HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » WP columnist Max Boot sug...

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:08 AM

WP columnist Max Boot suggested Comcast might soon "need to step in and kick Fox News off."

Looking at political violence in the U.S., a New Jersey state legislator sent a text message to an executive of cable television giant Comcast: “You feed this garbage, lies and all." The cable channels Fox News and Newsmax were “complicit" in the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol insurrection, the lawmaker, Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, said. Like other cable companies, Comcast brings those channels into American homes. What, Moriarty asked, was Comcast going to do about them in the wake of the assault on democracy?

A few days later, Washington Post columnist Max Boot suggested Comcast might soon “need to step in and kick Fox News off," as a consequence of its assistance to Trump's incitement of insurrection. A similar suggestion by Democratic members of Congress ignited considerable controversy and became a subject of contention at a subsequent hearing on “disinformation and extremism in the media."

A CNN media reporter, Oliver Darcy, observed that Facebook, Twitter and Google have faced significant pressure to curb disinformation on their platforms – especially since Jan. 6. But, Darcy said, “somehow [cable providers] have escaped scrutiny and entirely dodged this conversation," even though they are also “lending their platforms to dishonest companies that profit off of disinformation and conspiracy theories."

As a researcher who studies both television news distribution and how profit motivates the spread of falsehoods, I'm curious about whether it's feasible – or wise – for cable companies to play moderator to the channels they carry.

SOURCE: https://www.rawstory.com/cable-news-misinformation/

10 replies, 1022 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to BigBearJohn (Original post)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:11 AM

1. Comcast, Hughes, Dish, Cox - all should be pressured now.

I'm sick of paying for a channel that Not only would I never watch, I don't think should be allowed to operate.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:13 AM

2. "The cable channels Fox News and Newsmax were "complicit" in the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol insurrection."

Yup! On 1/5/21 in the Ainsley Earhardt was pushing the, "Well a lot of people still have questions
about the election."

BTW I just saw Fox and Friends for a few seconds as i was channel surfing up to the Weather Channel.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:16 AM

3. Why just Comcast?

I find these focused demands to be rather odd. If this applies to Comcast, why would it not apply to every cable provider who includes the channels? I'll answer that - it does apply.

While we're on the subject, they can get rid of RT since it's state-sponsored propaganda (the protestations to the contrary of some on the left, particularly fans of those who appear on RT, notwithstanding) and OANN.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:47 AM

4. Just require all subscription tv services to provide a la carte pricing -- unbundle that shit.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:59 AM

5. I got rid of Comcast a long time ago. Problem solved.

Comcast can't get rid of Fox because Fox would scream that it was anti-competitive.

And they'd be correct.

Comcast has it's own bullshit television news and opinion channels.

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #5)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:22 PM

6. Which wraps a ribbon around this package of double speak hypocrisy.

Can't let competition undermine the free market, can we?

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:29 PM

7. I've had Verizon Fios for over 10 years and I say the same thing

If I get the cheapest plan of "basic cable" stations then Faux Noise is included for no extra charge. But if I want to get MSNBC - and I do - then I must pay extra for the next grade up, whatever they call it. I now get MSNBC along with 500 other channels that I never watch. But I pay extra for the one channel that I do want. And I NEVER turn on Fox Noise, ever.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:34 PM

8. Fox News should be put on the same tier as the other cable networks

with a political viewpoint like MSNBC. CNN should be the only cable news show offered with a basic cable subscription.

Since Comcast owns NBC or visa versa, I have no idea why all the NBC programming isn't offered as part of its basic cable package.

Reply to this post

Response to Deminpenn (Reply #8)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:47 PM

9. Because the price of the "basic tier" would be unaffordable for many people.

Reply to this post

Response to onenote (Reply #9)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 02:07 PM

10. Comcast/NBC are one company

Comcast should want to carry its own programming on the basic tier of cable. It's in their interest to do so.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread