HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If you think our democrac...

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 05:44 PM

If you think our democracy is safe, you haven't been paying attention

No foreign "enemy" is going to overthrow us. The danger to democracy is right in our midst. The enemy of democracy is the Republican Party and everyone who votes for them.

Many here think this is some abstract bullshit that can't happen. And my answer to that is, if you can't see the various ways the Republican Party is fixing/twisting/stealing the 2022 and 2024 elections, in more states than you can imagine, then you're brain dead. Don't believe me? Okay. But do me a favor, print out this post, tuck it away someplace and take another look at it in two years.

So, of course, the "Nazi stuff" comes next. Most Germans were clueless in 1932. They didn't think "it" could happen there. But within a couple of years, they were either members of the Nazi Party, making believe they were members of the Nazi Party, or on their way to internment camps (which turned into death camps). But, of course, that could never happen here. After all. This is America.

The reality is that there are Millions of people who actually believe "It can't happen here." I'm begging you to please, please, THINK! It's happening. It's happening here. It's happening now. And, no. I won't offer any "proof." The proof has been in front of your faces for years. All you need to do is read, watch, listen, and think.

I've been doing posts similar to this one over the past few months and I can't believe how many people here on DU still don't "get it." They refuse to see reality as much as Republicans refuse to grasp the sheer magnitude of the hatreds and sheer insanity that Trump unleashed in today's Republican Party. (Hatreds and mental instabilities that were always there waiting for someone to kick open the door.)

All of our freedoms are teetering on the edge of a cliff. Believe what you like. But that's a reality that you're not going to wish away.

7 replies, 447 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply If you think our democracy is safe, you haven't been paying attention (Original post)
Cyrano Jun 4 OP
marble falls Jun 4 #1
Cyrano Jun 4 #3
marble falls Jun 4 #4
Fiendish Thingy Jun 4 #2
marble falls Jun 4 #5
RegularJam Jun 4 #6
hamsterjill Jun 4 #7

Response to Cyrano (Original post)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 05:50 PM

1. Our democracy is safe.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marble falls (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 06:16 PM

3. There's a guy with a bunch of pillows to sell you

Reply to this post

Response to Cyrano (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 06:22 PM

4. He's the guy running around screaming how the democracy is in trouble, that pillow guy ...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha!

The democracy of our Republic is safe.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 05:54 PM

2. I get it. The fight is now, in the streets if necessary, can't wait until November 2022. Nt

Reply to this post

Response to Fiendish Thingy (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 06:23 PM

5. The price of freedom is eternal vigilence.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 06:38 PM

6. There is simply a lot more to it than that.

Democracy swings on a pendulum. Never in history has a democratic government not been swinging in one way or another.

Can our method of democracy come to an end in the next twenty or so years? Absolutely.

Is it right now? No, but the pendulum is swinging in that direction and itís quite frightening.

We have a couple of things unfolding at once.

We have a political party working to suppress their opposition by putting impediments between voters and the ballot box. Donít kid yourself and act like this is something new.

We have decades of people being brought up on crap news. Many are being swept up by well funded propaganda outlets.

We have archaic rules in government designed to slow things down. Huge benefit and drawback. Makes changing tides more difficult.

We have minority rule nationally. Republicans have the land, we have the voters. Land wins.

We have over one hundred million people who donít get this. They donít think it can happen here. I truly believe that. Thatís one of your most glaring errors outside of not understanding what the Naziís were about. Itís useless to throw that around in the context in which you did. But this point actually bolsters your argument. Itís easier to end a democracy when tens of millions of people are out having fun.

Most of this is not new. There has never been a democracy that hasnít had to be fought for daily. The pendulum is swinging the wrong way. We need to change that. Itís why we are fighting. What is new is the amount of money flowing into extremist propaganda outlets.

Saying people are brain dead if they donít agree is a winner.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread