HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DHS watchdog finds widesp...

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:12 PM

DHS watchdog finds widespread mistreatment of immigrants at ICE facility

DHS watchdog finds widespread mistreatment of immigrants at ICE facility

By Camilo Montoya-Galvez

Updated on: April 2, 2021 / 4:08 PM / CBS News

Immigrants held at an immigration detention center in Arizona were subject to widespread mistreatment last year, ranging from inadequate medical care to excessive punishment for peacefully protesting lax coronavirus mitigation efforts, an internal government watchdog found.

During a remote inspection of the La Palma Correctional Center in Eloy, Arizona, the Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General (OIG) found violations that jeopardized "the health, safety, and rights" of detainees, according to a report published Thursday. Citing nearly 1,300 grievances from immigrants held at the detention facility, the internal watchdog said detainees depicted "an environment of mistreatment and verbal abuse."

Immigrants held at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center in Eloy, which is run by a for-profit prison company, told inspectors they held peaceful protests in April 2020 because they were concerned that staff was not providing them the necessary protective equipment to curb the spread of the coronavirus. The detention center's staff deployed pepper spray to quell one of the protests on April 13, according to Thursday's report and surveillance footage.

Short article. Call me shocked. No oversight, appeal process, lawyers, or ability to communicate with the outside world. And no one is trying to stop it to both documented and undocumented immigrants. With no ability to check them, that's grounds for more than just physical abuse.

Look at what the CBP did to my wife on Feb 27th at SEATAC Int'l Airport before they kicked her out, even those she has an American spouse and a valid, legally issued visa. I asked her, when she landed on her deportation plane in Shanghai, if those people sexually abused her as well as emotionally, mentally, and psychologically abused her. Luckily, they didn't.

ICE, CBP, Border Patrol, and the TSA needs a major overhaul and oversight. The rock needs to be kicked over immediately.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigration-mistreatment-ice-detention-dhs-inspector-general/

3 replies, 358 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply DHS watchdog finds widespread mistreatment of immigrants at ICE facility (Original post)
AZLD4Candidate Apr 2 OP
2naSalit Apr 2 #1
AZLD4Candidate Apr 2 #2
BigmanPigman Apr 2 #3

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Original post)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:20 PM

1. They need to be disbanded and replaced.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:30 PM

2. And they need to be blacklisted from any law enforcement.

They use their "discretion" to target selected people, ask leading questions similar to "do you still beat your wife" and their decision is final, hiding behind "just doing my job" and "it's the law."

"Just doing my job" didn't work after WW2.

"It's the law" is not acceptable too because Jim Crow were laws, the Mann Act is STILL the law, anti-miscegenation laws were the law, Japanese internment camps were the law, the Chinese Exclusion Act was the law, anti-sodomy laws were the law (targeting acts homosexual would do), and anti vagrancy laws are the law (targeting the homeless). So was the fugitive slave law, denying women the ability to vote, and making voting contingent on owning land.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:37 PM

3. Agree.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread