HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Swiss City Offers Homeles...

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:34 PM

Swiss City Offers Homeless One-Way Travel Ticket to Europe If They Sign Contract to Never Return

City Offers Homeless One-Way Travel Ticket to Europe If They Sign Contract to Never Return

The city of Basel in Switzerland has offered its homeless community a free one-way ticket to any other European destination if they agree to sign a contract vowing never to return.

Toprak Yergu, a Basel Department of Justice spokesperson, told local newspaper 20 Minutes that homeless individuals in the city can request a travel voucher and 20 Swiss Francs—USD$21.90. In return, the individuals must sign a contract vowing not to return to the country for a specified period of time.

The official told the outlet any individuals caught violating the contract could face deportation.

"Beneficiaries must undertake in writing not to return to Switzerland—at least for a certain period of time. If they are checked again, they risk expulsion from our country," Yergu said.

Thirty one homeless individuals have taken the city's offer including 14 from Romania and seven from Germany, according to Le News, an English-language newspaper published in Switzerland.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/city-offers-homeless-one-way-travel-ticket-to-europe-if-they-sign-contract-to-never-return/ar-BB1ggpzo

15 replies, 866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Swiss City Offers Homeless One-Way Travel Ticket to Europe If They Sign Contract to Never Return (Original post)
Demovictory9 May 2 OP
SheltieLover May 2 #1
wryter2000 May 2 #3
SheltieLover May 2 #4
Treefrog May 2 #2
Demovictory9 May 2 #8
Treefrog May 2 #10
SWBTATTReg May 2 #5
intrepidity May 2 #6
Demovictory9 May 2 #7
Beastly Boy May 2 #9
RockRaven May 2 #11
TeslaNova May 2 #12
W_HAMILTON May 2 #13
DFW May 3 #14
Johnny2X2X May 3 #15

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:37 PM

1. Can we send magats to Russia one-way, no return?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #1)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:41 PM

3. Where do I donate to that?

Reply to this post

Response to wryter2000 (Reply #3)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:47 PM

4. I wish...

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:38 PM

2. 20 bucks? Switzerland can't come up with a hundred at least?

$20 bucks barely buys anything in most European cities I’ve visited.

Reply to this post

Response to Treefrog (Reply #2)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:57 PM

8. give them $500

Reply to this post

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #8)

10. Even better.

$20 bucks. Holy crap.

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:53 PM

5. Ah, yes, here's an easy way to eliminate our homeless problem! Send them elsewhere to other ...

Countries and let them deal w/ the mess!

I got a funny feeling that those on the receiving end of these economic refugees are going to resent Switzerland sending their worst to them...pathetic. Could some of these homeless be elderly citizens not able to afford their current housing or such?

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:54 PM

6. ...and the penalty for returning? Another one-way ticket out lol nt

Reply to this post

Response to intrepidity (Reply #6)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:56 PM

7. lol.. without the $21

Reply to this post

9. The Strassbourg homeless are in luck!

A bus ticket from Strassbourg to Basel is 10 bucks. A trip back is free, and you get 20 bucks to leave. Every homeless person in Strassbourg can pocket 10 bucks without trying and have a few vacation days in Basel.

I am off to Strassbourg to make some money!

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 07:05 PM

11. This sort of thing happens in America, between states.

Here's a Mother Jones article from 2015 about the resolution of a lawsuit between San Francisco and Nevada -- who was discharging patients from their inpatient psychiatric facility with one way bus tickets to... anywhere but there.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/10/nevada-settles-busing-homeless-lawsuit-san-francisco/

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 07:10 PM

12. Basel is a conservative part of Switzerland

At least it was 25 years ago when I was there. Much better areas of Switzerland than Basel.

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 07:13 PM

13. Isn't this supposed to be one of those countries where...

..."the Democrats would be far right in Europe" as some people falsely like to claim?

Having the homeless self-deport doesn't sound very progressive to me...

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:46 AM

14. This won't be a long term program

Romanians, in particular, will laugh all the way home. In Romania, you can legally change your name in a quick process taking about 15 minutes (this from a Romanian friend). So they grt a free ticket home, visit with the folks, run to the courthouse, change their name, and head right on back to Switzerland—as someone who never signed any contract.

Ever since the Swiss entered the Schengen Treaty, it meant that they had to allow any EU citizen in that wanted to come. Its welfare system was designed to handle the relatively few Swiss that needed it, not an influx of a hundred thousand Eastern Europeans, most of whom have no job skills and speak no language spoken in Switzerland. Getting a couple of dozen of them to leave Basel will make no difference at all.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:59 AM

15. Dehumanizing the homeless

This is just wrong.

I live in West Michigan, my high school was a catholic high school in the inner city, there were several homeless the school helped. Before I was there, the senior class bought one in particular a one way ticket to Florida, so he could be homeless in Florida and avoid the harsh Winters of Michigan. Seemed like a compassionate idea at the time, and Willy (the homeless guy) took the ticket and left for Florida, but he was very unhappy there, the people were mean and there was less of a support system for him down there. The school stayed in touch and brought Willy back home and eventually rented him an apartment so he didn't have to sleep in the cold anymore. Willy became an institution and a part of the school community. He was disabled and spent the last couple decades of his life in a motorized wheelchair. He always had words of encouragement for the students he talked to.

Help the homeless, sending them away is not a solution and is immoral.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread