HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Alabama Secretary of Stat...

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:07 PM

Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill admits affair, won't run for U.S. Senate: There's no excuse

Hat tip, Joe.My.God.

Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill admits affair, won’t run for U.S. Senate: ‘There’s no excuse’

Updated 6:35 PM; Today 3:58 PM

By Connor Sheets | [email protected] and Kyle Whitmire | [email protected]
After initially denying reports of an affair, Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill on Wednesday afternoon told AL.com that he had “an inappropriate relationship” with a 44-year-old woman and will not make an anticipated run for the U.S. Senate.

“I will obviously not be a candidate for the United States Senate nor will I be seeking any other elected position in 2022, because I think it’s important to me to make sure that I become the man that I have been before and that I am working to put myself in the position to be the leader that I have been before, as a husband, as a father, as a friend and as an elected official,” Merrill said.

{snip}

Born in Wedowee in 1963, Merrill grew up in Heflin before attending the University of Alabama, where he was president of the Student Government Association for the 1986-87 school year. He completed two congressional internships then held a series of roles in marketing, business development and community relations from 1988 to 2015.

Merrill was elected to the state House of Representatives in 2010, remaining in the legislature through the end of 2014, when he was elected as secretary of state. He was reelected in November 2018, and his current term in office officially ends in January 2023.

{snip}

5 replies, 628 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill admits affair, won't run for U.S. Senate: There's no excuse (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Apr 7 OP
leftieNanner Apr 7 #1
NoRethugFriends Apr 7 #2
PJMcK Apr 7 #3
VarryOn Apr 7 #4
Hekate Apr 7 #5

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:10 PM

1. What the Hell is wrong with Alabama??

Oh. OK. I answered my own question.

Geez.

Robert Bentley had the same problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to leftieNanner (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:17 PM

2. The real shocking this about this is that he didn't mention religion. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to leftieNanner (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 08:17 PM

3. Right?!

However, I will say this: Alabama's highways are beautiful and extremely well maintained. Further, they have excellent and clean rest stops.

Otherwise, Alabama is a shithole.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 09:50 PM

4. If his own wife can't trust him...well, you know the rest. Nt

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 11:51 PM

5. Give the guy credit for canoodling with someone over 18, right?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread