HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » White House unveils plans...

Sat May 29, 2021, 02:49 AM

White House unveils plans for wind farms in the Pacific Ocean off California's coast

The Biden administration said Tuesday that it will develop offshore wind projects in the Pacific Ocean in partnership with the state of California.

The move, which is the first of its kind, is a key stepping stone toward the White House’s goal of deploying 30 gigawatts of offshore wind by 2030.

One earmarked area encompasses around 399 square miles off California’s central coast. This area is projected to support 3 GW of offshore wind. A second potential location is off the northern coast of California. In total, the administration is targeting 4.6 GW of clean energy added to the grid through these projects, which is enough to power about 1.6 million homes.

The announcement follows years of discussion between the departments of the Interior and Defense as viable locations were scouted.

“Developing offshore wind to produce clean, renewable energy could be a game changer to achieving California’s clean energy goals and addressing climate change — all while bolstering the economy and creating new jobs,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement.

In addition to the environmental benefits, the Biden administration also highlighted the economic impacts, especially when it comes to jobs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/25/white-house-unveils-plans-for-wind-farm-in-the-pacific-ocean-off-californias-coast.html

3 replies, 559 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House unveils plans for wind farms in the Pacific Ocean off California's coast (Original post)
RandySF May 29 OP
NBachers May 29 #1
smirkymonkey May 29 #2
2naSalit May 29 #3

Response to RandySF (Original post)

Sat May 29, 2021, 03:03 AM

1. Beats the hell out of oil wells.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 29, 2021, 03:06 AM

2. What? And give all those people cancer?

Are they crazy?!

Reply to this post

Sat May 29, 2021, 08:15 AM

3. So, I wonder at the design for this...

Which type of turbines will be used? And will they be floating? I can't see how this could work if they were attached to the sea floor in a subduction zone. Some turbines don't have big, long blades reaching out to kingdom come like you see on land most everywhere, some look like a push-mower blade arrangement. I'm sure much research has been done or will be regarding these questions, I am interested in what it shows.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread