HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sen. Marsha Blackburn Moc...

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:41 PM

Sen. Marsha Blackburn Mocked For Griping About Funding Elder Care

The Republican Party’s opposition to President Joe Biden’s proposed infrastructure plan is pushing GOP politicians into taking some bizarre positions in an attempt to own the libs.

Case in point: Tennessee Sen. Marsha Blackburn, who on Wednesday took to Twitter to gripe about various parts of the plan.

Considering Blackburn is a conservative, it’s no surprise she opposed funding climate change studies and green transportation initiatives, but she shocked many by revealing she also has problems with helping the country’s oldest citizens, many of whom vote Republican .

Paying lip service to helping older Americans is Politics 101, so naturally many Twitter users were shocked by the tweet, which was quickly overwhelmed with negative comments.

The Democratic National Committee was quick to point out what Blackburn was saying.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/marsha-blackburn-elder-care-tweet-225301106.html

12 replies, 1132 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sen. Marsha Blackburn Mocked For Griping About Funding Elder Care (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 7 OP
PoindexterOglethorpe Apr 7 #1
Diamond_Dog Apr 7 #3
Callado119 Apr 7 #2
rickyhall Apr 7 #4
gratuitous Apr 7 #5
sheshe2 Apr 7 #6
Rhiannon12866 Apr 7 #7
FoxNewsSucks Apr 7 #8
Rhiannon12866 Apr 7 #10
The Roux Comes First Apr 7 #11
FoxNewsSucks Apr 7 #9
Indykatie Apr 8 #12

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:49 PM

1. I'm going to guess she was orphaned at a young age, and so

has no experience with what the elderly actually need.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:53 PM

3. I would venture to guess

She was born with a lizard brain and has no ability to empathize with anything.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:52 PM

2. She's over 70...

...she may need some of that elder care herself soon..

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:55 PM

4. Evil woman

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:56 PM

5. Oh, and Marsha?

America's priorities are the Biden Administration's priorities. That's why we elected him over the former guy.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:09 PM

6. She can go F herself.

Biden’s ‘Transformative’ Plan Redefines Infrastructure to Include Caregiving

Biden wants to put $400 billion toward expanding quality home or community care. Ai-jen Poo tells The Nation that’s “historic” progress.

“This plan is historic, transformative,” says Ai-jen Poo, the cofounder and executive director of the National Domestic Workers Alliance, who for years has been working to convince policy-makers that improving the circumstance of caregivers for the elderly and people with disabilities must be seen as a critical infrastructure investment.

Biden’s proposal embraces this idea of “care infrastructure,” and adopts the language of advocates, as it seeks to “solidify the infrastructure of our care economy by creating jobs and raising wages and benefits for essential home care workers.”

With a call on Congress to “put $400 billion toward expanding access to quality, affordable home- or community-based care for aging relatives and people with disabilities,” Biden is advancing an agenda that his team says “will help hundreds of thousands of Americans finally obtain the long-term services and support they need, while creating new jobs and offering caregiving workers a long-overdue raise, stronger benefits, and an opportunity to organize or join a union and collectively bargain.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/biden-infrastructure-plan-caregiver/

Two of us have home cared for my mother for three years now. There are not enough resources out there to support us.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:22 PM

7. Whenever I see or hear her, I always wonder who could possibly vote for her...

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #7)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:29 PM

8. Stupid people.

Small-minded, ignorant, bigoted stupid people.

I just want to sit and cry at the realization of how damn many of them there are.

Reply to this post

Response to FoxNewsSucks (Reply #8)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:32 PM

10. I know

But since the news is readily accessible, it really does boggle the mind how many continue to believe conspiracy theories and downright lies.

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #7)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:38 PM

11. I Never Have Heard or Seen Her, and Hope To Preserve That Innocence

But what I hear makes me think that some sort of DNA test must be considered as a requirement for candidacy.

We can't afford too many more of these mules who probably can no longer breed or otherwise interact constructively with our species.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:30 PM

9. Republicons want to steal Social Security,

this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I wish it would get the publicity it deserves.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 12:23 AM

12. Middle Class Families Are Finding Themselves Caring for Elderly Parents in Their Homes

Not everyone can afford nursing homes especially if they are not poor enough to qualify for Medicaid. I have friends in their 60s struggling to care for parents in their 80s and 90s. These families will be excited about any additional support to help them. Another problem is that Medicare doesn't cover routine care for the elderly at home if it isn't "skilled nursing care". We need to change that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread