HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Far-Right Groups Are Spli...

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 07:35 AM

Far-Right Groups Are Splintering in Wake of the Capitol Riot

Just eight weeks after the Capitol riot, some of the most prominent groups that participated are fracturing amid a torrent of backbiting and finger-pointing. The fallout will determine the future of some of the most high-profile far-right organizations and raises the specter of splinter groups that could make the movement even more dangerous.

“This group needs new leadership and a new direction,” the St. Louis branch of the Proud Boys announced recently on the encrypted messaging service Telegram, echoing denunciations by at least six other chapters also rupturing with the national organization. “The fame we’ve attained hasn’t been worth it.”

Similar rifts have emerged in the Oath Keepers, a paramilitary group that recruits veterans, and the Groyper Army, a white nationalist organization focused on college campuses and a vocal proponent of the false claim that Donald J. Trump won the 2020 presidential election.

The shake-up is driven in part by the large number of arrests in the aftermath of the Capitol riot and the subsequent crackdown on some groups by law enforcement. As some members of the far right exit more established groups and strike out on their own, it may become even more difficult to track extremists who have become more emboldened to carry out violent attacks.

“What you are seeing right now is a regrouping phase,” said Devin Burghart, who runs the Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights, a Seattle-based center that monitors far-right movements. “They are trying to reassess their strengths, trying to find new foot soldiers and trying to prepare for the next conflict.”

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/us/extremism-capitol-riot.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

19 replies, 2543 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Far-Right Groups Are Splintering in Wake of the Capitol Riot (Original post)
CountAllVotes Mar 2 OP
abqtommy Mar 2 #1
oasis Mar 2 #2
Miguelito Loveless Mar 2 #9
smb Mar 3 #17
magicarpet Mar 2 #3
underpants Mar 2 #4
Historic NY Mar 2 #5
Lonestarblue Mar 2 #6
wnylib Mar 2 #7
dalton99a Mar 2 #8
OldBaldy1701E Mar 2 #10
modrepub Mar 2 #11
NJCher Mar 3 #16
Javaman Mar 2 #12
CountAllVotes Mar 2 #14
smb Mar 3 #18
CountAllVotes Mar 3 #19
Gore1FL Mar 3 #15
SergeStorms Mar 2 #13

Response to CountAllVotes (Original post)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:04 AM

1. Trust me when I say these far-right groups don't know what conflict is. Yet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:10 AM

2. Rats gonna rat on each other during the Capitol riot probe. nt

Reply to this post

Response to oasis (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:04 PM

9. Well, the head of the Proud Boys

was a federal fink, so that's bound to cause minor vexation in the ranks.

Reply to this post

Response to oasis (Reply #2)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 07:27 AM

17. ♩ ♬ They Call Him Flipper, Flipper.... ♪ ♫ nt

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:17 AM

3. Rat away,...

Rat out the masterminds and the ring leaders who called the shots to violently over throw Democracy at the US Capitol.

Charge the big-shots with conspiracy.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 08:39 AM

4. The timing of the outing of Tario seemed strange to me.

I figured his time was short at that point. He bother really doesn’t fit in with the group and he clearly is enjoying the fame of it. Not a good look for a supposedly hard scrambled membership. I’d like to think this was a calculated move but the article points out that this could lead to some hardcore cells.

Yes by all accounts the white supremacist groups dissolved after Charlottesville. This was to be expected after Jan. 6th regardless of what happened. “Heroes” and legends were going to be made with the true believers becoming apparent or at least people making moves toward leadership.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 09:15 AM

5. Getting them to rat out each other to save their own individual ass's...

the more locked up and prosecuted the better....

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 09:16 AM

6. Our domestic terrorism laws need to be strengthened.

These people are domestic terrorists in a national group with local affiliates. How are they not organized criminals?

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 09:24 AM

7. They will continue to be a danger to

the general public, but the bigger danger to democracy right now are the elected govrenors and members of Congress who are in positions to do even more damage to the governing process, intitutions, and voting rights.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 09:26 AM

8. Kick

The top leaders of the Groyper Army, Nick Fuentes and Patrick Casey, have been in a bitter public dispute in the weeks since the riot. Mr. Casey accused Mr. Fuentes of putting followers at risk of arrest by continuing high-profile activities. Mr. Fuentes wrote on Telegram, “It’s not easy but it is important to keep pushing forward now more than ever.”

Among the Proud Boys, a far-right fight club that claims to defend the values of Western civilization, the recriminations were compounded by revelations that Enrique Tarrio, the organization’s leader, once worked as an informant for law enforcement. Despite denials from Mr. Tarrio, the news has thrown the organization’s future into question.

“We reject and disavow the proven federal informant, Enrique Tarrio, and any and all chapters that choose to associate with him,” the Alabama chapter of the Proud Boys announced on Telegram using language identical to other chapters.

Extremist organizations tend to experience internal upheaval after any cataclysmic event, as seen in the case of the 2017 rally in Charlottesville, Va., that left one woman dead, or the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, which killed 168 people, including 19 children.

Daryl Johnson, who has studied the Three Percenters and other paramilitary groups, said the current infighting could lead to further hardening and radicalization. “When these groups get disrupted by law enforcement, all it does is scatter the rats,” he said. “It does not get rid of the rodent problem.”

President Biden has pledged to make fighting extremism a priority and Merrick B. Garland, his nominee for attorney general, said during his Senate confirmation hearings that he promised to “do everything in the power of the Justice Department” to stop domestic terrorism. Mr. Garland, the lead prosecutor in the Oklahoma City bombing case, also said the United States was facing “a more dangerous period than we faced in Oklahoma City” or in recent memory.

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #8)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 12:17 PM

10. And to think

Most of this would all be moot if the cops had just done what they would have if that mob had been anything other than glow-in-the-dark white.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 02:23 PM

11. Me Hopes

That the splintering help dissipate some of the anger in some of these folks. Personal reflection, without outside interference from other yokels, may cause some to have a change of heart. At the very least it weakens the movement. Kind of opposite of "many hands make light work". There is power in number, for better or worse.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 01:34 AM

16. Tario now admits he was an informer

And his plan is to run for office.

Source is cnn interview posted on YouTube.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 04:07 PM

12. and the 3% halfwits have disbanded. LOL

they're all piss and vinegar until someone fucks up aka the Capital riot, then they are all running for the corners. LOL

they are nothing more than cosplaying military wanna-bes.

Reply to this post

Response to Javaman (Reply #12)

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 11:10 PM

14. They showed the entire world what useless parasites they are

I want my fuggin' organic food!

I want my this ...

Yeah well I hope they all get what they deserve!

PRISON!

Reply to this post

Response to CountAllVotes (Reply #14)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 07:30 AM

18. Tell Him "You'll Get The Joe Arpaio Menu And Like It!" nt

Reply to this post

Response to smb (Reply #18)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 12:02 PM

19. That was THE END for me

I gotta have my ORGANIC FOOD or else I'll just die mommy!

DIE!

JAYSUS!

Reply to this post

Response to Javaman (Reply #12)

Wed Mar 3, 2021, 12:46 AM

15. I like to call them the 3 Percentilers. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 2, 2021, 05:54 PM

13. "Now where's that rock I crawled out from under"?

Thing is, these dullards are like Hermit Crabs. Any rock will do as long as it covers their soft underbelly. Like a bad rash, they'll be back IF we're not vigilant. These people are, like their hero Trump, cowards. Shine a little light on them and they scatter like cockroaches. The FBI has to keep the heat on them, and the entire country has to take a long, hard look at the racism inherent to our society. And we must do something about it, not just engage in self reflection, we must change.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread