HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Chris Hayes misspoke.

Mon May 10, 2021, 08:38 PM

Chris Hayes misspoke.

In his coverage of the rich getting richer during the pandemic he said that Jeff Bezos is worth nearly $200billion. Wrong. Bezos may have $200billion, but that doesn't mean he's worth it.

14 replies, 2172 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to madamesilverspurs (Original post)

Mon May 10, 2021, 08:49 PM

1. That's the damn truth!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 10, 2021, 08:58 PM

2. When I see his name

I think of that childrenís TV show from 1959-1962. Should Jeff be wearing a red nose and red wig?

[link:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo_the_Clown|

Reply to this post

Mon May 10, 2021, 08:59 PM

3. Gotta admit, Amazon helped a lot of folks to deal with CV19.

When he sells his stock, heíll pay serious capital gains tax, assuming rate is raised. And I bet the feds have raised lots of tax revenue off people selling shares of Amazon.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #3)

Mon May 10, 2021, 09:22 PM

5. Amazon pushes a lot of Chinese Intellectual Property thievery by not cracking down on bootleggers.

My family has been getting frequent packages from them, but stuff like this burns my bridges.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215410120

And you'll find this with a lot of their sellers, the majority are gray-market or copycat frauds, like vitamins.

They are just a fraction of an inch above the shit sold on eBay.

Reply to this post

Response to TheBlackAdder (Reply #5)

Mon May 10, 2021, 11:11 PM

8. Medicine, etc., I got worked fine. I did get a pair of suspect Levi's once.

But, then, their line of stretch jeans is really nice and reasonable.

As you say itís an improvement over EBay and some other competitors. Iím glad I didnít have to depend on the smaller companies that wasnít ready. By the way, those small companies donít pay squat nowadays. Not suggesting Amazon is perfect in that respect.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #8)

Tue May 11, 2021, 01:34 AM

12. I got quite a few Levi's at Goodwill stores by me. Levi's are $6 a pair and often in 1st Quality.

Some I bought even had their tags still on them.

There are a few posh neighborhoods around and they drop off clothing all the time that were never used. I was able to score on new Brooks Brothers shirts, Izod Lacoste, Hollister and others. There's so many Hilfinger shirts there that you just skip over them.

I never would have thought to go there, but I was losing weight on Keto and needed temporary clothing and didn't want to spend a lot for clothing I'd wear for a couple of months. It's great because if you're working around the house or yard, you don't mind it as much if the clothing gets damaged, because shirts are $2-3 and designer dress ones $5 each.

Reply to this post

Response to TheBlackAdder (Reply #12)

Tue May 11, 2021, 09:24 AM

13. Good idea. Goodwill was best place to get narrow neckties back when the wide ones were in style.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #13)

Tue May 11, 2021, 04:56 PM

14. I'm watching Columbo episodes and William Shatner wears ones that are as wide as a bib.

Other than that, IDK when wide ties were ever in style. Medium withs are in the stores now and at Goodwill.

The Levi's I got were tagged 2018 & 2019. I don't know of anyone who would think they were out of style.

Reply to this post

Mon May 10, 2021, 09:00 PM

4. I get the same feeling when...

it is reported that (for example) "the CEO of xyz company earned 100 million dollars last year."

NObody earns that much money - they are paid that much money.

Reply to this post

Mon May 10, 2021, 09:22 PM

6. Did he do something illegal? Nt

Reply to this post

Mon May 10, 2021, 09:35 PM

7. Well we can now all understand why he and his wife

parted. She is giving away her fortune, he is using his fortune to impress his girlfriend and to show off his wealth to the world. Two very different people and I feel sorry for him, that he is lacking in something that makes him use his wealth to satisfy only himself.

Reply to this post

Response to Bev54 (Reply #7)

Mon May 10, 2021, 11:38 PM

9. Balzac said it best

Behind every great fortune lies a great crime. Honore de Balzac

Look at virtually every multi-millionaire/billionaire and you will see someone who has, at minimum, skirted the law and, often, broken it.

One example, our entire campaign finance system is little more than legalized bribery and you can bet that the ultra-rich are feeding huge amounts of cash into the system to keep the laws that benefit them financially on the books, regardless of how suspect the laws might be.

Reply to this post

Response to Bob_in_VA (Reply #9)

Tue May 11, 2021, 12:13 AM

10. Absolutely.

History from the Memory Hole...

Inequality and Democratic Responsiveness: Who Gets What They Want from Government?*

Martin Gilens Politics Department Princeton University
August 2004

Conclusion...

Most Americans think that public officials don't care much about the preferences of "people like me." Sadly, the results presented above suggest they may be right. Whether or not elected officials and other decision makers "care" about middle-class Americans, influence over actual policy outcomes appears to be reserved almost exclusively for those at the top of the income distribution.

https://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/idr.pdf

Reply to this post

Response to Bev54 (Reply #7)

Tue May 11, 2021, 12:44 AM

11. Maybe he should contribute more, but not like he's not helping.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread