HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » this is todays GOP: Idaho...

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:13 PM

this is todays GOP: Idaho intern faced 'overwhelming' hassle after rape report.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/idaho-intern-faced-overwhelming-hassle-222859249.html

REBECCA BOONE
Mon, May 3, 2021, 6:28 PM
BOISE, Idaho (AP) — The moment a 19-year-old intern reported that she was raped by an Idaho lawmaker became public, the harassment began.

One state representative sought a copy of her police report, and made inquiries into how the young woman could be herself referred from criminal charges for reporting the alleged rape. Another shared links to a far-right blog post that included the intern’s name, photo and personal details about her life with thousands of people in a newsletter and on social media. Members of a far-right, anti-government activist group tried to follow and harass the young woman after she was called to testify in a legislative public ethics hearing.

“I can take criticism. I can take people laying out their opinion on me,” the intern told The Associated Press in a phone interview Sunday evening. “But this, it’s just overwhelming.”

The Associated Press doesn’t name people who report sexual assault unless they agree to be publicly named. The intern in this case asked to use the name “Jane Doe,” which is the name she testified under during a legislative ethics committee hearing last week.

The investigation into then-Rep. Aaron von Ehlinger, a Republican from Lewiston, underscores why many alleged sex crimes go unreported. While the #MeToo movement made it clear that sexual harassment and assault remains a widespread problem, survivors can face stigma and disbelief when they come forward. Today about three out of every four sexual assaults go unreported, according to the Rape and Incest National Network, and data from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that as many as one-fifth of sexual violence survivors who chose not to report their crimes to police cited the fear of retaliation as a primary reason

11 replies, 2352 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply this is todays GOP: Idaho intern faced 'overwhelming' hassle after rape report. (Original post)
KG Monday OP
Demovictory9 Monday #1
dhol82 Monday #2
BlueNProud Monday #3
Solly Mack Monday #4
BobTheSubgenius Monday #6
dickthegrouch Tuesday #10
crickets Monday #5
BobTheSubgenius Monday #7
Hekate Monday #8
BobTheSubgenius Tuesday #9
jcgoldie Tuesday #11

Response to KG (Original post)

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:47 PM

1. kick

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:27 PM

2. Horrible story.

Bet she’s now a democrat.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:38 PM

3. Owning the libs by supporting rapists. The party of law and order right?

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:42 PM

4. Disgusting doesn't quite say it.

Reply to this post

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #4)

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:25 PM

6. That is the inadequate word I was going to use.

I'll have to think of another.

Reply to this post

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #4)

Tue May 4, 2021, 05:35 PM

10. Deplorable already triggers them

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:01 PM

5. Well, I guess we can infer that von Ehlinger feels threatened by the report.

Usually, a smarmy public rebuttal calling the victim's motives and morals into question is enough. Especially given his resignation to avoid a removal vote, this level of retaliation is well beyond the pale. Good for Jane Doe for standing up for herself, but how awful to have to go through such a shattering aftermath.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:36 PM

7. Leaving aside the nauseating overall story, there's a weird little facet that has my curiosity.

Why would anti-government activists have so much antipathy towards this poor young woman? Can we infer that they hate women more than they hate the government? That seems like a pretty weak group of activists...not hating their stated antagonist as much as they hate someone that is, for the moment at least, in direct conflict with that same antagonist.

So...the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy. Welcome to the zany world of RWNJs.

Reply to this post

Response to BobTheSubgenius (Reply #7)

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:56 PM

8. Why? Short answer: Because of the enduring misogyny out there in white-rights land. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #8)

Tue May 4, 2021, 11:10 AM

9. That was my thesis as well, although it seems kind of....I don't know....easy?

Assuming that's the case, a group that's willing to take up arms against their government is capable of almost anything when it comes to targets of even higher value, in their estimation.

The RWNJs are SO unhinged now, and their numbers have reached astronomical levels, given the magnitude of their dysfunction. I don't know how this gets "better."

Reply to this post

Tue May 4, 2021, 05:37 PM

11. What's really fucked up..

...besides well everything about this story is that most of the people named who were doxxing the victim were republican WOMEN.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread