HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » well we tried - but... it...

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 10:40 PM

well we tried - but... it's all too insane. we can't do it.

We'd been TV free for 11 years. Joyfully so. Then Joe won the election, so on January 20, we decided to wade back in on a tiny scale - we'd watch the PBS Newshour.

That lasted until a few weeks ago when it hit us once again why we left it in the first place. It's like groundhog day - the same stuff every day, just grinding agonizingly and slowly along. Discussions loaded with right wingers, bothsideserism, and having to view the agony of the totally fucked up shenanigans played by the right wing.

So - back to just reading a bit of news on the web - reading DU and a few other sites. We find we can't subject ourselves to stuff that simply doesn't make sense - bold lies (particularly the BIG LIE), propaganda, watching the media get outplayed by rotten politicians.

The TV is one again turned off - except for movies!

16 replies, 1360 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply well we tried - but... it's all too insane. we can't do it. (Original post)
NewHendoLib Mar 4 OP
keithbvadu2 Mar 4 #1
Ms. Toad Mar 4 #2
2naSalit Mar 4 #4
Ms. Toad Mar 4 #5
localroger Mar 4 #6
magicarpet Mar 4 #3
JCMach1 Mar 4 #7
catrose Mar 4 #8
IbogaProject Mar 5 #9
pecosbob Mar 5 #14
SergeStorms Mar 5 #10
dianaredwing Mar 5 #11
pecosbob Mar 5 #12
Cha Mar 5 #13
kcr Mar 5 #15
leftyladyfrommo Mar 5 #16

Response to NewHendoLib (Original post)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 10:46 PM

1. Crocodile Dundee turns on the tv in the hotel room...

Crocodile Dundee turns on the tv in the hotel room...

'I saw television once many years ago.'

(rerun - I Love Lucy was playing)

'Same show'

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 10:49 PM

2. Haven't had TV since 2009.

We're too far from transmission towers to pick up a digital transmission - and too cheap/stubborn to pay for cable/satellite/etc.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:02 PM

4. I haven't had one since...

1980!

I livestream some news stuff but that's it. The rest is news I find here and a couple other spots online.

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:04 PM

5. I like it on for background while I'm working.

But not willing to pay cable prices for background noise. I pay under $10/month for netflix. It provides suitable background noise - and mostly I just read the news or listen to the radio.

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:12 PM

6. Me too!

I was 16 and at home bored during summer vacation from high school and there was nothing on the tube but soap operas. (No cable, 5 stations total in NOLA.) I finally punched the off button out of sheer frustration. My parents had the thing on from first light to lights out. The silence was -- refreshing. I continued to watch the few series I was following but didn't pick up any new ones and when they went off the air, well no reason to turn on the TV except (as was common in that day) to use it as a monitor for my computer. The frantic pacing of modern ads drives me bugfuck, people who do watch TV become used to it and they keep turning the volume higher and higher and to my ears it's just STOP SHOUTING AT ME.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 10:57 PM

3. I hear ya,... we did that 15 years ago.

Just the laptop, movies, select news sources, and DU

Too much bullshit out there,... too much propaganda,... too much perception management,... too much bold faced, habitual, prevaricating liars.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:19 PM

7. Listening to Bauhaus right now on my TV... So depends what you do with it...

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:44 PM

8. Early 90s for me. All we had was an old TV, and when the format or something changed

and it didn't work any more, we threw it out and didn't get another. I watched the inauguration streamed on my computer. We have awful internet out here in rural America, but occasionally I can get a movie. In the Before Times, I'd check out DVDs from the library, movies and the occasional series that came highly recommended. Elementary, Archer, the new Perry Mason, and Mrs. Maisel are what I've watched in recent years. The news? It's everywhere. I can read it and not have to watch someone's performance around it.

Not missing TV.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 12:51 AM

9. TV makes you dumber by the hour

I read somewhere that so little information comes over a typical informative tv show over an hour that you actually get behind compared to reading or even just thinking. I have preferred to read my news since I was in middle school. My preference from being able to chose what to read. I use here, daily kos and realclearpolitics for a glimpse of centrist and right viewpoints, and for deeper reads I like counterpunch. This has been my #1 for years now. I finally use jimmyr.com to follow, tech, culture and science.

Reply to this post

Response to IbogaProject (Reply #9)

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 03:15 AM

14. My pops used to call it the idiot box

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 01:43 AM

10. Good for you.

I admire people who can cut the cord completely. I cut the cable, but I subscribe to Hulu and Netflix and I absolutely have to have the National Geographic channel. I can do without the rest though.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 01:45 AM

11. I watch a few movies and docs

But haven't had regular television since Katrina and don't miss it at all. One of the last things I saw on regular television was that huge monster filling the Gulf. Guess it turned me off.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 03:09 AM

12. Clean since 2010

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 03:14 AM

13. I hear ya! I stopped in Nov 2002

& Never Went Back!!

I do DU & now Twitter for my Reality Information!

Not Manipulated or Manufactured.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 07:51 AM

15. I think traditional tv is on the way out

Viewership for network television is in steady decline. I'm like you. I stream movies and series and read my news online.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 08:30 AM

16. I haven't had a TV for years.

I get all I need on my phone.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread