HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » In Quebec, Child Care Is ...

Sun May 2, 2021, 09:40 PM

In Quebec, Child Care Is Infrastructure

(Bloomberg) While child care centers across the U.S. have faced a spate of closures during the pandemic, the Canadian province that pioneered a model for universal subsidized child care had a markedly different experience — even from the rest of Canada.

Though providers in Quebec faced many of the same struggles to keep kids and caregivers safe, more centers were able to stay open, and in some cases thrive.

A major reason Quebec’s system fared better was its funding model, according to a new report by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. The research builds on other economic studies that have concluded a market-based approach does not work well for the child care industry, especially during an economic downturn.

“I’ve been defending private markets all my life. I’m not an extreme leftist. But you also have to be pragmatic. Child care is an area where private markets don’t do a very good job,” said Pierre Fortin, an economist at the University of Quebec at Montreal who has done extensive research on Quebec’s system. ...............(more)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-29/lessons-from-quebec-on-universal-child-care?srnd=premium

4 replies, 549 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply In Quebec, Child Care Is Infrastructure (Original post)
marmar Sunday OP
Irish_Dem Sunday #1
Solly Mack Sunday #2
Terry_M Sunday #3
Warpy Monday #4

Response to marmar (Original post)

Sun May 2, 2021, 09:43 PM

1. Tres Bien.

Maybe we can learn something from the wonderful province of Quebec.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun May 2, 2021, 11:00 PM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 11:09 PM

3. Sounds like communism!

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 12:37 AM

4. It is here, too

but too many stupid Republican men don't have to deal with it, so they think it's some kind of silly frill.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread