HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Apple fires man who calle...

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:32 PM

Apple fires man who called Bay Area women "useless baggage you'd trade for a box of shotgun shells"

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/Apple-Antonio-Garcia-Martinez-Bay-Area-women-weak-16174745.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

A Silicon Valley mainstay was hired by Apple last month but left Tuesday after massive internal backlash from employees over large portions in his book.

Antonio García Martínez, a tech guy who previously worked at Facebook and Goldman Sachs and has contributed extensively to media outlets like Wired, was hired last month for Apple’s advertising tech division.

His book, “Chaos Monkeys,” was published in 2016 and, at the time, was met with glowing reviews from the tech media circuit for its frankness about the culture of the industry.

But the reviews largely glossed over some dubious sections in the book, highlighted in an internal letter published Wednesday by Apple employees — many of them women and people of color — who expressed vehement opposition to his hiring on the grounds that sexist statements in the book were in direct opposition to “Apple’s commitment to Inclusion & Diversity.”

There’s a line in which he says most women at Facebook are not “conventionally attractive” and a tangent about the accent of Chander Sarna, an Indian tech exec who now works at an employment startup in Sunnyvale. García Martínez also describes East Palo Alto as a “local slum.”

“Most women in the Bay Area are soft and weak, cosseted and naive despite their claims of worldliness, and generally full of s—t,” reads an excerpt from “Chaos Monkeys.” “They have their self-regarding entitlement feminism, and ceaselessly vaunt their independence, but the reality is, come the epidemic plague or foreign invasion, they’d become precisely the sort of useless baggage you’d trade for a box of shotgun shells or a jerry can of diesel.”

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/Apple-Antonio-Garcia-Martinez-Bay-Area-women-weak-16174745.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight

16 replies, 951 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:35 PM

1. He seems nice.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ocelot II (Reply #1)

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:36 PM

3. yeah, his twitter is full of his goodbyes to the home he just sold to move to new job

job he just lost.

Reply to this post

Response to Ocelot II (Reply #1)

Thu May 13, 2021, 06:44 PM

11. Correct Answer! Congratulations-We Were All Counting on You

must be the first response-always

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:36 PM

2. Apparently Apple not much into vetting.

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:38 PM

4. He sorta sounds like the kinda guy you might suddenly notice

was shooting strangers from an upper story hotel window

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:39 PM

5. The Chaos Monkey is no longer in need of employment

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #5)

Thu May 13, 2021, 06:11 PM

8. Chaos Monkeys would make an awesome band name!

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #5)

Thu May 13, 2021, 07:12 PM

14. This is the Adonis Wizard? Barf

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 05:53 PM

6. One small step for the women of Apple, .

One large step for Womankind.

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 06:00 PM

7. Fox News always has openings for tokens, dude.

They'll love you there.

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 06:19 PM

9. He is an asshole and that is the tone of the book.

I guess if Anthony Bourdain were alive he would not be able to get work either because of Kitchen Confidential. (Which if you haven't read makes the quoted paragraph above read like Dr. Seuss... alright bad example reads like Sleeping Beauty... crap can't use that one either anymore... Um is that big red dog still okay?)

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 06:20 PM

10. Freaking misogynist. And if "most women in the Bay Area" were all tough & into leather & tats....

...what would he have to say about them then? Don't even bother to tell me — because what’s supremely clear is that in his unevolved little mind, females have no place in the masculine manly world of men’s work whatsoever, and I’d bet good money he was only too happy to drive them out of the online gaming world in his younger days.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #10)

Thu May 13, 2021, 06:47 PM

12. I'd bet he's not much too look at either.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #10)

Thu May 13, 2021, 07:30 PM

15. Translation: "I'm a raging Incel and most women in the Bay Area wouldn't give me the

time of day if begged them on my hands and knees. I am SUCH a loser with the ladies!"

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 07:04 PM

13. wow. I sure hope karma isn't done with him yet. What a first rate jackass.

He strikes me as an immature mysogynist who got his ego hurt bc someone turned him down. OR...he lost a job to a woman bc couldn't handle that a woman was better qualified.

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 08:11 PM

16. What a waste of free speech. I get the feeling he'll end up comfortable but single ...

... and burnt out and full of disappointment he is the genesis of himself.

I have a brother who is every bit as bad. The great jobs he lost because he could not keep his anti-feminine, misogynisms to himself. He still believes Covid is a hoax.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread