HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Arizona ballot audit back...

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:27 AM

Arizona ballot audit backed by secretive donors linked to Trump's inner circle

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/09/arizona-election-audit-trump-2020-review

Dark money groups pushing baseless election claims appear to be playing key role in unprecedented review of 2.1m ballots

This story was reported in collaboration with OpenSecrets
Sam Levine and Anna Massoglia
Wed 9 Jun 2021 06.00 EDT

Dark money groups tied to Donald Trump’s inner circle and backed by people who have spread baseless claims about the 2020 presidential election appear to be playing a key role in funding an unprecedented review of 2.1m ballots in Arizona.

. . .

Karen Fann, the president of the Arizona state senate, said last year she received a phone call from Trump thanking her for “pushing to prove any fraud,” according to emails obtained by American Oversight, a left-leaning watchdog group. Fann, a Republican, also said she had spoken with Rudy Giuliani, a Trump ally, multiple times last year.

At least $150,000 of the inquiry’s funding has purportedly come from Voices and Votes, a 501(c)(4) run by Christina Bobb, an anchor for the One America News Network (OANN), a rightwing media network that has given air to election conspiracy theories. The group is also run with White House correspondent Chanel Rion and Courtland Sykes, Rion’s fiancé. Bobb spoke with Trump about the review, according to the Washington Post, and emailed Fann affidavits on behalf of Giuliani last year, emails show.

Bobb frequently plugs the effort during shows, where she covers the Arizona review, and on social media, but told BuzzFeed that OANN is not “in any way” affiliated with her fundraising despite the dark money group being run by multiple OANN employees and being promoted on the network. Voices and Votes was incorporated in Wyoming in March, shortly before the inquiry was announced, by attorney Greg Roeberg, an Arizona attorney. A press release from the Trump campaign last year listed a Greg Roeberg as a “key member” of Jewish Voices for Trump. Roeberg said in an email he was not involved with the charity beyond helping it with the initial legal papers. The group declined an interview request.

L Lin Wood, the pro-Trump attorney behind a slew of lawsuits seeking to overturn election results last year, told Talking Points Memo that his non-profit, Fight Back, donated $50,000 to Voices and Votes for the review. But it is not clear what the money is actually going to since the groups are subject to few financial disclosure rules.

10 replies, 713 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Arizona ballot audit backed by secretive donors linked to Trump's inner circle (Original post)
CousinIT Jun 9 OP
spanone Jun 9 #1
NoMoreRepugs Jun 9 #2
AZSkiffyGeek Jun 9 #4
abqtommy Jun 9 #6
AZSkiffyGeek Jun 9 #7
abqtommy Jun 9 #10
Bettie Jun 9 #3
TheRealNorth Jun 9 #5
Bettie Jun 9 #9
UCmeNdc Jun 9 #8

Response to CousinIT (Original post)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:32 AM

1. K&R

Where's America's media? Why do we have to learn this from The Guardian?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to spanone (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:55 AM

2. THIS.

C'mon boys and girls in the US Media - let's get those bigboy and biggirl pants on and do your FU%^ing JOB.

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 11:26 AM

4. I've known about this for months

Because I read the American media sources that the Guardian quoted in the story.

Reply to this post

Response to AZSkiffyGeek (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 12:29 PM

6. I read The Guardian and other international outlets every day. I don't bother wasting my time

with any U.S. media.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #6)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 12:30 PM

7. You weren't complaining that it wasn't being reported by US Media

Reply to this post

Response to AZSkiffyGeek (Reply #7)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 02:27 PM

10. I don't consider all the U.S. media to be worthless, but finding articles of interest to me on

Al Jazeera, The BBC, The Guardian and Reuters that are reported from the U.S. media saves me
a lot of time and keeps me informed.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 10:57 AM

3. The worst part of it

is the fact that it is a preview of every election that the MAGATs (Republicans) don't win going forward.

We'll be mired in these months-long ordeals everywhere they lose.

Reply to this post

Response to Bettie (Reply #3)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 12:15 PM

5. No

The Republicans will use this so that the Republican-controlled state legislatures can overturn elections without any proof.

Reply to this post

Response to TheRealNorth (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 01:09 PM

9. Yes, they will

but a few states have not allowed that explicitly, so they'll use these "audits" to overturn elections.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 12:47 PM

8. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread