HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Superpowers eye Greenland...

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 07:15 PM

Superpowers eye Greenland vote in scramble for Earth's treasures

AS elections go, it sounds rather minor-league: a contest with just 40,000 voters, triggered by a planning row in one of the most remote, inhospitable corners of the planet.

On Tuesday, though, diplomats from Washington to Beijing will be watching carefully as Greenland holds snap parliamentary polls.

With a total of population of just 56,000, its electorate is smaller than some British town councils yet their vote over the vexed issue of the Kvanefjeld mine project could have implications not just for Greenland, but the global superpower race.

Overlooking the tiny fishing settlement of Narsaq, where locals live mainly off catching whales and seals, the project aims to tap into one of world's biggest deposits of "rare earth" minerals - materials as vital to the 21st-century as oil was to the 20th.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/superpowers-eye-greenland-vote-scramble-124754206.html

3 replies, 682 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Superpowers eye Greenland vote in scramble for Earth's treasures (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Sunday OP
iemitsu Sunday #1
scarletwoman Monday #3
Buns_of_Fire Sunday #2

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 08:20 PM

1. Poor Greenland. They will rue the day they found rare-earth metals there.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to iemitsu (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 5, 2021, 12:23 AM

3. My thoughts exactly.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 08:35 PM

2. If only the former guy hadn't insisted on paying for it with a personal check,

it could've been our 53rd state (after D.C. and Puerto Rico).

But the Danes ain't no dummies. They knew better than to accept a check from you-know-who.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread