the brightest light on the porch

But Iím not that dim.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:03 PM

4. Well, no one saw that coming! Unbelievable. I was pissed at those people on that first ship we

had in CA. The one the former guy didn't "want the numbers". As early on as it was, those people got on that ship after they should have known better.

The only thing I ever agreed with DeSantis on was the two ship they had and didn't let in at first. I knew they would let them in, but if the whole ship had been quarantined until they had no more cases, I would have had to have gone along with that. I don't care what the former guy and the RW media were saying about COVID, the correct (most times) information was out there. Their willful ignorance is no excuse.

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:34 PM

10. A friend of mine was on that ship.

Once they were allowed to dock, the passengers were sent home on multiple commercial flights - including my friend who was then sick with COVID 19 (or incubating it). Likely sick, based on how long they were held before docking.

They were growing casesa the time they were finally allowed to dock, not getting rid of them.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #10)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:45 PM

12. Didn't HHS people show up and deal with them with no PPE as well?

When that happened, I looked at that cruise line schedule to see when they departed. It was after there had been COVID on a couple other ships already. I don't know how they thought they could avoid it.

It was unfair to be giving those people bad information, but still no excuse. If you're someone that put money out to go on one of those, you will want to believe it's safe and go. They should have been giving full refunds at least by then.

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #12)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:56 PM

14. I don't remember.

I was just shocked that after there were clearly COVID cases on board and, after an initial group charter, they were permitted to just board commercial flights home.

I only confirmed later that my friend got COVID from the cruise. (She was attributing symptoms to allergies at the time- later acknowledged she had had COVID, and I asked because I'm snoopy.)

She was partway through a trip (perhaps a different cruise - or perhaps different travel, planning to take a cruise home). At anyway, she boarded the cruise somewhere in South America to return home (I just checked her FB page, and her entire cruise adventure has been deleted - so going by memory here.) So her circumsances were a bit different than most.

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #12)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 12:10 AM

16. Yes they did do that with one ship at least, I have forgotten which one now.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:05 PM

5. I know it's controversial...

But we ALL need a digital C19 vaccine passport.

Make it an app with a QR-code scannable by the cruise lines, the airlines, the movie theater, etc...

Or a plastic card with a QR-code for the luddites.

Reply to this post

Response to WarGamer (Reply #5)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 12:13 AM

17. ZERO Chance That Will Happen

You are right. It is needed. So is a ban on assault weapons.

NEITHER will happen though. We really don't care about life here in America.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 01:04 AM

20. We have that in NYS. I've got mine.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 10:46 AM

24. Indeed, I have my QR code documentation from Uruguay

The Ministerio de Salud Publica 'Plan Nacional Coronavirus.uy' app on my phone documents my two Pfizer shots, with dates and a QR code.

The virus is ravaging Uruguay and many here are as are dense as those there, however the vaccinations have been well managed.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 12:38 PM

26. African Union already has that system... No QR, no entry

Upload testing (or presumably vaccination eventually) to system, print QR and present at border along with passport.

I exaggerated no entry. You can still enter, but you go into a self pay 14 day quarantine hotel.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:12 PM

6. Surprise Surprise Surprise.

Not.

Reply to this post

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:16 PM

7. Really, who among us is shocked?

Reply to this post

Response to bottomofthehill (Reply #7)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:29 PM

9. No one.

We should be seeing a surge any day now from the Memorial day festivities as well.

Party!

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:16 PM

8. I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:37 PM

11. Here we go again

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:52 PM

13. I just heard there is a new strain too..."Delta" strain.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:57 PM

15. Vaccine requirements are

Going to be mandatory for cruiseliner companies to survive.

Too much bad press if there is an outbreak on a ship now. With complete vaccination among guests and staff even a positive test wouldn't be an issue.

States like Florida and Texas who are prohibiting them are going to lose this industry to places like Virginia who aren't.

Reply to this post

Response to BGBD (Reply #15)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 12:15 AM

18. Except The Cruise Companies Are Bending Over Backwards To Satisfy DeSatan & Abbott

Royal Caribbean already gave in and said they'll forego any vaccination requirement.

Only a matter of time before the others do as well.

They're desperate, and they'll sacrifice a life or two, in order to be able to set sail.

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalDavidS (Reply #18)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 12:56 AM

19. They'll try

But the people buying the tickets will be the ones who make that decision.

They want to keep those ports be ause they have geographic advantages. But, if non vaccine cruises keep having to get scrapped because of outbreaks then it's not going to be sustainable.

Reply to this post

Response to BGBD (Reply #19)

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 07:14 AM

21. I'm vaxxed, but still wouldn't take a cruise like that.

Even if I didn't get sick, who wants to risk getting stuck in quarantine because some unvaxxed passenger got it?

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 07:17 AM

22. You can't pay me to go on a cruise in normal times

Darwin will sort this out

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread