HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » More than 3,600 US health...

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 06:40 PM

More than 3,600 US health care workers died in pandemic, new report finds

The project found 3,607 health care workers died of COVID-19.

By
Jenna Romaine | April 8, 2021

The study, dubbed “Lost on the frontline,” was a 12-month joint effort between the Guardian and Kaiser Health News. The undertaking of the analysis was spurred from the government holding “no comprehensive record” of health care worker deaths, and the tally being held by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) being “a likely undercount,” by its own admission.

More than 100 journalists are said to have worked on the series.

“Lost on the frontline” has come together as a series of investigative reports presented alongside charted data, key findings and an individual profile of each health care worker who died and was added to its tally. It launched following the death of Frank Gabrin, the first recorded emergency room doctor to die from COVID-19.

Gabrin had texted a friend, “Don’t have any PPE that has not been used. No N95 masks – my own goggles – my own face shield.” He was the first death to be logged into “Lost on the frontline.”

snip

On a larger scale, its findings scrutinize the health care system’s failings and political missteps throughout the pandemic that it says could have prevented further deaths.

The yearlong investigation found that two-thirds of the deceased health care workers were people of color, and one-third had been born outside of the United States.

Read More:https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/547094-more-than-3600-us-health-care-workers-died-in

My relative worked under those conditions. At least she is alive to talk about it.

6 replies, 478 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply More than 3,600 US health care workers died in pandemic, new report finds (Original post)
sheshe2 Apr 8 OP
BannonsLiver Apr 8 #1
sheshe2 Apr 8 #3
mnhtnbb Apr 8 #2
sheshe2 Apr 8 #4
bluestarone Apr 8 #5
sheshe2 Apr 8 #6

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 06:45 PM

1. Good God.

I knew it would be bad but that’s jarring.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 07:03 PM

3. To this day my relative is having to wear three masks.

Her N95 is not medical grade and she has to wear it for a weeks shift.

This is something I hope HHS is working on. Spikes are coming and they need to be protected.

PS...in the beginning when Jared and Trump were selling all our PPE, she wore a rain slicker backwards as PPE. It was bulky and hot to wear for an 18 hour shift.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 06:56 PM

2. A college friend's husband--a pediatrician--

doing his residency at Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles when I was there from the mid-'70's to mid '80's died from COVID last summer. He had stayed on at Childrens after his residency and eventually co-founded and directed their liver transplant program. He was 73.

Reply to this post

Response to mnhtnbb (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 07:04 PM

4. I am so sorry for your loss.

Each one of them were heroes.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 07:05 PM

5. Will the QRUMP loyalists ever wake up?

SHAME on all of them! RUMPS name is on all this!! So SAD!

Reply to this post

Response to bluestarone (Reply #5)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 07:11 PM

6. Sad to say they will never wake up.

This, even when they lose their own.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread