HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » They gathered in Dallas t...

Thu Jun 3, 2021, 07:04 PM

They gathered in Dallas to call for violence if they don't get their way

Tweet text:
justin glawe
@JustinGlawe
Here's my dispatch from Dallas, where Mike Flynn compared "patriots" getting kicked off social media to the 5,000 men who died on Omaha Beach on Normandy. On Memorial Day weekend, no less.

They gathered in Dallas to call for violence if they don't get their way
"Patriots" spent Memorial Day talking about the next act of violence they'll commit if they don't win future elections — and to hand their money to far-right grifters. I snuck in to join them.
justinglawe.substack.com
3:10 PM · Jun 3, 2021

https://justinglawe.substack.com/p/they-gathered-in-dallas-to-call-for

The flags are at half staff for the latest mass shooting outside a hotel in Dallas and hundreds of normal, respectable-looking white people are in their finest dress to have drinks with two far-right celebrities who over the next three days will tell them the lies that they all believe as they plan the next insurrection, coup, civil war, revolution or something worse.

This is the “For God and Country Patriot Roundup,” and the faithful have come from all across the America to practice their new religion: a twisted combination of QAnon, fervent belief in widespread election fraud, the contradictory beliefs that COVID is both a hoax and something foisted on us by the Chinese as an act of war, disbelief in masks and the vaccine, and the deeply-held conviction that these “Patriots” are in a Biblical struggle for the future of the country and the world.

Only the truth can hold them back.

For three days they gathered in the dim ballroom of a downtown honky tonk and did what they were told. “Who’s a patriot?” the main organizer, a plaid blazer of a man known as “QAnon John,” would ask them. “I’m a patriot!” came the inevitable reply. “I want you all to clap like this,” a man said and they did, all clapping along for the Star Spangled Banner. They sang along with the man, a Black comic who had just made a dick joke about Michelle Obama, with most of them forgetting to remove their hats. They listened as a disgraced general compared getting kicked off of Twitter and Facebook to American soldiers who have died in combat. Five thousand men died on Omaha Beach alone when we stormed Normandy, Mike Flynn reminded them, so surely these patriots could sacrifice their precious feeds by sharing a meme or a story that is not true. They reveled in their time with each other, the loneliness that pervades their lives — largely caused by this belief system that alienates themselves from friends, family and society at large — washing away in a sea of red MAGA hats and t-shirts with QAnon slogans and references. Where we go one, we go all, they reminded themselves, not understanding that the only place left for them to go is into each other’s arms. But the insular nature of this movement, religion, cult, or whatever you want to call it should not serve as reason to dismiss these people. It’s unclear how many of them there are across the country, but on Memorial Day weekend as many as 1,500 of them chose to pay between $500 and $1,000 to spend the first three-day weekend since the pandemic lockdowns ended with each other. That is no insignificant number.

*snip*

1 replies, 930 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply They gathered in Dallas to call for violence if they don't get their way (Original post)
Nevilledog Jun 3 OP
peggysue2 Jun 3 #1

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Thu Jun 3, 2021, 07:39 PM

1. Gee, they spent $500-$1000

I thought this was all about 'economic anxiety,' being left behind blah, blah, blah.

These are people looking forward to the Apocalypse, the one they are trying to breathe into being. I wonder how many are familiar with the name James Watkins or his son Ron, the alleged creators of the Qanon movement? As ABC reported, the men have been hiding in plain site on a pig farm outside Manila.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread