HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Family of Rioter Sues Cap...

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:15 PM

Family of Rioter Sues Capitol Police for $10 Million

The family of one of the terrorists who attacked the capital has filed a lawsuit. The victim was a terrorist killed in the act of attacking the capital. https://politicalwire.com/2021/04/30/family-of-rioter-sues-capitol-police-for-10-million/

“The family of Ashli Babbitt, who was fatally shot while participating in the Jan. 6 invasion of the U.S. Capitol, plans to sue the police department and the officer who fired the gun for at least $10 million,” CNBC reports.

“Babbitt and a group of rioters gained access to a hallway outside the Speaker’s Lobby, which leads to the House chamber. She tried to climb head first through the broken glass window of a door separating the hallway from the lobby, which had been barricaded from the inside with furniture.”

No lawsuit has been filed yet. I look forward to reading the pleadings. I wonder if the idiot attorney filing this case is also going to seek to represent the family of Bin Laden and Boston Marathon bomber? Representing the family of terrorists who are killed in the act of terror will be an interesting new area of practice. I doubt that the idiot who is representing the terrorist Ashli Babbitt will face much competition.

Again, I look forward to reading the pleadings in this case.

17 replies, 1076 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to LetMyPeopleVote (Original post)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:17 PM

1. Maybe she should've just complied with the police orders

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Walleye (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:22 PM

2. She was engaged in an act of terror

Reply to this post

Response to LetMyPeopleVote (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 05:13 PM

11. Exactly.. Ashli Babbit was a determined

domestic Terrorist. She was on a mission from trump and she going to carry it out no matter what.

Now her family wants to make money off her treason.

Reply to this post

Response to Cha (Reply #11)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:00 PM

12. She was breaching the doors

That's a tactic of war - and if she didn't know that (I'd be surprised if she didn't), then the Oafkeepers who were using her lighter weight and smaller frame to get into the House Gallery did know that.

If she had gotten in, 1. she give she crowd a boost of energy to continue trying to get in, and 2. breaks the tenuous defense the Capitol Police are trying to rally by forcing two or three officers to break off and contain her traitorous ass behind the defensive line they were trying to hold.
Either case, the crowd gets into the House Gallery where there are still Representatives waiting to be evacuated. Some of whom may have been murdered by the crowd; all of whom probably would sustain injuries during the breach.

No, this Vet says it was justifiable under rules of engagement.

Haele

Reply to this post

Response to haele (Reply #12)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:30 PM

14. Yes, as well as stopping the terrorist

from breaching the House Gallery... he potentially saved lives. David Bailey was doing his job.

I think I read that Babbitt was ordered to stop but she didn't.

Thank you for your service, Haele

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:27 PM

3. I want to see how this goes. Can't believe they're suing over her being in the Capitol....

....without authorization, trying to climb through a window her cohorts broke.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #3)

Sat May 1, 2021, 01:29 PM

17. Actually, they should sue Trump for encouraging them to break the law. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:30 PM

4. Oh, this will not go well for them.

It's such a bad idea for so many, many reasons. The only ones to walk away happy from this will be the lawyers.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 01:39 PM

5. Once again it wasnt a riot

Reply to this post

Response to Fullduplexxx (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 02:02 PM

6. Did the Capitol Police know this?

What do you think happened?

Reply to this post

Response to LetMyPeopleVote (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 02:41 PM

9. The right wing revolted and attempted an insurrection. the capitol police DID know this was coming

They were told to ignore the pro trump supporters and watch out for the anti trump supporters.

Chris miller also wouldnt allow

the issuance of weapons or ammo

To interact physically with protestors

To use riot control agents (flash bangs, tear gas)

The sharing of equipment w/law agencies

To use Intel surveillance reconnaissance or conduct incident arrests

To use helicopters or other air assets

To conduct searches seizures or arrests or similar law enforcement activities

Or to seek any support from any non-d.c. guard

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 02:07 PM

7. Modus operandi:

1. File lawsuit
2. Wait
3. Make an offer of settlement to go away
4. Count the $$

But, OTOH,
1. File lawsuit
2. Adversary claims frivolous lawsuit
3. Case dismissed
4. You pay attorneys fees for Police
5. Ethics violations with treble damages for your attorney

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 02:17 PM

8. "Just another peaceful member of a window-smashing mob

that was only threatening folk in the hope of interfering with a Congressional proceeding! Innocently trying to crawl through a broken window towards an officer with a drawn handgun who kept shouting for her to get back! Surrounded by so many friendly people, how could she have known the officer was serious and might shoot?"

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 03:00 PM

10. Under US law, the family of the terrorist has to wait six months before filing lawsuit

I wanted to read the petition in this lawsuit and see who the attorney was. Guess what, the family of the terrorist cannot file this bogus lawsuit for six months https://www.newsweek.com/us-capitol-police-sued-10-million-killing-unarmed-rioter-1587449

Pressing Babbitt's family's claim will not be quick or easy, he said. U.S. Capitol Police is a legislative-branch federal agency overseen by the Committee on House Administration, chaired by Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.). That narrows the family's legal options. Under the Federal Tort Claims Act, a government agency accused of wrongdoing must have six months to investigate and decide whether to offer a settlement. Unless the agency waives that period of administrative review, Roberts said, he can't go to court until at least the end of October.

I was looking forward to reading this garbage lawsuit and now have to wait

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 06:03 PM

13. I just hope it's a big financial hit for all of them. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 30, 2021, 10:46 PM

15. I suggest that counsel read Rule 11.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 01:25 PM

16. The fellow terrorists arrested who were part of this attack should be charged with felony murder

Federal prosecutors have charged at least eight people who were in the crowd around Babbitt in the moments before she was shot. They include Christopher Ray Grider, a Texas winery owner who is accused of trying to kick in the Speaker’s Lobby doors; Zachary Jordan Alam, of Pennsylvania, who is accused of smashing the glass pane Babbitt attempted to crawl through; and Chad Barrett Jones, of Kentucky, who is accused of smashing another pane with a wood stick that had a Trump flag attached.

Authorities had suggested the possibility of bringing felony murder charges against rioters if Babbitt’s death was a foreseeable consequence of felony conduct by others, according to a person familiar with the matter. But they have since ruled out that possibility, given case law that allows such charges only in instances when an accomplice is responsible for a victim’s death, not a law enforcement officer.

D.C. police are required by law to identify officers involved in serious uses of force within five business days of an incident. They are also required to release video from body cameras of the officers directly involved. The law only applies to D.C. police. Capitol Police are not equipped with body cameras.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread