HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Joe Manchin: I will not v...

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:39 PM

Joe Manchin: I will not vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster

Washington Post

When Americans vote to send their two senators to Washington, they trust that they will work to represent the interests of their state on equal footing with 98 other senators. I have always said, “If I can’t go home and explain it, I can’t vote for it.” And I respect that each of my colleagues has the same responsibility to their constituents.

It’s no accident that a state as small as West Virginia has the same number of senators as California or Texas. It goes to the heart of what representative government is all about. The Founding Fathers understood that the challenges facing a rural or small state would always be very different from a more populous state. Designating each state with the same number of senators — regardless of the population — ensured that rural and small states and the Americans who live in them would always have a seat at the table.

The filibuster is a critical tool to protecting that input and our democratic form of government. That is why I have said it before and will say it again to remove any shred of doubt: There is no circumstance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster. The time has come to end these political games, and to usher a new era of bipartisanship where we find common ground on the major policy debates facing our nation.

Think about the recent history. In 2013, Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) led the charge to change Senate rules to eliminate the filibuster for Cabinet-level nominees and federal judges. I was one of only three Democratic senators to vote against this rule change. In 2017, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) proposed to lower the threshold to end debate on Supreme Court nominees to a simple majority. I voted against that change, too. Despite my votes, both rules changes were enacted and the filibuster was weakened, allowing the majority to more easily enact its agenda with little to no input from the minority.

29 replies, 1030 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply Joe Manchin: I will not vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster (Original post)
brooklynite Apr 7 OP
Fiendish Thingy Apr 7 #1
Post removed Apr 7 #2
mucifer Apr 7 #3
leftieNanner Apr 7 #4
soothsayer Apr 7 #5
FBaggins Apr 7 #7
soothsayer Apr 7 #9
Qutzupalotl Apr 7 #6
FoxNewsSucks Apr 7 #12
rickyhall Apr 7 #8
Dave says Apr 7 #10
Bettie Apr 7 #20
uponit7771 Apr 7 #22
honest.abe Apr 7 #11
TheBlackAdder Apr 8 #27
FoxNewsSucks Apr 7 #13
Celerity Apr 7 #14
Celerity Apr 7 #14
Celerity Apr 7 #16
Fiendish Thingy Apr 8 #23
Celerity Apr 8 #24
a kennedy Apr 7 #17
bahboo Apr 7 #18
msfiddlestix Apr 7 #19
Celerity Apr 8 #25
msfiddlestix Apr 8 #26
Takket Apr 7 #21
uponit7771 Apr 8 #28
UCmeNdc Apr 8 #29

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:42 PM

1. Fuck. That. Guy. Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:45 PM

3. Really bad news for voting rights.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:45 PM

4. Hey Joe!

Do you remember why Harry Reid had to change the rules? Do you remember what Ol' Mitch was doing back then? Do you remember the unprecedented obstruction of EVERYTHING? Judges? Nope. Cabinet Officials? Nope. Legislation? HA! You are kidding me!

Now get your head out of your pompous ass and get some work done. Yes, even for the people of West Virginia.

Damn.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:47 PM

5. Pull his wife off that Appalachian board

Reply to this post

Response to soothsayer (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:50 PM

7. Making clear that it was a bribery attempt?

You do realize that he holds the trump card in that exchange, right?

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #7)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:51 PM

9. Drat

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:48 PM

6. Free slogan for 2022 Senate Democrats:

Make Manchin Irrelevant

Reply to this post

Response to Qutzupalotl (Reply #6)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:11 PM

12. He'll be irrelevant then anyway.

Without passage of HR1/SB1, Democrats will be the permanent minority. Despite having the support of the majority of Americans.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:51 PM

8. Dude's about useless. Traitor to democracy.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:56 PM

10. And like the Repubs won't drop the filibuster...

...as soon as they regain power (which might be as soon as 2022).

Reply to this post

Response to Dave says (Reply #10)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 10:57 PM

20. He'll vote to allow them to nuke it

and call it "bipartisanship".

Reply to this post

Response to Bettie (Reply #20)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 11:16 PM

22. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:57 PM

11. His argument has nothing to do with the filibuster.

A simple majority vote does give every state equal representation. In fact one could argue even more. With the filibuster a minority number of Senators can block any legislation and override the majority thus blocking the will of the people especially those in the small states like WV. A simple majority vote has been been defined as crucial by the founders of the country.

Reply to this post

Response to honest.abe (Reply #11)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 09:07 AM

27. He's taken over the Susan Collins position and he is flexing his power and seeking attention.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:16 PM

13. Hey Joe *******, is this what you call "equal footing"?

"When Americans vote to send their two senators to Washington, they trust that they will work to represent the interests of their state on equal footing with 98 other senators."

The republicon senators already represent about half the number of people that Democratic senators stand for. It's time for Manchin to give the majority of the country what we want, NOT what fucking REPUBLICONS want.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:21 PM

14. so he now is now ruling out even MODIFICATIONS???!!

“There is no circumstance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster,” Manchin wrote. “The time has come to end these political games, and to usher a new era of bipartisanship where we find common ground on the major policy debates facing our nation.”

Also, THIS

The time has come to end these political games, and to usher a new era of bipartisanship where we find common ground on the major policy debates facing our nation

is a bloody JOKE

As if we are ones playing the fucking games and as if the death cult/neo nazi goon squad known as the Republican party is going to all of sudden stop almost 60 years (starting in 1963 and the Goldwater run) of outright RW war with us, the last 27 of which have been full fucking scorched earth (1994 Gingrich Revolution onward).

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:33 PM

16. The filibuster hurts only Senate Democrats -- and Mitch McConnell knows that. The numbers don't lie.

My own add - Sinema wants a 60 vote threshold on EVERY legislative action!. Not joking.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/filibuster-hurts-only-senate-democrats-mitch-mcconnell-knows-n1255787

snip

Cutting off debate in the Senate so legislation can be voted on is done through a procedure called "cloture," which requires three-fifths of the Senate — or 60 votes — to pass. I went through the Senate's cloture votes for the last dozen years from the 109th Congress until now, tracking how many of them failed because they didn't hit 60 votes. It's not a perfect method of tracking filibusters, but it's as close as we can get. It's clear that Republicans have been much more willing — and able — to tangle up the Senate's proceedings than Democrats. More important, the filibuster was almost no impediment to Republican goals in the Senate during the Trump administration. Until 2007, the number of cloture votes taken every year was relatively low, as the Senate's use of unanimous consent agreements skipped the need to round up supporters. While a lot of the cloture motions did fail, it was still rare to jump that hurdle at all — and even then, a lot of the motions were still agreed to through unanimous consent. That changed when Democrats took control of Congress in 2007 and McConnell first became minority leader. The number of cloture motions filed doubled compared to the previous year, from 68 to 139.

Things only got more dire as the Obama administration kicked off in 2009, with Democrats in control of the House, the Senate and the White House. Of the 91 cloture votes taken during the first two years of President Barack Obama's first term, 28 — or 30 percent — failed. All but three failed despite having majority support. The next Congress was much worse after the GOP took control of the House: McConnell's minority blocked 43 percent of all cloture votes taken from passing. Things were looking to be on the same course at the start of Obama's second term. By November 2013, 27 percent of cloture votes had failed even though they had majority support. After months of simmering outrage over blocked nominees grew, Senate Democrats triggered the so-called nuclear option, dropping the number of votes needed for cloture to a majority for most presidential nominees, including Cabinet positions and judgeships. The next year, Republicans took over the Senate with Obama still in office. By pure numbers, the use of the filibuster rules skyrocketed under the Democratic minority: 63 of 123 cloture votes failed, or 51 percent. But there's a catch: Nothing that was being voted on was covered by the new filibuster rules. McConnell had almost entirely stopped bringing Obama's judicial nominees to the floor, including Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.

McConnell defended the filibuster on the Senate floor last week, reminding his counterparts of their dependence on it during President Donald Trump's term. "Democrats used it constantly, as they had every right to," he said. "They were happy to insist on a 60-vote threshold for practically every measure or bill I took up." Except, if anything, use of the filibuster plummeted those four years. There are two main reasons: First, and foremost, the amount of in-party squabbling during the Trump years prevented any sort of coordinated legislative push from materializing. Second, there wasn't actually all that much the Republicans wanted that needed to get past the filibuster in its reduced state after the 2013 rule change. McConnell's strategy of withholding federal judgeships from Obama nominees paid off in spades, letting him spend four years stuffing the courts with conservatives. And when Trump's first Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch, was filibustered, McConnell didn't hesitate to change the rules again. Trump's more controversial nominees also sailed to confirmation without any Democratic votes. Legislatively, there were only two things Republicans really wanted: tax cuts and repeal of Obamacare. The Trump tax cuts they managed through budget reconciliation, a process that allows budget bills to pass through the Senate with just a majority vote.

Republicans tried to do the same for health care in 2017 to avoid the filibuster, failing only during the final vote, when Sen. John McCain's "no" vote denied them a majority. The repeal wouldn't have gone through even if the filibuster had already been in the grave. As a result, the number of successful filibusters plummeted: Over the last four years, an average of 7 percent of all cloture motions failed. In the last Congress, 298 cloture votes were taken, a record. Only 26 failed. Almost all of the votes that passed were on nominees to the federal bench or the executive branch. In fact, if you stripped out the nominations considered in the first two years of Trump's term, the rate of failure would be closer to 15 percent — but on only 70 total votes. There just wasn't all that much for Democrats to get in the way of with the filibuster, which is why we didn't hear much complaining from Republicans. Today's Democrats aren't in the same boat. Almost all of the big-ticket items President Joe Biden wants to move forward require both houses of Congress to agree. And given McConnell's previous success in smothering Obama's agenda for political gain, his warnings about the lack of "concern and comity" that Democrats are trying to usher in ring hollow. In actuality, his warnings of "wait until you're in the minority again" shouldn't inspire concern from Democrats. So long as it applies only to legislation, the filibuster is a Republicans-only weapon. There's nothing left, it seems, for the GOP to fear from it — aside from its eventual demise.

snip

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #16)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 12:27 AM

23. AZ and WV will be flooded w/vaccinated constituents in the streets this summer

Manchin and Sinema better prepare themselves and their staffs- voters won’t be silent.

Reply to this post

Response to Fiendish Thingy (Reply #23)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 12:57 AM

24. The part that is enraging me most is that they apparently are not even open to modifications of

any sort of actually impactful nature. I so hope they come around on that or we all are well fucked.

Another can of worms will be SCOTUS. IF Breyer (and he damn well better or we may lose any shot at replacing him if we lose the Senate in 2022, which a lack of passing these voter rights bills via Manchin and Sinema blockage greatly increases the likelihood of) does retire between now and summer 2022, we are owed an RBG-style progressive Justice. Watch Manchin and Sinema say NOPE, only a slightly conservative centrist type need apply. We all know that Manchin also faces up as having a problematic history of issues with women of colour nominees, and Biden has already stated the next SCOTUS nominee he will pick is a black female. Potential Biden nominees include Leondra Kruger (my favourite pick), who serves on the California Supreme Court, and Ketanji Brown Jackson, a federal district court judge in Washington who served as a law clerk to Breyer. Both are (thank fuck) pretty far left. What are Manchin and Sinema going to say about either one? The last thing we need is another goddamn partially RW voting Justice, which would take the court to 7 to 2 in favour of the RW on many potential cases. If Sotomayor's chronic (and worsening) lifelong Type-1 diabetes forces her out (and we have lost control of either the Senate or the POTUS or both), we may be down to only Kagan as the one and only reliable lefty vote.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:36 PM

17. Hey, and I've said before.......I know people that will help Senator Manchin come to the right

conclusions.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:43 PM

18. time to go all LBJ on his ass...

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:50 PM

19. I think we all know this and it sucks

and this is what we have to live with until (hopefully) we take a half dozen more seats in the Senate in 2022.

I suppose there are newbies unaware of this problem that has been a constant since the beginning of Biden's term.

It's quite the downer as it is demoralizing.

I'd love not ever have to hear or read another headline with Joe Manchin's name mentioned, unless he does a 180.

That would be kind of awesome.

Reply to this post

Response to msfiddlestix (Reply #19)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 01:23 AM

25. We will be incredibly lucky to gain 2 or 3 seats max in 2022. The numbers just are not there for

much more than that, and we have 4 pretty hard seats to defend ourselves (GA, NH, NV, and AZ). Even with the spate of retirements, the only Rethug seats in real danger are the two open seats (PA and NC) plus probably WI (regardless of what the traitor Ron Johnson does). Portman's retirement gives us a slightly better chance at picking up OH, but both that and FL are major, major reaches. Nothing else is in real play, unfortunately (although some people will likely go fantasyland again like they did with KY, SC, and TX in 2020). If Grassley retires, his grandson will likely cruise to victory, for instance. IA is almost at the point of becoming IN and MO, and in fact may well boot out our last Congressional member there, Axne, in 2022 (she hung on by a wee bit over 6000 votes, around 1.3%, in 2020, and is a huge target by the Rethugs to take out in 2022).

Lack of passing these multiple voting rights bills will make it all even harder. The House is likely gone (more likely than the Senate even) in 2022, barring some serious major systemic developments. First midterms for our sitting Dem POTUS's have not been kind at all to us. 1994 and 2010 (net 63 House seats and a net 7 Senates seats lost after the election day, compared to where we were January 21, 2009) were bloodbaths.

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #25)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 08:25 AM

26. oh geeze

I fear you are spot on. The hell we're dealing with now is going to look like fairyland compared to how it's likely to turn out.

This old lady might start considering "tuning out" completely come 2022. What else to do when there is no hope?

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 11:01 PM

21. Then the Biden presidency is over

And in 2022 we will lose congress as every single rethug candidate says “look! They ran the country for two years and got nothing done!”

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 09:37 AM

28. Hmmmmm, hold Manchin responsible for his "30 days" metric !!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 11:37 AM

29. Morning Joe mocks Joe Manchin for wanting to work with Republicans: 'I want my cat to play Chopin!'

Scarborough argued that Manchin's desire for bipartisanship seems highly unlikely to generate results given how rigid the GOP has been at saying "no" to bills whenever a Democrat is in the White House.

"He wants to work with the Republicans," Scarborough said. "Well, I want my cat, Meatball, to play Chopin. I really do! It would be nice, as I was having an early dinner, to hear Meatball get on the piano and play Chopin. He's not going to do it."

https://www.rawstory.com/morning-joe-mocks-joe-manchin/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread