HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » good read - Slate "Republ...

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 09:37 PM

good read - Slate "Republicans' New Strategy Is to Pretend Trump Never Happened"

At Merrick Garland’s confirmation hearing, GOP senators remembered to be very upset about the Obama years.

BY DAHLIA LITHWICK
FEB 22, 20217:25 PM

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/02/republicans-pretend-trump-never-happened.html

In many ways, Merrick Garland’s Monday confirmation hearing for Attorney General was almost exactly what his 2016 hearing for the Supreme Court would have been. The issues raised by Republican senators—illegal immigration, guns, executive power, big tech—are pretty much standard GOP fare. You could be excused if, based on the proceedings, it felt as if Donald Trump had never happened.

Ranking Minority Member Chuck Grassley set the Republican tone for the proceedings by opening with a long list of stock grievances and gripes, none of which had anything to do with Judge Garland. Explaining away his refusal to hold a hearing for Garland as a SCOTUS nominee back in 2016, Grassley copped to the free floating rudeness, but then highlighted his own pain. He referenced Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s 2018 hearing, voicing his anger that Democrats had had the temerity to call Christine Blasey Ford to testify about an alleged sexual assault: “Yes, it is true that I did not give Judge Garland a hearing,” Grassley said. “I also didn’t mischaracterize his record. I didn’t attack his character. I did not go through his high school yearbook. I didn’t make his wife leave the hearing in tears. I took a position on hearings and I stuck to it and that’s it. I admire Judge Garland’s public service.” In other words, something something something, remember Kavanaugh? Let the umbraging begin!

snip

But the Republicans? Still full of rage. In describing a Justice Department that had been “politicized and weaponized,” under President Obama, Senator Ted Cruz seemingly without irony was silent about what came after. Josh Hawley was near-tears as he described the scourge of “political targeting” of innocent Republicans by the “Obama-Biden Whitehouse” and all the unfair attacks on Republicans. Sen. Mike Lee tried to bait Garland into agreeing with him that Kristen Clarke, tapped to helm the DOJ’s civil rights division was an anti-Semite. (Garland declined to take the bait.) It’s hard to know whether Hawley, Cruz, and Lee have somehow just forgotten the Trump years themselves, or if they really believe that the rest of us possess the short-term memories of a goldfish. Either way, it’s something of a relief to set our clocks back to the old-timey days of free-floating GOP whining about Obama and Eric Holder and gun control and all the ways Republicans have been made to suffer at the hands of bloodthirsty Democrats over the past few years. The free floating whining is probably the most tangible symbol of the return to business as usual.

snip

last para

It was an elegant formulation, and one that, with all the talk of Hunter Biden and James Comey and political prosecutions of innocent Republicans, felt both relevant and deeply out of step with our current moment. Perhaps more than anything, it was an indication that Garland, and the Justice Department, and the country are moving forward, and onward. In response, Senate Republicans appear to be retreating to the bland comforts on offer back in 2016, hand wringing over the Fast and the Furious (really Ted Cuz?) and the good old days in which Donald J. Trump was still just a TV clown.
This is the DU member formerly known as NRaleighLiberal.

3 replies, 620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply good read - Slate "Republicans' New Strategy Is to Pretend Trump Never Happened" (Original post)
NewHendoLib Feb 22 OP
Iliyah Feb 22 #1
NewHendoLib Feb 22 #2
Thomas Hurt Feb 22 #3

Response to NewHendoLib (Original post)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 09:44 PM

1. Well the pandemic is a hoax . . .

the economy only became great when shithole took over. The election was stolen. It was Antifa that stormed the capitol.

etc.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Iliyah (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 09:44 PM

2. yep. gets old (but obviously not for them - it's all they've got)

This is the DU member formerly known as NRaleighLiberal.

Reply to this post

Response to NewHendoLib (Original post)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:07 PM

3. Can't, he is the Lord and Savior of the RWNJ base.

Got to have the Idiot King to get the idiots' votes.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread