HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Forced to Wait by Trump, ...

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:02 AM

Forced to Wait by Trump, First Group of Asylum Seekers Finally Allowed to Enter the United States

February 19, 2021
Forced to Wait by Trump, First Group of Asylum Seekers Finally Allowed to Enter the United States
Fernanda Echavarri

On Friday, the first group of asylum seekers forced to wait in Mexico for much of the last two years under a Trump-era doctrine began to enter the United States. Their arrival marks an official end to Trump’s callous “Remain in Mexico” policy. And the start of the government’s processing of approximately 25,000 active asylum cases for the people marooned in border cities.

People who were placed under Migrant Protection Protocols and who still have an open case can now enter their information on this website. If they’re eligible, they receive a date and time for their appointment at one of three ports of entry. On Friday it was only San Diego, but the plan is to expand to the ports at Brownsville Monday and El Paso by February 26.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is helping triage in Mexico and will help administer the required COVID-19 test for those who are called to be processed. Once in the United States, asylum seekers will be allowed to continue their asylum cases in the immigration court closest to their final destination. Organizations like the Jewish Family Services of San Diego plan to assist people after they enter.

more...

https://www.motherjones.com/mojo-wire/2021/02/forced-to-wait-by-trump-first-group-of-asylum-seekers-finally-allowed-to-enter-the-united-states/

8 replies, 407 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Forced to Wait by Trump, First Group of Asylum Seekers Finally Allowed to Enter the United States (Original post)
babylonsister Feb 22 OP
MichMan Feb 22 #1
Kashkakat v.2.0 Feb 22 #2
babylonsister Feb 22 #5
MichMan Feb 22 #6
babylonsister Feb 22 #7
Karadeniz Feb 22 #3
babylonsister Feb 22 #4
crickets Feb 22 #8

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:05 AM

1. No quarantine?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:08 AM

2. Cant wait another few mo? Cant we get Covid under control first? Makes no sense nt

Reply to this post

Response to Kashkakat v.2.0 (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:23 AM

5. I think they've waited long enough.

They're getting tested for covid before they're allowed in.

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 12:06 PM

6. Which only means they didn't have it at the time they were tested

Doesn't mean there hasn't been any exposure that hasn't yet shown up.

It takes almost a week after exposure before someone will test positive. That is generally why people are required to quarantine for 10 days.

[link:https://nortonhealthcare.com/news/how-long-after-exposure-to-test-positive-for-covid/|

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 12:14 PM

7. I don't know what the current rules

are. I imagine guidelines for quarantining will be followed, hopefully w/o the 'lock them up' mentality.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:08 AM

3. It made me so happy to share in these people's happiness that they must now be feeling, on their

Way to putting fear and violence behind them... I hope our people treat them as they themselves would want to be treated.

Reply to this post

Response to Karadeniz (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 10:21 AM

4. Makes me happy also! nt

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 22, 2021, 01:17 PM

8. Good. K&R for visibility.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread