HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Iditarod's 1st transgende...

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:06 PM

Iditarod's 1st transgender dog-musher races to beat anti-trans sports bills

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/iditarod-s-1st-transgender-dog-musher-races-beat-anti-trans-n1269149

Quince Mountain, the Iditarod's first openly transgender dog musher, is using his popularity on social media to combat anti-trans sports bills in his home state, Wisconsin, as well as a slew of similar bills introduced in dozens of states. The two Republican-backed measures being debated in the Wisconsin Legislature seek to ban trans students from participating on sports teams that match their gender identities.

"I don't think I've been angrier about an issue than I am about this sports thing," said Mountain, 41.

Mountain became the first out transgender musher to compete in the 1,000-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race through Alaska in March 2020 (he was forced to stop about 250 miles shy of the finish line because of the Covid-19 pandemic). Now, Mountain, who has garnered a sizable following on social media, is racing to educate the public and state lawmakers about the potential dangers of anti-trans sports bills.

"It sends a message to trans kids that they're a problem to be dealt with, and that message, I think, is lethal," he said. "This is so punitive. It's using kids as a political cudgel."

3 replies, 361 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Iditarod's 1st transgender dog-musher races to beat anti-trans sports bills (Original post)
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 8 OP
NoRethugFriends Jun 8 #1
Ron Obvious Jun 8 #2
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 8 #3

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:50 PM

1. Rather have my messages sent by people who don't participate in dog abuse.(nt)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 07:47 PM

2. I wondered if it was the dog who was transgender from the headline

I don't see a need to segregate dog or horse racing by sex in the first place and transgender is completely irrelevant.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 08:25 PM

3. Added a hyphen for grammar cops.

Neither horse racing nor dog racing is separated by gender, which makes the sports good ones for participants to be spokespeople.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread