HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gangrene, Hearing Loss Sh...

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:11 AM

Gangrene, Hearing Loss Show Delta Variant May Be More Severe

The coronavirus variant driving India’s devastating Covid-19 second wave is the most infectious to emerge so far. Doctors now want to know if it’s also more severe.

Hearing impairment, severe gastric upsets and blood clots leading to gangrene, symptoms not typically seen in Covid patients, have been linked by doctors in India to the so-called delta variant. In England and Scotland, early evidence suggests the strain -- which is also now dominant there -- carries a higher risk of hospitalization.

Delta, also known as B.1.617.2, has spread to more than 60 countries over the past six months and triggered travel curbs from Australia to the U.S. A spike in infections, fueled by the variant, has forced U.K. to reconsider its plans for reopening later this month, with a local report saying it may be pushed back by two weeks. Singapore found that the mutation accounted for 95% of the local Covid samples linked to variants of concern. Higher rates of transmission and a reduction in the effectiveness of vaccines have made understanding the strain’s effects especially critical.

“We need more scientific research to analyze if these newer clinical presentations are linked to B.1.617 or not,” said Abdul Ghafur, an infectious disease physician at the Apollo Hospital in Chennai, southern India’s largest city. Ghafur said he is seeing more Covid patients with diarrhea now than in the initial wave of the pandemic.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-07/gangrene-hearing-loss-point-to-delta-variant-being-more-severe

19 replies, 1839 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gangrene, Hearing Loss Show Delta Variant May Be More Severe (Original post)
Klaralven Jun 8 OP
Hugin Jun 8 #1
Klaralven Jun 8 #2
multigraincracker Jun 8 #4
BobTheSubgenius Jun 8 #9
Hugin Jun 8 #5
IronLionZion Jun 8 #7
CrispyQ Jun 8 #3
IronLionZion Jun 8 #6
Klaralven Jun 8 #10
BobTheSubgenius Jun 8 #8
Demsrule86 Jun 8 #11
womanofthehills Jun 8 #12
Ms. Toad Jun 8 #13
Hugin Jun 8 #15
Ms. Toad Jun 8 #16
chowder66 Jun 8 #18
I_UndergroundPanther Jun 8 #14
womanofthehills Jun 8 #17
roamer65 Jun 8 #19

Response to Klaralven (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:15 AM

1. "In England and Scotland -- now dominant there."

Yow.

"more Covid patients with diarrhea now than in the initial wave of the pandemic."

I've been hearing this is true in parts of the US as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hugin (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:27 AM

2. It's premature to lift travel restrictions, masks, social distancing until this is figured out

Assume other people are dangerous to your health.

Reply to this post

Response to Klaralven (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 10:25 AM

4. An ounce of precaution,

is worth a pound of cure. More important than ever.

Reply to this post

Response to multigraincracker (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 12:14 PM

9. In this case, I'd say the relative amounts are separated exponentially.

People here are still wearing masks in indoor, public spaces, and in outdoor venues, if social distancing isn't possible. Over the last 3 or 4 months, our case count has gone from nearly 100 per 100,000 to less than 10. It's making some people chafe and posture, of course, but mainly, people are taking the right message and opting for our best shot at killing it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 11:01 AM

5. I've done very little to modify my personal COVID protocols.

Subsequent to my being vaccinated. Except to issue a massive sigh of relief. :whew: Along with a big THANK YOU to the Biden/Harris Administration for making it possible.

I keep reminding those who will listen that this is a global pandemic and there are other awful diseases out there.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 11:51 AM

7. We can't rely on governments or businesses to do that

since they want revenue. It's up to us as individuals to continue wearing masks and social distancing from people we don't know for some time. Conservatives are often unvaxxed and unmasked and making stupid comments so they are easy to avoid.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:34 AM

3. Where I live hardly anyone is wearing masks anymore. Maybe 15-20% of the people.

I'll be wearing mine for a long time.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 11:48 AM

6. I still wear masks indoors around people

some places they make idiotic comments, but I don't care. Businesses here vary a lot in their guidelines. Some are fully open 100%. Others are outdoor/takeout only. Transit/rideshare is still mandatory masks.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 01:05 PM

10. I was just at the supermarket, and people are half-masked

Since this is senior day, and most were pretty old, I'd guess that most on the non-mask wearing people were vaccinated.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 12:08 PM

8. I wqonder of anti-coagulents should be part of the initial, standard treatment.

I take them every day, and will for life, because I have a titanium heart valve and it's not a question of "if" it will one day throw a clot, but "when." It's cheap, and the only downside that I've encountered is that you bleed and bruise somewhat more easily. Small price to pay to counter a stroke, I think.

Perhaps the clotting produced by Covid, and especially this variant, is more pernicious than more "normal" coagulation, and the dose would have to be pushed too hard for patients to be safe.

Reply to this post

Response to BobTheSubgenius (Reply #8)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 01:27 PM

11. My brother had Covid...fairly early in Connecticut. He nearly died. He had blood clots

in his lungs and dangerously close to his heart. Some patients in that area were prepped for open-heart surgery and subsequently, the Doctors discovered it was blood clots. My brother was lucky to survive.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 02:07 PM

12. Pfizer - 5 times lower levels of neutralizing antibody

How effective is the Pfizer vaccine against the Delta variant?
A study published in The Lancet revealed that those fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine are likely to produce five times lower levels of neutralising antibodies against the Delta variant (B.1.617.2).
The tests conducted in the study showed reduced levels of antibody protection with age, especially over a period of time.https://www.thequint.com/amp/story/coronavirus/faq/how-effective-are-vaccines-against-different-variants-pfizer-covishield-covaxin

SO - What’s the percentage of protection??? 20% or 50% - a definite roundabout way to say this!!!! ANYONE- what do you think. Plus it sounds like whatever the percentage is, it will be even lower for seniors.

Reply to this post

Response to womanofthehills (Reply #12)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 04:12 PM

13. We really don't know.

You would have to measure what it takes for an unvaccinated person in the ordnary population to become ill. 20 exposures? 3 hours in a room with 5 people with COVID? There are so many variables (what is the infection rate in the community, what variants are circulating, are people without vaccinations wearing masks, are vaccinated people wearing masks).

Whatever it takes for a vaccinated person to become ill - with the regular COVID - multply that by .05.

What this new data means - maybe is that instead of multiplying an unvaccinated risk by .05 you multiply it by .25? Not sure there is a direct connection between neutralizing antibodies produced and ability to fight off COVID.

All of these unknowns are a large part of the reason I"m stll wearing a mask indoors. The hassle of wearing a mask isn't worth dying to avoid. People have taken the LA study and run with that as the risk of dying. Aside from the fact that dying is not the only risk, that is the risk under particular circumstances (e.g. near-universal masking) over a very brief period. Risk over time is a linear multiplier of the measured risk - if no condtions change. And we all know that shortly after that study was relased all the maksholes stopped wearng masks.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #13)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:54 PM

15. It sounds as if your approach to the situation is close to mine...

I'd rather not get the 'rona at all and the basic guidelines have served me well thus far.

Yeah, I've done a couple of things which would have been unthinkable pre-vaccine. Mostly in other areas of self-care, neglected loved ones, and to scratch a few low risk COVID cravings which had been driving me nuts.

When asked about why I was vaccinated if my intent wasn't to run naked and dive into the nearest petri dish as though nothing had happened.

I reply some immunity is better than the no immunity, we all lived with for more than a year. I also add how grateful I am that the current Administration and my local and state officials made a vaccination so easy and fast for me to obtain.

That was one of the greatest gifts and benefits I've ever received from the government, aside from my education.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #15)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:23 PM

16. Pretty similar -

I'm holding out for

Reply to this post

Response to womanofthehills (Reply #12)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 07:32 PM

18. This article says 2 shots are 88% effective against the variant

snip

A highly transmissible coronavirus variant first identified in India accounts for 6 percent of new infections in the United States, the Biden administration said Tuesday. Yet vaccines appear to be highly effective against this version of the virus that has quickly spread into Great Britain and elsewhere.

Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious-disease expert, revealed the extent of the variant’s push into the United States, but said it appears to be slowed by vaccines.

“It’s essentially taking over” in the United Kingdom, Fauci said at a briefing for reporters. “We cannot let that happen in the United States, which is such a powerful argument” for vaccination, he said.
Fauci referred to data from Britain’s public health agency that shows two doses of the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca are 88 percent effective in preventing symptomatic disease caused by the new variant, also known as delta. He said in an interview that the Pfizer data would be similar for Moderna’s product, which also is an mRNA vaccine.

But one vaccine dose offers just 33 percent protection, the data shows, a reminder of how strongly the second shot boosts immunity to the virus, Fauci said. With the United States in the midst of providing vaccines to adolescents and other people who have waited to get them, second doses are critical, he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/us-delta-variant/2021/06/08/15c10760-c86b-11eb-81b1-34796c7393af_story.html

And about the website you linked to thequint...

These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: India 136/180

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-quint/

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 05:38 PM

14. Scary as shit

Then we have godamn
Republican fools and anti vaccine assholes.
Magats that don't mask.

I bet if the Indian variant gets here eventually those magats who would lose feet and hands
Would still not wear a mask or admit it was covid. Evilgelicals would still go to churches as the variant takes them 1 by 1. And don't forget,uselessly praying... If it's as contagious as it is in India as they say it is...we may have to lockdown again.

The business owners will whine,the magats will tempertantrum,the republicans will spew bullshit.Quanon will lie,Antivaxxers won't get vaccines and the right will screw people blame the Dems..and pontificate about something they don't know jack shit about.

And Biden will do what is nessary to help the people to survive it.
Contagion might be a serious problem with variants.

We might need vaccine passports,as it will require us to get booster shots. And possibly proof you got the booster shots..

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 06:32 PM

17. The Indian variant (Delta)is here - 8 % of cases on June 1

Highly Contagious COVID-19 Variant Is Spreading Rapidly In US: Report

The highly contagious B.1.617.2 variant of COVID-19, first detected in India, is now rapidly spreading in the United States, new data shows.

A new report published Tuesday by Outbreak.info showed that the B.1.617.2 variant, referred to as “Delta,” now makes up 8% of all reported new infections in the U.S. The B.1.617.2 variant accounted only for 1% of new cases at the start of May. https://www.ibtimes.com/highly-contagious-covid-19-variant-spreading-rapidly-us-report-3214679#:~:text=The%20highly%20contagious%20B.1.617.2%20variant%20of%20COVID-19%2C%20first,of%20all%20reported%20new%20infections%20in%20the%20U.S.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 07:37 PM

19. Republican anti-vaxxers, step right up.

🦠🦠🦠🦠Take one for your orange overlord. 🦠🦠🦠🦠

C’mon, I dare you. PLEASE.

Your ever loving and variable virus,

SARS-CoV-2.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread