HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » " ....COVID cases have fa...

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 04:26 PM

" ....COVID cases have fallen by 90% since January."

Team Biden

Biden Harris email this AM

Last week, President Biden announced a National Month of Action to make sure we can administer at least one COVID-19 vaccine to 70% of U.S. adults by July 4.

Already, over 63% of U.S. adults have received at least one vaccine dose, and thatís had a huge impact on beating back this virus -- COVID cases have fallen by 90% since January.

But itís going to take all of us organizing in our communities, having conversations with our friends and loved ones, and spreading the word on social media to hit President Bidenís vaccination goal by July 4.

Getting as many people vaccinated as possible is key to building back better, Botany. Weíve already seen what this grassroots team can accomplish together, and getting folks vaccinated is the next step.

26 replies, 1877 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply " ....COVID cases have fallen by 90% since January." (Original post)
Botany Jun 8 OP
Buckeye_Democrat Jun 8 #1
Botany Jun 8 #2
Buckeye_Democrat Jun 8 #3
Botany Jun 8 #5
Buckeye_Democrat Jun 8 #9
Ms. Toad Jun 8 #4
Buckeye_Democrat Jun 8 #6
Ms. Toad Jun 8 #7
pnwmom Jun 8 #16
JohnnyRingo Jun 8 #8
Botany Jun 8 #11
ShazzieB Jun 8 #18
Leith Jun 8 #10
Buckeye_Democrat Jun 8 #12
Leith Jun 8 #13
DallasNE Jun 8 #14
SergeStorms Jun 8 #15
DallasNE Jun 8 #22
AZLD4Candidate Jun 8 #17
tavernier Jun 8 #19
Pinback Jun 8 #20
mchill Jun 8 #21
BobTheSubgenius Jun 8 #23
SWBTATTReg Jun 12 #24
Botany Jun 12 #25
SWBTATTReg Jun 13 #26

Response to Botany (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 04:51 PM

1. Keep it up, USA!

The RNA vaccines available in the USA work extremely well, so get vaccinated!

Side note:

I noticed that Ohio was recently surpassed by Illinois in vaccinations, per NPR, finally relegating Ohio to the bottom half dominated by other red states.

The only "blue" states in the bottom half are Georgia, Arizona and Nevada.

The only red states in the top half, but dropping fast, are Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. (SD was near the top many weeks ago, buoyed up by Native Americans eager to get vaccinated. They'll soon get surpassed by Illinois too.)

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 04:56 PM

2. I hope OSU Football has a no vaccine means no going inside the football stadium game policy

As per the other red states I think they (GOP leadership) want the pandemic to continue.
They know the vaccine works.

Reply to this post

Response to Botany (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:00 PM

3. I agree!

The OSU crowd isn't quite packed as closely together like at Michigan, from what I've been told, but it's still an incredibly congested situation.

Reply to this post

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:19 PM

5. Ohio State Univeristy is based on science, knowledge, research, and statewide community outreach

It should not give in to the dumb fuck anti vaccine idiots.

Reply to this post

Response to Botany (Reply #5)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:28 PM

9. Agree!

All of the Big Ten conference schools are among the leaders in scientific research and members of the AAU, except for Nebraska which lost their membership shortly after they'd accepted the invitation to join the conference years ago.

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities
The Association of American Universities (AAU) is an organization of American research universities devoted to maintaining a strong system of academic research and education. Founded in 1900, it consists of 64 universities in the United States (both public and private) and two universities in Canada. AAU membership is by invitation only and requires an affirmative vote of three-quarters of current members.

Reply to this post

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:06 PM

4. We're barely inching up at all.

Around 40% have started vaccination; fewer than 50% are fully vaccinated.

On the bright side - the infecton rate dropped below 50/100,000 over a two-week perriod.

My county is still 66/100,000 over a two week period. But close to what I consider a reasonably safe level.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:20 PM

6. I noticed that recently.

Only a few days after DeWine lifted the mandates earlier than previously promised, which was supposed to be when we got below 50 new cases per 100k population over a 2-week period.

My county is still barely below the 2-week number of 50. It's often been similar to the statewide average for several months, with a few exceptions along the way.

Reply to this post

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #6)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:25 PM

7. At least you're below . . .

As of the last available data, we were at 66 cases.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:16 PM

16. The numbers are better than that, according to the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

United States vaccinations*

Everyone (total population, including babies and children too young for the shots)
52% have at least one vaccination
42% are fully vaccinated

12 and up
61% at least one
50% fully vaccinated

18 and up
64% at least one
53% fully vaccinated

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:26 PM

8. Something else happened since January. Let me think...

Oh yeah! DJT moved his fat ass out of the White House.
Didn't take long for green grass to sprout where there was once scorched earth.

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #8)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:34 PM

11. Don't forget Jared took 20 million doses of vaccines for his rich friends and the Saudis too.

n/t

Reply to this post

Response to JohnnyRingo (Reply #8)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:42 PM

18. Well, it might be more accurate to say that...

DJT'S fat ass was BOOTED out of the White House!

Seeing as how he left under duress and all. But yes, that is a thing that happened, thank whatever gods may be!

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:30 PM

10. Did I read on DU a few days or a week ago

that the infection rate dropped among the vaccinated - but stayed pretty much the same among the non-vaxxers?

Or did having so many people vaccinated prevent the spread of disease among the refuseniks as well?

In any case, the drop in new cases is wonderful news.

Reply to this post

Response to Leith (Reply #10)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:36 PM

12. Yes, that was an analysis done by the WaPo...

... a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's still true.

It surprised me at the time because I figured the non-vaccinated would've benefitted more from the vaccinated by then. The article speculated that more infectious variants played a role too.

Reply to this post

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #12)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:43 PM

13. Thanks!

I read a lot of different sites. I pick up various bits of information, but I can't remember where I got them from.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:11 PM

14. Have Any Hotspots Shown Up

Following the Memorial Day celebrations.

Reply to this post

Response to DallasNE (Reply #14)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:16 PM

15. I think the timeline on that....

is coming up next week. Two weeks post holiday should tell the story. Fingers crossed, but the real test will be when summer is over and people retreat indoors again.

Reply to this post

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #15)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 07:16 PM

22. Correct

It occurs after those infected at the festivities bring it back into the larger community - the 2ns infection group of relatives and co-workers.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:36 PM

17. Thank God. Can we finally start returning to some normalcy

Between being in Shanghai when all this started and now, I've been living under this insanity since November of 2019.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:49 PM

19. I know exactly how to reach the goal...

Announce that due to lack of takers, all remaining vaccines are being sent to countries that have a greater need.

Hear the screams go up as people then demand what they think they can no longer have.

Reply to this post

Response to tavernier (Reply #19)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:59 PM

20. That might work

and is actually what we should do at some point. This is a planetary challenge.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:59 PM

21. Here in my rural Trump County in CA

Deaths have surged. As of May 1 of THIS year we had 21 deaths total. As of today we have 37 deaths; just 4 today. Less than 30% are vaccinated. Only 15% of the staff are vaccinated at the skilled nursing facility here. Churches account for many of the deaths. Denial continues.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 07:36 PM

23. The virus is almost in full retreat, at least here in NA. The affluent part of NA.

On our island of roughly 400,000 souls, our case count has fallen from nearly 1 in 1000 to well under one in 10,000 in the last 3 to 4 months. A pretty similar result to the OP!

Of course, I hate the devastated lives, and devastated businesses, but from a strictly personal POV, it hasn't been that bad for me and mine. At least, here in Victoria. Back in WNY, a huge % of family and friends (of my wife) caught it, but no one died.

In fact, at the risk of appearing to be completely out of my mind. I'm going to miss some aspects of it. The reaction here was much different - even polar opposites - than it has been in other venues. People were more polite, patient and considerate, without a doubt, especially at the beginning. It was quite the feeling of community afoot, when you were out doing necessary errands and so on. Our social life has not been exactly led at breakneck speed for years now, so that didn't change that much.

I almost hate to say it, but it wasn't that bad for my wife and I.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 12, 2021, 06:30 PM

24. And a friend of mine just told me this a.m. that over 2000 cases of Covid were diagnosed

n SW Missouri...2000! This is trump country, Joplin MO and Springfield MO area...I predicted that rural areas of the US who have fiercely resisted being vaccinated are now coming down in droves...this is probably occurring in many other rural areas of the US...does anyone else have any other similar stories? These nuts are going to prolong Covid 19 suffering across the entire Country before all of this finally goes away. Thus the keywords here are be safe still, and get your vaccine shots.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #24)

Sat Jun 12, 2021, 08:16 PM

25. The top 17 states for % being vaccinated and 22 or 23 of the top 25 states for vaccination rates ...

... voted blue and the bottom 20 or so states for not getting vaccinated all voted red. Mississippi
and Alabama had the lowest vaccination rates. I have come to the conclusion that many of the republican
leaders, governors, and Fox News type broadcasters want the pandemic to continue because they don't want
President Biden to have a win. They all know vaccines and masks work but they care more about political
power.

Reply to this post

Response to Botany (Reply #25)

Sun Jun 13, 2021, 01:57 PM

26. I daresay that you are right, that these thugs don't give one hoot about regular people, and care

more about businesses and the 1%ers far more than us. I was shocked about the ultra-high numbers from SW Missouri but in a way, I've been saying all along that the rural areas (rump nuts are concentrated in these areas it seems like) and their obstinate refusal to get vaccinated is going to make a lot of them sick and/or die. Kind of serves them right but my big concern is that these people will flock to our hospitals, overwhelm our hospitals, flee to blue areas, where it is more supposedly safer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread