HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Defeat AB1139 in Californ...

Sun May 23, 2021, 02:46 PM

Defeat AB1139 in California- utilities' attempt to destroy home solar

Utilities in California are attempting to destroy solar power's financial incentive for homeowners in California, and unfortunately have found a willing collaborator in Democratic legislator Lorena Gonzalez to do it.

An article in the Sac Bee today:

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/article251505788.html

Property Brother: The benefits of rooftop solar should be accessible for every Californian

The state’s three biggest power companies, Pacific Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric, want to eliminate compensation solar customers earn for any excess power they send back to the grid, an agreement known as net-metering. But it’s more like net-plundering under their proposed policies. They also want to charge everyone who owns rooftop solar a monthly solar tax of up to $90 — essentially penalizing solar adopters for investing in clean energy.

We’ve seen this same power struggle play out again and again.

I lived through it in Las Vegas, where I naively thought installing solar on my home was an easy and obvious choice. Instead, I watched the monopoly utility gut its net-metering program and effectively bankrupt Nevada’s solar industry, putting thousands of people out of work. Only after politicians faced an ugly backlash from the public was the decision finally reversed.

Why am I voicing my opinion? Why shouldn’t I just keep swinging a hammer and being a “Property Brother”? It’s for the same reason I dedicated the past three years to investigating utility attacks on solar for my documentary, “Power Trip.” Sadly, the utilities usually win, and it’s always with the same playbook. Spend a lot on ads, confuse the public and roll back clean energy progress.

1 replies, 569 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Defeat AB1139 in California- utilities' attempt to destroy home solar (Original post)
KentuckyStiffRipple May 23 OP
KentuckyStiffRipple May 23 #1

Reply to this thread