HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Norm Eisen: Rudy Giuliani...

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:19 PM

Norm Eisen: Rudy Giuliani raids signal accountability is coming for the Donald Trump era

Tweet text:
Norm Eisen
@NormEisen
There’s something we are all missing in the Giuliani case

The potential charges go well beyond FARA

And they could implicate Trump.

My latest ⁦@usatodayopinion⁩

Rudy Giuliani raids signal accountability is coming for the Donald Trump era: Norman Eisen
The FBI raids of Giuliani's home and office should worry former President Trump and all who followed his lead in playing fast and loose with the law.
usatoday.com
4:30 AM · May 3, 2021

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/05/03/donald-trump-era-accountability-giuliani-fbi-ukraine-column/4903004001/

Former President Donald Trump and his cronies should beware. The search warrants executed against Trump’s former personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, mark a leap forward in the Department of Justice’s look into the past four years of potential illegalities. It signals turbulent waters ahead for Giuliani and his former client alike.

These warrants are not easy to get. You need to convince a judge there is probable cause of wrongdoing. The warrant must also pass tough review at the highest levels of the DOJ. That these warrants survived this double scrutiny is itself a sign of serious trouble for the former New York mayor. It is particularly unusual for prosecutors to execute a warrant against a lawyer (the most recent notable example is someone else who served as Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen). That's further indication of the depths of Giuliani’s jeopardy.

Evidence against Giuliani and Trump

From what is public so far, including an acknowledgment from Giuliani himself, federal investigators are looking into whether he violated the Foreign Agents Registration Act by acting as an unregistered foreign agent for his Ukrainian “sources.” The evidence I helped present as counsel in the first Trump impeachment showed Giuliani was advancing the agenda of those in Ukraine trying to oust U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch — a staunch corruption fighter who was eventually pushed out.

In recent years, FARA has been more strongly enforced in the aftermath of the cases against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn. The Giuliani investigation is accelerating now that Trump and his DOJ allies are out of office. It would be unusual to conduct raids of this kind if prosecutors were not considering charging Giuliani under FARA.

*snip*

4 replies, 424 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Norm Eisen: Rudy Giuliani raids signal accountability is coming for the Donald Trump era (Original post)
Nevilledog Monday OP
kentuck Monday #1
FakeNoose Monday #2
Blue Owl Monday #3
DinahMoeHum Monday #4

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:24 PM

1. For four years, we heard all about what SDNY was going to do once Trump was no longer in WH...

So far, they have done nothing.

I think there has always been a justice system for the rich and a justice system for everyone else. But, I was under the illusion that no man was above the law.

I'm beginning to see how wrong I was for all those years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:27 PM

2. I don't think we're missing it - Chump's going down

... and all of his buddies are going to throw him under the bus.
One by one.
Rudy first!

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:38 PM

3. Let's see Humpty Trumpty have a great fall

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:44 PM

4. "Gradually, then suddenly", as Hemingway once said. . .

. . .about bankruptcy.

Same thing goes for the reckonings Giuliani and Trump are about to face.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread