HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Illinois Republicans Sue ...

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 07:05 PM

Illinois Republicans Sue over Redistricting Maps

Tweet text:
Democracy Docket
@DemocracyDocket
🚨ALERT: Illinois GOP sue Democrats over redistricting maps. Republicans claim it was unconstitutional for Democrats to use census population estimates to meet the deadline for drawing new maps after Trump’s sabotage of the census delayed official data.

Illinois Republicans Sue over Redistricting Maps
Read more here.
democracydocket.com
4:00 PM · Jun 9, 2021

https://www.democracydocket.com/2021/06/illinois-republicans-sue-over-redistricting-maps/

WASHINGTON, D.C.—On Wednesday, Republican leadership in the Illinois state legislature filed a lawsuit challenging the 2021 redistricting maps signed into law by Gov. J. B. Pritzker (D) a few days before. The suit alleges that the maps, which were drawn using preliminary population estimates after the Trump administration’s sabotage of the 2020 Census delayed the release of its data, are unconstitutional. The Democratic-controlled state legislature had until June 30, 2021 to pass new maps, otherwise the process would be handed off to a bipartisan committee which would select its last member in a random draw, giving Republicans a 50-50 chance of controlling the redistricting process despite only winning the minority in the state house.

In a statement, Democratic leaders in the legislature condemned the Republican effort. “Throughout this process, (Republicans) have done nothing but delay and obstruct efforts to ensure our communities are fairly represented, as seen by their refusal to even draft their own proposals. We stand by our work to ensure everyone has a voice in state government,” said Sens. Omar Aquino (D) and Elgie Sims (D).

4 replies, 586 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Illinois Republicans Sue over Redistricting Maps (Original post)
Nevilledog Jun 9 OP
mucifer Jun 9 #1
murielm99 Jun 9 #2
TheBlackAdder Jun 9 #4
global1 Jun 9 #3

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 07:51 PM

1. Parts of Chicago are very Gerrymandered and it pisses me off This is a map of my ward:

So Democrats do it to get what they want, too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mucifer (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 07:59 PM

2. LOL!

Reply to this post

Response to mucifer (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 08:11 PM

4. What's wrong with that? If I was drawing districts, that's the first image that pops in my head too.

Reply to this post

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 08:01 PM

3. So We Give The Repugs A Taste Of Their Own Medicine And What Do They Do?....

They sue the Dems - claiming the Dems are doing something unfair.

Have Dems sued Repugs for the gerrymandering that they do?

So the Repugs can gerrymander and get away with it - and if they've been gerrymandered on - they sue.

Seems like they always have it both ways.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread