HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Woman treated for burns a...

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 08:51 PM

Woman treated for burns after attack with unknown liquid

apnews.com
Woman treated for burns after attack with unknown liquid

ABINGDON, Md. (AP) -- A woman was treated for apparent chemical burns after she said two people yelled homophobic remarks and threw liquid at her, the Harford County Sheriff's Office said.

The Baltimore County woman told deputies that it happened in the Home Goods store parking lot in Abingdon on Thursday afternoon, according to a news release posted on social media. The woman said two people in a small black car yelled homophobic remarks at her, then threw an unknown liquid at her before driving off.

At first, the woman believed the liquid was water and she continued with her day, but an hour later, her skin began itching and she went to a local urgent care for treatment of what appeared to be chemical burns.

She reported the incident to police that night.

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-634eefd2de0149a5db5b49dbb6124fe1

1 replies, 735 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Woman treated for burns after attack with unknown liquid (Original post)
twin_ghost Jun 1 OP
ProfessorGAC Jun 1 #1

Response to twin_ghost (Original post)

Tue Jun 1, 2021, 09:03 PM

1. Sounds Like Hydrogen Peroxide

Strong, high concentration acids don't take an hour to hurt. Personal experience with that! (Sulfuric acid burns in college.)
Strong alkalis don't take an hour either. I know people who got concentrated sodium hydroxide on their skin. The burns took a couple seconds.
If it were chlorine bleach, she wouldn't have thought it was water. The odor would be obvious.
But, diluted acid or base as used in an institutional drain cleaner (minimal dye, no fragrance) would take some time to cause enough damage to start hurting.
Also, a 10-15% peroxide solution might take an hour. The 35 & 50% industrial stuff burns immediately too. (Personal experience again, on my fingertips.)
But, peroxide would definitely seem to be just water and would be odorless at almost any concentration. The 12% solution is a common industrial product. Sold under the tradename Albone 12.
So, I'm betting peroxide or a drain cleaner.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread