HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Drought-plagued Californi...

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 02:29 PM

Drought-plagued California may see another devastating fire season

Last year was the worst. We were very close to a serious fire here in North Bay and were all packed and ready to go several times.

Buckle up.

California and the West are falling deeper into drought and, with summer approaching, that portends another severe fire season.

As a disappointing wet season comes to a close and hope for spring rain fades, conditions are worse now than they were at this time last year, with exceptional and extreme drought now found throughout the region.

In California, that doesn't bode well, given that last year's more moderate rainfall deficits, combined with extreme heat waves, ushered in a record-setting fire year. It brought 5 of the 6 largest fires in modern state history, 10,488 destroyed structures and 33 fatalities. Some 4.2 million acres were torched.

More frequent drought, hotter summers and warmer and drier autumns, tied to climate change, are stacking the deck for large and destructive fires during the heart of the fire season. And this year, a lack of rain in spring could mean fires arrive early in some areas.

After a devastating 2020 fire season and a dry autumn, this winter offered a chance to reverse course on mounting rainfall deficits. But despite a significant late-January storm, the 2021 winter and spring months have failed to deliver even normal precipitation, and much of April is forecast to be very dry. In fact, the current water year is now tied for the third driest on record.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Drought-plagued-California-and-western-U-S-may-16091324.php

4 replies, 606 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drought-plagued California may see another devastating fire season (Original post)
Sympthsical Apr 2021 OP
bahboo Apr 2021 #1
alwaysinasnit Apr 2021 #2
Sympthsical Apr 2021 #3
alwaysinasnit Apr 2021 #4

Response to Sympthsical (Original post)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 02:47 PM

1. the new normal out here....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sympthsical (Original post)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 03:14 PM

2. We too, were prepared to evacuate. (We're in Sonoma County.) I guess this is also part of our

new normal.

Reply to this post

Response to alwaysinasnit (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 03:23 PM

3. They've been doing a lot of controlled burns in Suisin

Especially the marshlands.

I raised an eyebrow when I smelled smoke last week. I was like, "Already?!"

Reply to this post

Response to Sympthsical (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 11, 2021, 03:32 PM

4. It is pretty sad to know that controlled burns are the best preventative measures, but only

useful in certain geographical areas.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread