HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » George Pyle: Blocking hat...

Sun May 9, 2021, 01:50 AM

George Pyle: Blocking hate speech and calls for violence isn't canceling. It's editing.

George Pyle: Blocking hate speech and calls for violence isn’t canceling. It’s editing.Government has no more right to dictate standards to Facebook than it does to The Tribune.

By George Pyle at the Salt Lake City Tribune

May 7, 2021, 3:00 p.m.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2021/05/07/george-pyle-blocking-hate/

"SNIP......

Christopher Hitchens, the much-missed contrarian and provocateur, once commented on libertarianism by saying, “I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.”

Today, sadly without Hitchens to help guide us, we are dealing with a movement that argues social media platforms and other means of mass communication are not yet irresponsible enough.

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox created one small speed bump in this road to ruin by vetoing a bill that would have made a small, likely futile, attempt to tell social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter that they don’t have the unlimited right to ban whatever and whomever they wish from their servers and screens.

Cox said he vetoed the bill over “technical issues,” which is an odd way to describe a measure that would have been as unconstitutional as all hell and an idea that would only serve to hasten the demise of the republic.

......SNIP"

3 replies, 493 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply George Pyle: Blocking hate speech and calls for violence isn't canceling. It's editing. (Original post)
applegrove May 9 OP
misanthrope May 9 #1
Coventina May 9 #2
applegrove May 9 #3

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sun May 9, 2021, 02:14 AM

1. Facebook can limit whatever they want on their forum

I am always cautious about government limitations on speech, though. Having grown up in the South, I've seen the ways folks will quickly switch to coded language to express the same thoughts. I've also seen the way they use official limitations to adorn the mantle of persecution.

Most of all what I consider is James Baldwin. Had today's attitudes about speech limitations been in play in the 1960s, Baldwin would have never been afforded the opportunity to completely dismantle William F. Buckley, Jr.'s elitist and segregationist philosophies in a public debate at Cambridge University. It was a classic example of "beating bad ideas with good ideas" and proved far more damaging to racist philosophies and policies than simply preventing Buckley from speaking.

Then again, social media didn't exist at that time the way it does today. If you were going to make public statements, you had to be prepared to defend them and not hide behind internet anonymity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sun May 9, 2021, 03:19 AM

2. I totally read "Gomer Pyle" in your thread title.

It is late, and I'm tired......

Reply to this post

Response to Coventina (Reply #2)

Sun May 9, 2021, 03:28 AM

3. So did I and I've never seen the show he was on. I just know the popular reference.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread