HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Business helped create th...

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 01:07 PM

Business helped create this voting mess in Republican states.

I'm talking about you, ALEC. They're trying to be on the right side of history now that they realize the money power of ordinary people of all shades and ethnicity. But they have been paying Republican and conservative Dems for many years pushing the ALEC agenda with state and national legislators to be "business friendly." How many of these businesses still belong to ALEC? How many taking their money elsewhere? How many of them are overtly telling the politicians they have donated to for years through ALEC they will get no more of their money? I don't have an updated list of ALEC members, but let's just say I'm a bit skeptical of their commitment to fairness since there is nothing fair about ALEC's tentacles in government. They call themselves nonpartisan but the results of their meddling show otherwise.

4 replies, 475 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Business helped create this voting mess in Republican states. (Original post)
halfulglas Apr 2021 OP
CrispyQ Apr 2021 #1
maxrandb Apr 2021 #2
LiberalLovinLug Apr 2021 #3
halfulglas Apr 2021 #4

Response to halfulglas (Original post)

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 01:15 PM

1. I'm skeptical of some of the corporations, too.

Most of them give to both parties. Will they count on Americans' short memories & donate to repubs next year?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 01:38 PM

2. Just one minor counter to your excellent post

They are NOT "trying to be on the right side of history now".

They are trying to "pretend" that they are on the right side of history.

Being on the right side of history would mean forcefully opposing the bill and pulling the All Star game BEFORE the bill became law.

What's going on now is ass-covering, or as we called it in the Navy; "Turd Polishing"

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 01:39 PM

3. Short answer.....no, they won't cut them off

From another angle, not only is it unfair, corrupted, palm-greasing, for politicians to dole out their loyalty rewards, via tax cuts, pollution regs rollbacks, etc. for continued financial support from corporations....

But its also unfair to the businesses themselves. That they know they have to spend money...on both sides....every damn election, that they could put back towards reinvestment, in equipment, workers, or wages. If they dared to only contribute to one party, and that party doesn't win, their wants and concerns are sent to the bottom of the pile.

Publicly financed elections, with spending limits, and could have also transparent limited corporate and personal contribution limits would make it fairer for everyone, most of all the average voter.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalLovinLug (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 4, 2021, 02:13 PM

4. Absolutely public financed elections and spending limits.

And that doesn't mean that $1 voluntary contribution. We have to get serious about this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread